- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Variations in Karyotypic Characteristics of Different Breed Groups of Water Buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis)
- Bondoc, O.L. (Animal Breeding Division, Institute of Animal Science, College of Agriculture) ;
- Flor, M.C.G.T. (Animal Breeding Division, Institute of Animal Science, College of Agriculture) ;
- Rebollos, S.D.N. (Animal Breeding Division, Institute of Animal Science, College of Agriculture) ;
- Albarace, A.G. (Animal Breeding Division, Institute of Animal Science, College of Agriculture)
- Received : 2001.08.17
- Accepted : 2001.11.12
- Published : 2002.03.01
Karyotype analysis was carried out on blood samples of 30 water buffaloes belonging to different breed groups (i.e. Philippine Carabao (PC), Indian Murrah (IM), Bulgarian Murrah (BM), "
Supported by : National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP)
- Azmi, T. J., Z. A. Jelan and M. Harisah. 1990. Chromosome makeup and production traits in crossbred buffaloes. Seminar on Buffalo Genotypes for Small Farms in Asia (Ed. M. K. Vidyadaran, T. J. Azmi and P. K. Basrur). Sponsored by Centre for Tropical Animal Production and Disease Studies, Universiti Pertanian Malaysia and International Development Centre (Canada). pp. 179-184.
- Cooper, D. W. 1991. Cytogenetic aspects of crossbreeding river and swamp buffalo. In: Buffalo and Goats in Asia. Genetic Diversity and Its Application. Proceedings of a workshop, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 10-14 February 1991. (Ed. N. M. Tulloh). ACIAR Proceedings No. 34. pp. 48-52.
- Bongso, T. A., Z. M. Nava, P. G. Duran, V. G. Momongan, F. Campos and S. K. Ranjhan. 1984. Segregation of mitotic chromosomes in river, swamp and crossbred buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis). Tropical Veterinarian. 2:177-182.
Majid, M. A., Z. M. Nava, B. A. Parker, V. G. Momoñgan and M. N. Islam Faridi. 1991. Chromosomal analysis of buffalo (Bubalus bubalis): swamp type (Philippine carabao) and river types (Murrah and Nili Ravi) and their crosses (
$F_1$and $F_2$). Philippine Agriculturist. 74:543-556.
- Bongso, T. A. and M. Hilmi. 1982. Chromosome banding homologies of a tandem fusion in river, swamp and crossbred buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis). Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 24:667-673. https://doi.org/10.1139/g82-070
- Fischer, H. and F. Ulbrich. 1968. Chromosome of the Murrah buffalo and its crossbreds with the Asiatic swamp buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). Z. Tierz. Zuchtungsbiol. 84:110-114.
- Songsri, S. and D. A. Ramirez. 1979. The cytology of swamp and river type of water buffaloes and their hybrids. Philippine Agriculturist. 62:262-275.
Na-Chaingmai, A. and V. Chavananikul. 1998. Performance and cytogenetic aspects of swamp
$\times$river crossbred buffaloes. Proc. 5th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production. University of New England, Armidale, NSW, Australia. 24:451-458.
- Parker, B. A. 1992. Genetic improvement. In: Carabao Production in the Philippines (Ed. S. K. Ranjhan and P. S. Faylon). PCARRD and FAO/UNDP. Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines. pp. 25-62.