- Volume 6 Issue 2
Steel piers and concrete-filled steel(CFS) piers, in spite of reasonable strength, high ductility, small section, and fast construction, have not been considered as one of alternatives to RC piers even in the highly populated urban area where aseismic safety, limited space and fast construction are indispensably required. This paper, the first of two companion papers for the seismic performance of steel and CFS piers, tests steel and CFS piers under quasi-static cyclic loading to estimate their ductility and strength. Additional details such as rebars and base ribs are added to increase the ductility of a concrete-filled steel pier with minimum additional cost. Also, simplified numerical analyses using nonlinear spring and shell elements are examined for the estimation of the ductility and strength of concrete-filled steel piers and a steel pier. The result shows that concrete-filled steel peirs have higher energy absorption, i.e., ductility and strength than those of steel pier and increasing bonding between in-filled concrete and lower diaphragm, and the improved details of stress concentrated region would be important for the ductility and strength of a pier. Numerical results show that simplified modeling with nonlinear springs and shells has potential to be effective modeling technique to estimate the seismic performance of a concrete-filled steel pier.
- El-Tawil, S. and Deierlein, G. G., “Strength and ductility of concrete encased composite columns,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 125, No. 9, 1999, pp. 1009-1019. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:9(1009)
- Liang, Q. Q. and Uy, B., “Theoretical study on the post-local buckling of steel plates in concrete-filled box columns,” Computers & Structures, Vol 75, pp. 479-490. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(99)00104-2
- Bruneau, M., “Performance of steel bridges during the 1995 Hyogoken-Nanbu(Kobe, Japan) earthquake-a North American perspective,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1998, pp. 1063-1078. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00203-4
- Kitada, T., “Ultimate strength and ductility of state-of-art concrete-filled steel bridge piers in Japan,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 20, No. 4-6, 1998, pp. 347-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00026-6
- Ge, H. and Usami, T., “Cyclic tests of concrete-filled steel box columns,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 122, No. 10, 1996, pp. 1169-1177. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:10(1169)
- Nakai, H., Kitada, T., Nakanishi, K., Sugiyama, I., and Kouno, Y., “Experimental study on ultimate strength and ductility of concrete-filled thin-walled steel box columns after receiving sesimic loading,” J. of Struct. Eng., JSCE, 40A, 1994, pp. 1401-1412.
- 한국도로공사 도로연구소, “고강도 콘크리트를 이용한 철근콘크리트 기둥과 합성기둥의 설계, 해석프로그램 개발 및 모형실험”, 보고서, 한국도로공사 도로연구소, 서울, 1998.
- Hanshin Expressway Public Corporation, “Guidlines for design and construction of steel bridge piers with concrete-filled steel columns(Draft),” Hanshin Expressway Public Corporation, Japan, 1986.
- Susantha, K. A. S., Ge, H., and Usami, T, “Uniaxial stress-strain relationship of concrete confined by various shaped steel tubes,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 23, 2001, pp. 1331-1347. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00020-7
- Ge, H. and Usami T., “Development of earthquakeresistance ultimate strength design method for concretefilled steel structures,” Report, Department of Civil Eng., Nagoya University, Japan, 1994.