- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of Different Seasons on the Performance of Grey Giant Rabbits under Sub-Temperate Himalayan Conditions
- Bhatt, R.S. (North Temperate Regional Station, Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Sharma, S.R. (North Temperate Regional Station, Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Singh, Umesh (North Temperate Regional Station, Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Kumar, Davendra (North Temperate Regional Station, Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Bhasin, V. (North Temperate Regional Station, Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute)
- Received : 2001.09.28
- Accepted : 2002.01.08
- Published : 2002.06.01
An experiment was conducted on 190 progeny (winter -74; summer -59; rainy -57) of 12 Grey Giant rabbits (10 female +2 males), to assess the effect of different seasons in a year, on their reproductive, growth and productive performances along with feed efficiency, under sub-temperate Himalayan conditions. The daily meteorological attributes recorded during winter (October to March), summer (April to June) and rainy (July to September) seasons, and analysed were minimum and maximum temperature, relative humidity and rainfall. Various biological parameters recorded were doe weights at mating and kindling, litter size at birth, litter weight at birth, kit mortality, litter size at weaning, litter weight at weaning, weekly body weight up to 98 d and weaner mortality. Individual weight gains, dressing percentages, meat weights, liver weights, raw-pelt weights, processed pelt weights and processed pelt areas at slaughter on d 84 and 98, respectively were also recorded. The feed and fodder compositions and their nutritive values during different seasons were also analysed. Average ambient temperature during winter, summer and rainy seasons were
- Ayyat, M. S., I. F. M. Marai and A. GH. El- Sayaid. 1995. Genetic and non-genetic factors affecting milk production and pre weaning litter traits of New Zealand does under Egyptian conditions. World Rabbit Science, 3:119-124.
- Cervera, C., E. Blas and J. Fernandez-Carmona. 1997. Growth of rabbits under different environmental temperature using high fat diets. World Rabbit Science, 5:71-75.
- Cheeke, P. R. 1987. Rabbit feeding and nutrition. Hartcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers Academic Press, Inc.
- Chiericato, G. M., C. Rizzi and V. Rostellato. 1993. Effect of genotype and environmental temperature on the performance of the young meat rabbits. World Rabbit science, 1:119-125.
- Harkness, J. E. 1988. Rabbit behaviour as related to environmental stress. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 11:227-236.
- Kulkarni, V. V., K. Gupta, R. Bhatt and N. K. Manuja. 1995. Growth, carcass traits and meat composition of broiler rabbits. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 65:599-601.
- McNitt, J. I. and S. D. Lukefahr. 1990. Effect of breed, parity, day of lactation and number of kits on milk production of rabbits. J. Anim. Sci. 68:1505-1512. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.6861505x
- Sandford, J. C. 1986. The Domestic Rabbits. (4th Ed.). William Collins Sons and Co. Ltd. 8, Grafton street, London.
- Taylor, T. W. and N. P. Johnston. 1984. The effect of feed restriction on pelt size and degree of prime in rex rabbits. J. Appl. Rabbit Res.7:62-67.
- Valderma de Deaz, G. and H. Varela-Alverez. 1975. Genetic study on the improvement of some productive characters in rabbits. Agro Ciencia, 21:115-124.
- Withorff, E. K., C. E. Heird, J. M. Rakes and Z. B. Johnson.1988. Growth and reproduction of nutrient restricted rabbits in a heat stressed environment. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 11:87-92.
- Gupta, S. C., N. Gupta, Riyazudin and G. Singh. 1992. Growth performance of meat rabbits in semi arid tropical conditions in India. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 15:766-774.
- Singh, B., H. P. S. Makkar and L. Krishna. 1988. Utilization by growing rabbits of a low crude protein diet with or without urea and groundnut cake supplementation. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 9:25-28.
- Cheeke, P. R., N. M. Patton and G. S. Templeton. 1982. Rabbit Production. The Interstate Printers and Publishers Inc. Danville Illinois.
- Sanchez, W. K., P. R. Cheeke and N. M. Patton. 1985. Effect of dietary crude protein level on the reproductive performance and growth performance of New Zealand White rabbits. J. Anim. Sci. 60:1029-1039. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1985.6041029x
- Afifi, E. A. and M. E. Emara. 1990. Breed group and environmental factors influencing post weaning daily gain in weight of pure-bred and cross bred rabbits. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 13:114-118.
- Chiericato, G. M., L. Bailoni and C. Rizzi. 1992. The effect of environmental temperature on the performance of growing rabbits. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 15:723-731.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1984. Forage Fibre Analysis. Agricultural Handbook No. 379, ARS, USDA, Washington, DC.
- Matheron, G. and J. P. Martial. 1981. Growth and feed consumption of rabbit does from weaning to 4 months of age in different ambient temperature and humidities. Zootechniques et Physiologiques. E.N.S.A. Rennes.
- Finzi, A., S. Nyvold and M. El. Agroudi. 1992b. Efficiency of three different housing systems in reducing heat stress in rabbits. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 15:745-750.
- Church, D. C. 1986. Livestock feeds and feeding. (2nd Ed.). Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, USA, 07632.
- Remois, G., P. Lafargue-Hauret, A. Bourdillon and H. Rouillere. 1996. Effect of weaning weight on growth performance of rabbits. 6th World Rabbit Congress, Toulouse, 237-240.
- Maertens, L. and G. De Groote. 1990. Comparison of feed intake and milk yield of does under normal and high ambient temperature. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 13:3-4.
- NRC. 1977. Nutrient Requirement of Rabbits. (2nd Ed.). National Acad. Sci. Washington, DC.
- Papp, Z. and P. Rafai. 1988. Impact of heat stress on pregnant rabbits and on the development and viability of their fetuses. 4th World Rabbit Congress, Budapest, 470-478.
- Vicente, J. S. and F. Garcia-Ximenez. 1992. Growth limitations of suckling rabbits. Proposal of a method to evaluate the numerical performance of rabbit does until weaning. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 15:848-855.
- Ferraz, J. B. S., R. K. Johnson and J. P. Eler. 1991. Breed and environmental effects on reproductive traits of Californian and New Zealand White rabbits. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 14:172-179.
- Lebas, F. 1983. Small scale rabbit rearing in developing countries. World Rev. 46:10-17.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis (15th Ed.) Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington. DC.
- Finzi, A., S. Nyvold and M. El. Agroudi. 1992a. Evaluation of heat stress in rabbits under field conditions. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 15:739-744.
- Torres, C., M. Pla and I. Garcia. 1986. Relation de las predidas de gazapos deuante el engorde, XI Symposium de cunicultura, 125-129. Terace.
- Lebas, F., P. Coudert, R. Rouvier and H. C. Rochambeau de. 1986. The Rabbit Husbandry, health and production. F.A.O. of the United Nations, Via delle Terme di Caracalla 00100 Rome Italy.
- Chiericato, G. M., C. Rizzi and V. Rostellato. 1996. Effect of genotype and environmental conditions on the productive and slaughtering performance of growing meat rabbits. 6th World Rabbit Congress, Toulouse, III:147-151.
- Afifi, E. A. 1971. A study of some economical and productive characters in some strains of rabbits and their crosses. PhD thesis. Faculty of Agriculture, Ain-Shams Univ., Egypt.
- Bhasin, V. and D. Singh. 1995. Pre-weaning mortality in rabbits. Int. J. Anim. Sci. 10:77-79.
- Snedecor, G. W and W. G. Cochran. 1967. Statistical Methods. (6thEd.). Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. Calcutta.