- Volume 15 Issue 7
Two in vivo experiments were conducted to evaluate the effect of novel urease inhibitor hydroquinone (HQ) on ammonia release rate from urea hydrolysis, nitrogen balance, nutrient digestibility and efficiency of microbial protein synthesis. In Exp. 1, twelve crossbred cannulated lambs were randomly assigned within initial body weight block to one of four HQ treatments, which included 0 (control), 30, 60 or 80 mg HQ/kg DM intake. Ammonia concentration and pH of ruminal fluid were immediately measured at 0, 2, 4, 6 and 8 h after feeding. Increasing the dose of HQ tended (p<0.15) to linearly decrease NH3 formation. The ammonia peak concentration (2 h post-feeding) in animals receiving HQ was approximately one-half of that in animals not receiving HQ (p<0.01), and a relatively sustained ammonia release could be obtained at the dose of 30 or 60 mg HQ/kg DM. In Exp. 2, sixteen intact crossbred lambs (weight
- Fujihara, T., E. R. Orskov, P. J. Reeds and D. J. Kyle. 1987. The effect of protein infusion on urinary excretion of purine derivatives in ruminants nourished by intragastric nutrition. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb). 107:12.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. VanSoest. 1970. Forage fiber analysis. In: Agriculture Handbook No. 379. Agriculture Research Services. Washington, DC. US.
- Khandaker, Z. H. and A. M. M. Tareque. 1997. Effect of rumen degradable protein in straw based ration on purine derivatives excretion and microbial nitrogen supply in cattle. Asian-Aus. J. Anim.Sci. 10: 364-370.
- Verbic, J., X. B. Chen, N. A. Macleod and E. R. Orskov. 1990. Excretion of purine derivatives by ruminants: effect of microbial nucleic acid infusion on purine derivative excretion by steers. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 114:243-248. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600072610
- Ludden, P. A., D. L. Harmon, B. T. Larson and D. E. Axe. 2000a. Influence of the novel urease inhibitor N-(n-butyl) thiophosphoric triamide on ruminant nitrogen metabolism:ΙIn vitro urea kinetics and substrate digestion. J. Anim. Sci. 78:181-187.
- Zhang, Y. G., A. S. Shan and J. Bao. 2001. Effect of hydroquinone on ruminal urease in the sheep and its inhibition kinetics in vitro. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1216-1220.
- Moore, M. J., W. R. Woods and T. J. Kopfenstein. 1968. Nitrogen metabolism as influenced by acetohydroxamic acid. J. Anim. Sci. 27:1172-1173.
- Satter, L. D. and L. L. Slyter. 1974. Effect of feeding urea supplemented and urea-treated wheat straw on rumen fermentation pattern and fiber digestibility in crossbred cattle. Indian J. Anim. Nutr. 7(2):107-112.
- Voigt, J., K. Krawielitzki and B. Piatkowski. 1980c. Studies on the effect of phosphoric phenly ester diamide as inhibitor of the rumen urease of dairy cows: 3. Digestibility of the nutrients and bacterial protein synthesis. Arch. Tierernaehr. 30:835-840. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450398009425097
- Marsh, W. H., B. Fingerhut and H. Miller. 1965. Automated and manual direct methods for determination of blood urea. Clinical Chem. 11:624-627.
- Young, E. G. and C. F. Conway. 1942. On the estimation of allantoin by Rimini-Schryner reaction. J. Biol. Chem. 142:839-853.
- Voigt, J., K. Krawielitzki and B. Piatkowski. 1980b. Studies on the effect of phosphoric phenly ester diamide as inhibitor of the rumen urease of dairy cows:2. The metabolism of 15Nurea. Arch.Tierernaehr. 30:825-834. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450398009425096
- Jones, G. A. and J. D. Milligan. 1975. Influence on some rumen and blood parameter of feeding acetohydroxamic acid in a urea-containing ration for lambs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 55:39-47.
- Chen, X. B., F. D. Deb, Hovell, E. R. Orskov and D. S. Brown 1990. Excretion of purine derivatives by ruminants: effect of exogenous nucleic acid supply on purine derivative excretion by sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 63:131-142.
- Whitelaw, F. G., J. S. Milne and S. A. Wright. 1991. Urease inhibition in the sheep rumen and its effect on urea and nitrogen metabolism. Br. J. Nutr. 66:209-225. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19910026
- SAS. 1990. SAS/STAT User' Guide. Volume 2, Version 6, Fourth Edition. SAS Institute Inc., SAS Campus Drive, Cary, NC27513.
- Voigt, J., K. Krawielitzki and B. Piatkowski. 1980a. Studies on the effect of phosphoric phenly ester diamide as inhibitor of the rumen urease of dairy cows: 1. Influence of urea hydrolysis ammonia release and fermentation in the rumen. Arch. Tierernaehr. 30:811-823. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450398009425094
- Ludden, P. A., D. L. Harmon, B. T. Larson and D. E. Axe. 2000b. Influence of the novel urease inhibitor N-(n-butyl) thiophosphoric triamide on ruminant nitrogen metabolism:Ⅱ. Ruminal nitrogen metabolism, diet digestibility and nitrogen balance in lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 78:188-197.
- Topps, J. H. and R. C. Elliott. 1965. Relationship between concentrations of ruminal nucleic acids and excretion of purine derivatives by sheep. Nature 205:498-499. https://doi.org/10.1038/205498b0
- Streeter, C. L., R. R. Oltjen, L. L. Slyter and W. N. Fishbein. 1969. Urea utilization in wethers receiving the urease inhibitor acetohydroxamic acid. J. Anim. Sci. 29:88-93.
- AOAC. 1975. Official Methods of Analysis (12th Ed.). Association of Official Analysis Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Influence of hydrolysis rate of urea on ruminal bacterial diversity level and cellulolytic bacteria abundance in vitro vol.6, pp.2167-8359, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.5475