- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Chewing Activities of Selected Roughages and Concentrates by Dairy Steers
- Moon, Y.H. (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Jinju National University) ;
- Lee, S.C. (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Jinju National University) ;
- Lee, S.S. (Faculty of Animal Science, Gyeongsang National University)
- 투고 : 2001.08.27
- 심사 : 2002.01.24
- 발행 : 2002.07.01
To evaluate the chewing activity of ruminant feeds, four Holstein steers (average body weight
- Balch, C. C. 1958. Observations on the act of eating in cattle. Br. J. Nutr. 12:330. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19580044
- Balch, C. C. 1971. Proposal to use time spent chewing as an index of the extent to which diets for ruminants possess the physical property of fibrousness characteristics of roughages. Br. J. Nutr. 26:383. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19710045
- Balch, C. C., D. A. Balch, S. Bartlett, M. P. Batrum, V. W. Johnson, S. J. Rowland and J. Turner. 1955. Studies on the secretion of milk of low fat content by cows on diets low in hay and high in concentrate. VI. The effects on the physical and biochemical processes of the reticulo-rumen. J. Dairy Res. 22:270. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029900007810
- Jaster, E. H. and M. R. Murphy. 1983. Effects of varying particle size of forage on digestion and chewing behavior of dairy heifers. J. Dairy Sci. 66:802.
- Pond, K. R., W. C. Ellis and D. E. Akin. 1984. Ingestive mastication and fragmentation of forages. J. Anim. Sci. 58:1567.
- Shaver, R. D., A. J. Nytes, L. D. Satter and N. A. Jorgensen. 1986. Influence of amount of feed intake and forage physical form on digestion and passage of prebloom alfalfa hay in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 69:1545.
- Bartley, E. E. 1976. Bovine saliva: production and function. In:Buffers in Ruminant Physiology and Metabolism (Ed. M. S. Weinberg and A. L. Sheffnor). Church and Dwight, New York.
- Luginbuhl, J. M., K. R. Pond, J. C. Burns and J. C. Russ. 1989. Effects of ingestive mastication on particle dimensions and weight distribution coastral bermudagrass hay fed to steers at four levels. J. Anim. Sci. 67:538.
- Deswysen, A. G., W. C. Ellis and K. R. Pond. 1987. Interrelationships among voluntary intake, eating and ruminating behavior and ruminal motility of heifers fed corn silage. J. Anim. Sci. 64:835.
- Woodford, S. T. and M. R. Murphy. 1988. Effect of forage physical form on chewing activity, dry matter intake, and rumen function of dairy cows in early lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 71:674.
- Cheng, K. J., J. P. Fay, R. E. Howarth and J. W. Costerton. 1980. Sequence of events in the digestion of fresh legume leaves by rumen bacteria. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 40:613.
- Luginbuhl, J. M., K. R. Pond, J. C. Russ and J. C. Burns. 1987. A simple electronic device and computer interface system for monitoring chewing behavior of stall-fed ruminants. J. Dairy Sci. 70:1307.
- Sudweeks, E. M., M. E. McCullough, L. R. Sisk and S. E. Law. 1975. Effects of concentrate type and level and forage type on chewing time of steers. J. Anim. Sci. 41:219.
- Sharma, K., A. L. Saini, Nawab Singh and J. L. Ogra. 1998. Feeding Behaviour and Forage Nutrient Utilization by Goats on a Semi-Arid Reconstituted Silvipasture. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 11(4):344.
- Britton, R. A. and R. A. Stock. 1987. Acidosis, rate of starch digestion and intake. In: Feed Intake by Beef Cattle (Ed. F. N. Owens, D. Gill and K. Lusby). Proc. Symp., November 20-22, 1986, Oklahoma State Univ., Stillwater.
- Macgregor, C. A. 1989. Directory of feed & feed ingredients. Hoard & Sons Co. Wisconsin.
- Ulyatt, M. J., D. W. Dellow, A. John, C. S. W. Reid and G. C. Waghorn. 1986. Contribution of chewing during eating and rumination to the clearance of digesta from the ruminoreticulum. p. 498 In: Control of Digestion and Metabolism in Ruminants (Ed. L. P. Milligan, W. L. Grovum and A. Dobson). Reston Publ. Co., Reston, VA.
- Teller, E., M. Vanbelle, P. Kamatali and J. Wavreille. 1989. Intake of direct cut or wilted grass silage as related to chewing behavior, ruminal characteristics and site and extent of digestion by heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 67:2802.
- Voskuil, G. C. J. and J. H. M. Metz. 1973. The effect of chopped hay on feed intake, rate of eating and rumination of dairy cows. Neth. J. Agric. Sci. 21:256.
- SAS. 1988. User's Guide : Statistical Analysis System. Inst. Inc. Cary, NC.
- Brouk, M. and R. Belyea. 1993. Chewing activity and digestive responses of cows fed alfalfa forages. J. Dairy Sci. 76:175.
- Beauchemin, K. A. 1991. Effects of dietary neutral detergent fiber concentration and alfalfa hay quality on chewing, rumen function, and milk production of dairy Steers. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3140.