- Volume 15 Issue 6
This study was conducted to determine effects of whole (intact), coarsely-ground (4 mm), finely-ground (1 mm), steam-flaked and steam-flaked-ground (1 mm) corns on in vitro and in situ DM digestibilities and also in vitro fermentation characteristics. After 48 h incubation, in vitro dry matter digestibilities of whole, steam-flaked, coarsely-ground, steam-flaked-ground, and finely-ground corns were 6.79, 61.68, 76.48, 85.72 and 90.31%, respectively. Steam-flaked-ground corn showed the highest digestibility until 24 h incubation (p<0.01). After 48 h incubation, pH of whole corn decreased with a small range. However the values of pH of other media significantly decreased (p<0.01). The gas productions of finely-ground and steam-flaked-ground corns were higher than those of the other corns (p<0.01). After 24 h incubation,
In vitro;In situ;Processing Corn;DM Digestibility
- Aldrich, J. M., L. D. Muller, G. A. Varga and L. C. Griel, Jr. 1993. Nonstructural carbohydrate and protein effects on rumen fermentation, nutrient flow, and performance of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 76:1091-1105. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77438-X
- Frederick, H. M., B. Theuer and W. H. Hale. 1973. Effect of moisture, pressure, and temperature on enzymatic starch degradation of barley and sorghum grain. J. Dairy Sci. 56:596-601.
- Fulton, W. R., T. J. Klopfenstein and R. A. Britton. 1979b. Adaptation to high concentrate diets by beef cattle. II. Effect of ruminal pH alteration on rumen fermentation and voluntary intake of wheat diets. J. Anim. Sci. 49:785-789. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1979.493785x
- Ha, J. K., S. S. Lee, B. O. Kwak, T. H. Moon and S. H. Kang. 1994. Effects of corn processing methods on the nutrients utilization I. Disappearances and degradabilities of dry matter and crude protein of feed stuffs in the rumen of Holstein cows. Korean J. Dairy Sci. 16(1):1-7.
- Huntington, G. B. 1997. Starch utilization by ruminants: From basics to the bunk. J. Anim. Sci. 75:852-867. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.753852x
- Kim, N. S., J. K. Ha, Y. G. Ko, H. D. Kim, W. Y. Kim and B. O. Kwak. 1996. Effects of corn processing methods on the nutrient utilization II. Effects of processed corn on ruminal degradability of starch and lower gut disappearance rates of dry matter and crude protein in Holstein dairy cows. Kor. J. Anim. Nutr. Feed. 20(4):360-370.
- Loerch, S. C. 1992. Maximizing the use of corn grain in growing cattle diets. Ohio Beef Cattle Research and Industry Rep., Ainim. Sci. Dept. Ser. 92-1:45-52.
- Lykos, T. and G. A. Varga. 1995. Effects of processing method on degradation characteristics of protein and carbohydrate sources in situ. J. Dairy Sci. 78:1789-1801.
- McAllister, T. A. and K. J. Cheng. 1996. Microbial strategies in the ruminal digestion of cereal grains. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 62:29-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(96)01003-6
- Owens, F. N., D. S. Secrist, W. J. Hill and D. R. Gill. 1997. The effect of grain source and grain processing on performance of feedlot cattle: A review. J. Anim. Sci. 75:868-879. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.753868x
- Statistical Analysis System Institute, Inc. 1985. SAS user's guide: Statistics. Version 5 Edition. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, N.C.
- Walker, R. D., G. T. Lane, J. K. Riggs, L. W. Roony and R. E. Lichtenwalner. 1973. Particle size and digestion of sorghum grain, J. Anim. Sci. 44:131.
- Wilson, G. F., N. N. Adeeb and R. C. Campling. 1973. The apparent digestibility of maize grain when given in various physical forms to adult sheep and cattle. J. Agri. Sci. 80:259-267. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600057737
- Murphy, T. A., F. L. Fluharty and S. C. Loerch. 1994. The influence of intake level and corn processing on digestibility and ruminal metabolism in steers fed all-concentrate diets. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1608-1615. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.7261608x
- Stock, R., T. Klopfenstein and Shain, D. 1995. Feed intake variation. Okla. Agric. Exp. Sta. Misc. Publ. 942:56-59.
- Beauchemin, K. A., T. A. McAllister, Y. Dong, B. I. Farr and K. J. Cheng. 1994. Effects of mastication on digestion of whole cereal grains by cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 72:236-246. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.721236x
- Fulton, W. R., T. J. Klopfenstein and R. A. Britton. 1979a. Adaptation to high concentrate diets by beef cattle. I. Adaptation to corn and wheat diets. J. Anim. Sci. 49:775-784. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1979.493775x
- Erwin, E. S., G. J. Marco and E. M. Emery. 1961. Volatile fatty acid analysis of blood and rumen fluid by gas chromatography. J. Dairy Sci. 44:1768-1770. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(61)89956-6
- Theurer, C. B. 1986. Grain processing effects on starch utilization by ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 63:1649-1662. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.6351649x
- Moe, P. W., H. F. Tyrell and N. W. Hooven. 1973. Physical form and energy value of corn grain. J. Dairy Sci. 56:1298-1304. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(73)85350-0
- Stock, R. A., D. R. Brink, R. A. Britton, F. K. Goedeken, M. H. Sindt, K. K. Kreikemeier, M. L. Bauer and K. K. Smith. 1987. Feeding combinations of high moisture corn and dry-rolled sorghum to finishing steers. J. Anim. Sci. 65:290-302. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.651290x
- Vance, R. D., R. L. Preston, E. W. Klosterman and V. R. Cahil. 1972. Utilization of whole shelled and crimped corn grain with varing proportions of corn silage by growing-finishing steers. J. Anim. Sci. 35:598-605. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1972.353598x
- Reinhardt, C. D., R. T. Brandt Jr, T. P. Eck and E. C. Titgemeyer. 1998. Performance, digestion, and mastication efficiency of Hostein steers fed whole or processed corn in limit- or full-fed growing-finishing systems. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1778-1788. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7671778x
- Rust, S. R., F. N. Owens and D. R. Gill. 1980. Corn processing and alfalfa level effect on digestibility. Anim. Sci. Res. Rep. Oklahoma Agric. Exp. Stn. MP. 107:143.
- Chaney, A. L. and E. P. Marbach. 1962. Modification reagents for determination of urea and ammonia. Clin. Chem. 8:130.
- Nordin, M. and R. C. Campling. 1976. Digestibility studies with cows given whole and rolled cereal grains. Anim. Prod. 23:305-313. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100031421
- Rooney, L. W. and R. L. Pflugfelder. 1986. Factors affecting starch digestibility with special emphasis on sorghum and corn. J. Anim. Sci. 63:1607-1623. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.6351607x
- Galyean, M. L., D. G. Wagner and F. N. Owens. 1979. Corn particle size and extent of digestion by steers. J. Anim. Sci. 49:204-210. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1979.491204x
- Galyean, M. L., D. G. Wagner and F. N. Owens. 1981. Dry matter and starch disappearance of corn and sorghum as influenced by particle size and processing. J. Dairy Sci. 64:1804-1812. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(81)82769-5
- Menke, K. H. and H. Steingass. 1988. Estimation of the energetic feed value obtained from chemical analysis and in vitro gas production using rumen fluid. Anim. Res. Develop. 28:7-55.
- Owens, F. N., R. A. Zinn and Y. K. Kim. 1986. Limits to starch digestion in the ruminant small intestine. J. Anim. Sci. 63:1634-1648. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.6351634x
- Bowman, J. G. P. and J. L. Firkins. 1993. Effects of forage species and particle size on bacterial cellulolytic activity and colonization in situ. J. Anim. Sci. 71:1623-1633. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7161623x
- Herrera-Saldana, R., R. Gomez-Alarcon, M. Torabi and J. T. Huber. 1990. Influence of synchronizing protein and starch degradation in the rumen on nutrient utilization and microbial protein synthesis. J. Dairy Sci. 73:142-148. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(90)78657-2
- Waldhwa, M, P. Dharam, P. Kataria and M. P. S. Bakshi. 1998. Effect of particle size of con grains on the release of nutrient and in sacco degradability. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 72:11-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00185-5
- McAllister, T. A., H. D. Bae, G. A. Jones and K. J. Cheng. 1994. Microbial attachment and feed digestion in the rumen. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3004-3018.
- Nocek, J. E. and S. Tamminga. 1991. Site and digestion of starch in the gastrointestinal tract of dairy cows and its effect on milk yield and composition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3598-3629. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78552-4
- Ekinci, C. and G. A. Broderick. 1997. Effect of processing high moisture ear corn on ruminal fermentation and milk yield. J. Dairy Sci. 80:3298-3307. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76305-7
- Degradabilidade no rúmen bovino de grãos de milho processados de diferentes formas vol.39, pp.3, 2004, https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-204X2004000300010
- Degradabilidade ruminal da matéria seca de grãos de milho e de sorgo com alto ou baixo conteúdo de tanino processados vol.13, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1519-99402012000200019
- Effect of corn grain particle size on ruminal fermentation and blood metabolites of Holstein steers fed total mixed ration vol.31, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0069
- Nutrient composition and in vitro fermentability of corn grain and stover harvested at different periods in Goesan, a mountainous area vol.61, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5187/jast.2019.61.1.18