- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Genetic Distance among South Indian Breeds of Zebu Cattle Using Random Amplified DNA Markers
- Ramesha, K.P. (SRS of NDRI) ;
- Saravanan, T. (SRS of NDRI) ;
- Rao, M.K. (SRS of NDRI) ;
- Appannavar, M.M. (SRS of NDRI) ;
- Obi Reddy, A. (SRS of NDRI)
- Received : 2001.05.10
- Accepted : 2001.10.08
- Published : 2002.03.01
Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA (RAPD) assay was conducted to identify polymorphic markers in Amrithmahal, Krishna Valley, Hallikar, Deoni, Khillari, Ongole and Malnad Gidda breeds of South Indian cattle using twenty six primers. Of the 93 RAPD markers obtained, 53 were present in all breeds, 22 were individual specific and 18 were polymorphic for different breeds. Dual purpose breeds viz., Krishna Valley and Ongole showed less genetic divergence between them as compared to their genetic divergence from draft breeds viz., Amrithmahal, Hallikar and Khillari. Malnad Gidda was found to be a distinctly different from others studied.
Supported by : Department. of Biotechnology, Government of India
- Miller, S. A., D. D. Dykes and H. F. Polesky. 1988. A simple salting out procedure for extracting DNA from human nucleated cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 16:1215. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/16.3.1215
- Nagaraja, C. S. 1998. Studies on breed specific molecular genetic markers in B. taurus and B. indicus cattle. Ph. D. thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore, India.
- Williams, J. G. K., A. R. Kubelik, K. J. Livak, J. A. Raflski and S. V. Tingey. 1990. DNA polymorphisms amplified by arbitrary primers are useful as genetic markers. Nucleic Acids Res. 18:6531-6535. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/18.22.6531
- Hwang, K. C., K. D. Song, T. H. Kim, D. K. Jeong, S. H. Sohn, H. S. Lillehoj and J. Y. Han. 2001. Genetic linkage mapping of RAPD markers segregating in Korean Ogol chicken-White Leghorn backcross population. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14 (3):302-306. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.302
- Bardin, M. G., C. Bandi, S. Comincini, G. Damiani and G. Rognoni. 1995. Use of RAPD markers to estimate genetic variation in bovine populations. Anim. Gene. 23 (suppl. 1):57.
- Gill, P., A. J. Jefferys and D. J. Werrett. 1985. Forensic application of DNA fingerprints. Nature. 318:577-579. https://doi.org/10.1038/318577a0
- Kemp, S. J. and A. J. Teale. 1994. Randomly primed PCR amplification of pooled DNA reveals polymorphism in a receptive DNA sequence, which differentiates Bos indicus and Bos taurus. Anim. Gene. 25:83-88.
- Dodgson, J. B., H. H. Dodds, A. M. Crawford and J. F. Medrano. 1996. Identification and genetic mapping of random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) markers in sheep genome. Mamm. Genome. 7:580-585. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003359900173
- Kantanen, J., J. Vilkki, K. Elo and A. Maki-Tanila. 1995. Random amplified Polymorphic DNA in cattle and sheep: application for detecting genetic variation. Anim. Gene. 26:315-320.
- Thiyagarajan. 2000. RAPD and microsatellite analysis in cattle. Ph. D. thesis, Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai, India.
- Jefferys, A. J. and D. B. Morton. 1987. DNA fingerprints of dogs and cats. Anim. Gene. 18:1-15.
- Farris, J. S. 1972. Estimating phylogenetic trees from distance matrices. The American Naturalist. 106:645-668. https://doi.org/10.1086/282802
- Hetzel, D. J. S. and R. D. Drinkwater. 1992. The use of DNA technologies for the conservation and improvement of animal genetic resources. FAO Expert Consultation on the Management of Global Animal Genetic Resources. Rome, April 1992.
- Kemp, S. J. and A. J. Teale. 1992. Random amplified DNA polymorphisms (RAPDs) and pooled DNA in bovine genetic studies. 23 (suppl. 1):62.
- Cushwa, W. T., K. G. Dodds, A. M. Crawferd and J. F. Medrano. 1996. Identification and genetic mapping of random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) markers to the sheep genome. Mamm. Genome. 7:580-585. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003359900173
- Gwakisa, P. S., S. J. Kemp and A. J. Teale. 1994. Characterization of zebu cattle breeds in Tanzania using random amplified polymorphic markers. Anim. Gene. 25:89-94. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1994.tb00408.x
- ) Using Band Sharing Frequency vol.27, pp.1, 2005, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2005.9706528
- Genetic Differences and DNA Polymorphisms between the Fleshy Prawn Fenneropenaeus chinensis and Chinese Ditch Prawn Palaemon gravieri vol.8, pp.3, 2005, https://doi.org/10.5657/fas.2005.8.3.151
- Genome Identity and Diversity Study in Gir and Kankrej (Bos indicus) Cattle Breeds using RAPD Fingerprints vol.6, pp.3, 2007, https://doi.org/10.3923/biotech.2007.322.327
- Genetic Polymorphisms of α-lactalbumin and β-lactoglobulin in South Anatolian and East Anatolian Red Cattle vol.4, pp.5, 2009, https://doi.org/10.3923/ajava.2009.252.257
- cattle breeds of Southern India vol.39, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-313X.2012.01126.x