- Volume 6 Issue 2
Ductile behavior and strength of concrete-filled steel(CFS) piers was supported by many quasi-static cyclic loading tests. This test method, however, only estimates the member′s deformation capacity under escalating and repetitive displacement and ignores dynamic and random aspects of an earthquake load. Therefore, to understand complete seismic behavior of the structure against an earthquake, dynamic tests such as shaking table test and pseudo-dynamic tests are required as well as quasi-static tests. In this paper, following "Seismic Performance of Concrete-Filled Steel Piers Part I : Quasi-Static Cyclic Loadint Test", the seismic behavior of CFS and steel piers designed for I-Soo overpass in Seoul in investigated by the pseudo-dynamic test. In addition, the residual strength of both piers after an earthquake is estimated by the quasi-static test. The results show that both piers have satisfactory ductility and strength against well-known EI Centro earthquake although the CFS pier has better strength and energy dissipation than the steel pier.
- Usami, T. and Kumar, S., “Damage evaluation in steel box column by pseudodynamic tests,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 122, No. 6, 1996, pp. 635-642. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:6(635)
- Mahin, S. A., Shing, P. B., Thewalt, C. R., and Hanson, R. D., “Pseudodynamic test method-Current status and future direction,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 115, No. 8, 1989, pp. 2113-2128. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1989)115:8(2113)
- Takanashi, K. and Nakashima, M., “A note on the evaluation of damage in steel structures under cyclic loading,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 113, No. 7, 1987, pp. 1014-1032.
- Kumar, S., Itoh, I., Saizuka, K., and Usami, T., “Pseudodynamic testing of scaled models,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 123, No. 4, 1997, pp. 524-526. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:4(524)
- Nakanishi, K., Kitada, T., and Nakai, H., “Experimental study on ultimate strength and ductility of concrete filled steel columns under strong earthquake,” Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier Science, Vol. 51, 1999, pp. 297-319. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(99)00006-1
- Hanshin Expressway Public Corporation, “Guidlines for design and construction of steel bridge piers with concrete-filled steel columns(Draft),” Hanshin Expressway Public Corporation, Japan, 1986.
- Ge, H. and Usami, T., “Development of earthquakeresistance ultimate strength design method for concrete-filled steel structures,” Report, Department of Civil Eng., Nagoya University, Japan, 1994.
- 일본도로협회, “도로교시방서 동해석 V 내진설계편”, 1996.