- Volume 35 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
RU486 Suppresses Progesterone-induced Acrosome Reaction in Boar Spermatozoa
- Jang, Sun-Phil (Department of Biological Science and the Institute for Basic Science, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- YiLee, S.H. (Department of Biological Science and the Institute for Basic Science, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Published : 2002.11.30
The effects of progesterone on the acrosome reaction, as well as the effects of RU486 on the progesterone-induced acrosome reaction in capacitated boar spermatozoa, were investigated. Progesterone, a major steroid that is secreted by the cumulus cells of oocyte, clearly induced the acrosome reaction in a dose-dependent manner in capacitated boar spermatozoa, even though it failed to show similar effects in non-capacitated spermatozoa. RU486, a potent antiprogestin, significantly reduced the effects of progesterone on the progesterone-induced acrosome reaction; however, when treated alone, it showed no inhibitory effects on the acrosome reaction. The inhibitory effects of RU486 were also shown to be dose-dependent. These results imply that in addition to the well-known inducer of the acrosome reaction, zona pellucida, progesterone can also induce the acrosome reaction through its specific receptors on spermatozoa after the spermatozoa undergo capacitation.
- Baldi, E., Casano, R., Falsetti, C., Krausz, C., Maggi, M. and Forti, G. (1991) Intracellular calcium accumulation and responsiveness to progesterone in capacitating human spermatozoa. J. Androl. 12, 323-330.
- Baldi, E., Luconi, M., Bonaccorsi, L. and Forti, G. (2002) Signal transduction pathways in human spermatozoa. J. Reprod. Immunol. 53, 121-131. Review. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-0378(01)00089-4
- Baulieu, E. E. (1989) Contragestion and other clinical applications of RU486, an antiprogesterone at the receptor. Science 245, 1351-1357. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.2781282
- Cross, N. L., Morales, P., Overstreet, J. M. and Hanson, F. W. (1988) Induction of acrosome reaction by the human zona pellucida. BioI. Reprod. 38, 235-244 https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod38.1.235
- Fazeli, A., Duncan, A. E., Watson, P. F. and Holt, W. V. (1999) Sperm-oviduct interaction: Induction of capacitation and preferential binding of uncapacitated spermatozoa to oviductal epithelial cells in porcine species. BioI. Reprod. 60, 879-886. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod60.4.879
- Fraser, L. R. (1995) Cellular biology of capacitation and acrosome reaction. Hum. Reprod. Suppl. 10, 22-30.
- Fraser, L. R. and Herrod, J. E. (1990) Expression of capacitation-dependent changes in chlorotetracycline fluorescence pattern in mouse spermatozoa requires a suitable glycosylable substrate. J. Reprod. Fertil. 88, 611-621. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0880611
- Meizel, S., Pillai, M. C., Diaz-Perez, E. and Thomas, P. (1990) Initiation of the human acrosome reaction by components of human follicular fluid and cumulus secretions including steroids. Serono Symposia. USA. 205-222.
- Meizel, S. and Turner, K. O. (1991) Progesterone acts at the plasma membrane of human sperm. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 11, R1-R5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0303-7207(78)90027-8
- Melendrez, C. S., Meizel, S. and Berger, T. (1994) Comparison of the ability of progesterone and heat solubilized porcine zona pellucida to initiate the porcine sperm acrosome reaction in vitro. Mol. Repmd. Dev. 39, 433-438. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrd.1080390412
- Meyers, S. A., Overstreet, J. W., Liu, I. K. M. and Drobnis, E. Z. (1995) Capacitation in vitro of stallion spermatozoa: comparison of progesterone-induced acrosome reactions in fertile and subfertile males. J. Androl. 16, 47-54.
- Osman, R. A., Andria, M. L., lones, A. D. and Meizel, S. (1989) Steroid induced exocytosis: the human sperm acrosome reaction. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 160, 828-833. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-291X(89)92508-4
- Revelli. A., Massobori, M. and Tesarik, J. (1998) Nongenomic actions of steroid hormones in reproductive tissues. Endocr. Rev. 19. 3-17. https://doi.org/10.1210/er.19.1.3
- Sabuer, K., Edwards, D. P. and Meizel, S. (1996) Human sperm plasma membrane progesterone receptor(s) and the acrosome reaction. Biol. Reprod. 54, 993-1001. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod54.5.993
- Somanuth, P. R ., Suraj, K. and Gandhi, K. K. (2000) Caprine sperm acrosome reaction: promotion by progesterone and homologous zona pellucida. Small Rumin. Res. 31, 279-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00148-0
- Suarez, S. S. and Dai, X. (1995) Intracellular calcium reaches different levels of elevation in hyperactivated and acrosome- reacted hamster sperm. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 42, 325-333. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrd.1080420310
- Tesarik, J., Carreras, A., and Mendoza, C. (1993) Differential sensitivity of progesterone and zona pellucida-induced acrosome reactions to pertussis toxin. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 34, 183-189. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrd.1080340210
- Tulsiani, D.R., Abou-Haila, A., Loeser, C. R. and Pereira, B. M. (1998) The biological and functional significance of the sperm acrosome and acrosomal enzymes in mammalian fertilization. Exp. Cell Res. 240, 151-164. https://doi.org/10.1006/excr.1998.3943
- Yamagata, K., Honda, A., Kashiwabara, S. I. and Baba, T. (1999) Difference of acrosomal serine protease system between mouse and other rodent sperm. Dev. Genet. 25, 115-122. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6408(1999)25:2<115::AID-DVG5>3.0.CO;2-1
- Yanagimachi, R. (1994) Mammalian fertilization; in The Physiology Of Reproduction. Knobil. E and Neil, J. (eds), pp 135-186, Raven Press. New York.
- Yang, J., Serres, C., Phlibert, D., Robel, P. and Baulieu, E. E. (1994) Progesterone and RU486: Opposing effects on human sperm. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91. 529-533. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.91.2.529
- Yi, L. S. (1999) Amino acid composition analysis of the 32 kDa sperminogen. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 33, 510-513.
- Yu, H. and Vi, L. S. (2001) Purification and partial peptide sequence analysis of the boar 32 kDa sperminogen. Mol. Cells 31, 107-111.
- Non-genomic actions of progesterone and estrogens in regulating reproductive events in domestic animals vol.176, pp.3, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tvjl.2007.05.014
- Effect of exposure to ulipristal acetate on sperm function vol.17, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3109/13625187.2012.725877
- Peritoneal fluid modifies the response of human spermatozoa to follicular fluid vol.24, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rbmo.2011.12.010
- Antihyaluronidase Action of Ellagic Acid Effectively Prevents Polyspermy As a Result of Suppression of the Acrosome Reaction Induced by Sperm-Zona Interaction During In Vitro Fertilization of Porcine Oocytes vol.53, pp.4, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1262/jrd.18173