- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Esterified-Glucomannan in Broiler Chicken Diets-Contaminated with Aflatoxin, Ochratoxin and T-2 Toxin: Evaluation of its Binding Ability (in vitro) and Efficacy as Immunomodulator
- Raju, M.V.L.N. (Department of Poultry Science, University of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Devegowda, G. (Department of Poultry Science, University of Agricultural Sciences)
- Received : 2001.06.20
- Accepted : 2002.02.19
- Published : 2002.07.01
In vitro binding efficacy of esterified glucomannan (E-GM) (0.1%) on aflatoxin B1 (AF) (300 ppb), ochratoxin A (OA) (2 ppm) and T-2 toxin (T-2) (3 ppm), when present alone or in combination, was evaluated in toxin-contaminated feed at pH 4.5 and 6.5. Esterified glucomannan showed significantly (p<0.01) higher binding with AF (81.6%), whereas those recorded with T-2 (27.8%) and OA (25.6%) were moderate. Binding of each toxin decreased as the number of toxins in feed increased. pH of medium showed no effect on mycotoxin binding ability of E-GM. A
Supported by : M/S Alltech Inc., USA and Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi
- BIS. 1992. Indian standard specification for poultry feeds :IS:1374-1979. Bureau of Indian Standards, Manak Bhavan, New Delhi.
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biometrics 11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Dwivedi, P. and R. B. Burns. 1984. Pathology of ochratoxicosis A in young broiler chicks. Res. Vet. Sci. 36:92-103.
- Lyons, T. P. 1994. 1994 and beyond. In: Biotechnology in the Feed Industry (Ed. T. P. Lyons and K. A. Jaques). Proceedings of the Alltech's 10th Annual Symposium, Kentucky, pp. 1-48.
- Pasteiner, S. 1997. Coping with mycotoxin contaminated feed stuffs. Feed International 18(5):12-16.
- Devegowda, G., B. I. R. Aravind, K. Rajendra, M. G. Morton, A. Baburathna and C. Sudharshan. 1994. A Biological approach to counteract aflatoxicosis in broiler chickens and duckings by the use of Saccharomyces cerevisiae cultures added to feed. In: Biotechnology in the Feed Industry (Ed. T. P. Lyons and K. A. Jaques). Proceedings of the Alltech's 10th Annual Symposium, Kentucky, pp. 235-245.
- Hoerr, F. J., W. W. Carlton and B. Yagen. 1981. Mycotoxicosis caused by a single dose of T-2 toxin or diacetoxyscirpenol in broiler chickens. Vet. Path. 18:652-664.
- Rukmini, C. and R. V. Bhat. 1978. Occurrence of T-2 toxin in Fusarium infested sorghum from India. J. Agric. Food Chem. 26:647-649. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60217a013
- Stanley, V. G., R. Ojo, S. Woldensenbet and D. H. Hutchinson. 1993. The use of Saccharomyces cerevisiae to suppress the effects of aflatoxicosis in broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 72:1867-1872.
- Trenk, H. L., M. E. Butz and F. S. Chu. 1971. Production of ochratoxin in different cereal products by Aspergillus ochraceus. Appl. Microbiol. 21:1032-1035.
- Romer, T. R., T. M. Boling and J. L. Mac Donald. 1978. Gas-liquid chromatographic determination of T-2 toxin and diacetoxyscirpenol in corn and mixed feeds. J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 6:801-807.
- Cotter, P. F. and J. Weinner. 1997. Bio-MOS modulates the phytohaemagglutinin wattle reaction in commercial pullets. In Proceedings of the 18th Annual Meeting of Southern Poultry Science Society, Atlanta, GA, S36(Abstr.).
- Dvorska, J. E. and P. F. Surai. 2001. Effects of T-2 toxin, zeolite and Mycosorb on antioxidant systems of growing quail. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1752-1757.
- Savage, T. F., P. F. Cotter and E. I. Zakrzewska. 1996. The effect of feeding mannanoligosaccharide on immunoglobulins, plasma IgG and bile IgA of Worldstad MW male turkeys. Poult. Sci. 75(Suppl. 1):143.
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis. 16th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Shotwell, O. L., C. W. Hesseltine, R. D. Stubblefield and W. E. Sorenson. 1966. Production of aflatoxin on rice. Appl.Microbiol. 14:425-428.
- Edrington, T. S., L. F. Kubena, R. B. Harvey and G. E. Rottinghaus. 1997. Influence of superactivated charcoal on the toxic effects of aflatoxin or T-2 toxin in growing broilers. Poult. Sci. 76:1205-1211.
- Huff, W. E., L. F. Kubena, R. B. Harvey and T. D. Philips. 1992. Efficacy of hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate to reduce the individual and combined toxicity of aflatoxin and ochratoxin A. Poult. Sci. 71:64-69.
- Verma, J., T. S. Johri, A. K. Shrivastav and S. Majumdar. 1995. Studies on the effect of dietary aflatoxin, ochratoxin and their combinations in broilers-Radio isotopic and immunological studies. In: Proceedings of the 17th Annual Symposium of Indian Poultry Sci. Assn., Bangalore, P 04(Abstr.).
- Burmeister, H. R. 1971. T-2 Toxin production by Fusarium tricinctum on solid substrate. Appl. Microbiol. 21:739-742.
- Huff, W. E. and J. A. Doerr. 1981. Synergism between aflatoxin and ochratoxin in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 60:550-555.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1994. SAS User' guide : Statistics, version 6.12. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Raju, M. V. L. N. and G. Devegowda. 2000. Influence of esterified-glucomannan on performance and organ morphology, serum biochemistry and haematology in broilers exposed to individual and combined mycotoxicosis (aflatoxin, ochratoxin and T-2 toxin). Br. Poult. Sci. 41:640-650. https://doi.org/10.1080/713654986
- Evaluation of glucomannan for its adsorbing ability of Aflatoxin B1 and T-2 Toxin in the Gastrointestinal Tract of Broiler Chickens vol.18, pp.S1, 2002, https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02946055
- toxins contaminated diets vol.61, pp.4, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390701431854
- Utilization of diets amended with yeast and amino acids for the control of aflatoxicosis vol.24, pp.11, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-008-9776-5
- Evaluation of high-grade sodium bentonite on performance and immune status of broilers, fed ochratoxin and aflatoxin vol.2, pp.4, 2009, https://doi.org/10.3920/WMJ2009.1136
- Effect of mannanoligosaccharides and/or enzymes on antibody titers against infectious bursal and Newcastle disease viruses vol.61, pp.1, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-09352009000100002
- Beneficial Effects of Probiotic and Food Borne Yeasts on Human Health vol.2, pp.4, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu2040449
- Chemical, Physical and Biological Approaches to Prevent Ochratoxin Induced Toxicoses in Humans and Animals vol.2, pp.7, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins2071718
- Efficacy of mannanoligosaccharides and humate on immune response to Avian Influenza (H9) disease vaccination in broiler chickens vol.34, pp.8, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11259-010-9444-8
- Mycotoxin co-contamination of food and feed: meta-analysis of publications describing toxicological interactions vol.4, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3920/WMJ2011.1281
- Microbial strategies to control aflatoxins in food and feed vol.4, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3920/WMJ2011.1290
- L.) and Dextran Oligosaccharide on Growth Performance and Antibody Titer Response of Broiler Chickens vol.14, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4081/ijas.2015.3473
- Mycotoxins - prevention and decontamination by yeasts vol.55, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/jobm.201400833
- Biodegradation of Ochratoxin A for Food and Feed Decontamination vol.2, pp.5, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins2051078
- in vitro vol.43, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13876