- Volume 35 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Identification and Characterization of a Conserved Baculoviral Structural Protein ODVP-6E/ODV-E56 from Choristoneura fumiferana Granulovirus
- Rashidan, Kianoush Khajeh ;
- Nassoury, Nasha ;
- Giannopoulos, Paresa N. ;
- Guertin, Claude
- Published : 2002.11.30
A gene that encodes a homologue to baculoviral ODVP-6E/ODV-E56, a baculoviral envelope-associated viral structural protein, has been identified and sequenced on the genome of Choristoneura fumiferana granulovirus (ChfuGV). The ChfuGV odvp-6e/odv-e56 gene was located on an 11-kb BamHI subgenomic fragment using different sets of degenerated primers, which were designed using the results of the protein sequencing of a major 39 kDa structural protein that is associated with the occlusion-derived virus (ODV). The gene has a 1062 nucleotide (nt) open-reading frame (ORF) that encodes a protein with 353 amino acids with a predicated molecular mass of 38.5 kDa. The amino acid sequence data that was derived from the nucleotide sequence in ChfuGV was compared to those of other baculoviruses. ChfuGV ODVP-6E/ODV-E56, along with othe baculoviral ODVP-6E/ODV-E56 proteins, all contained two putative transmembrane domains at their C-terminus. Several putative N-and O-glycosylation, N-myristoylation, and phosphorylation sites were detected in the ChfuGV ODVP-6E/ODV-E56 protein. A similar pattern was detected when a hydrophobicity-plots comparison was performed on ChfuGV ODVP-6E/ODV-E56 with other baculoviral homologue proteins. At the nucleotide level, a late promoter motif (GTAAG) was located at -14 nt upstream to the start codon of the GhfuGV odvp-6e/odv-e56 gene. a slight variant of the polyadenylation signal, AATAAT, was detected at the position +10 nt that is downstream from the termination signal. A phylogenetic tree for baculoviral ODVP-6E/ODV-E56 was constructed using a maximum parsimony analysis. The phylogenetic estimation demonstrated that ChfuGV ODVP-6E/ODV-E56 is most closely related to those of Cydia pomonella granulovirus (CpGV) and Plutella xylostella granulovirus (PxGV).
Choristoneura fumiferana granulovirus;Envelopeassociated protein;ODVP-6E/ODV-E56;Phylogeny;Protein analysis
- Altshul, S. E., Gish, W., Miller, W., Meyers, E. W. and Lipman, D. J. (1990) Basic local alignment search tool. J. Mol. Biol. 215, 403-410. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-2836(05)80360-2
- Bah, A., Bergeron, J., Arella, M., Lucarotti, C. J. and Guertin, C. (1997) Identification and sequence analyses of the granulin gene of Choristoneura fumiferana granulovirus. Arch. Virol. 142, 1577-1584. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007050050181
- Bairoch, A., Bucher, P. and Hofmann, K. (1997) The PROSlTE database, its status in 1997. Nucleic Acids Res. 25, 217-221. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/25.1.217
- Braunagel, S. C., He, H., Ramamurthy, P. and Summers, M. D. (1996) Transcription, translation, and cellular localization of three Autographa califomica nuclear polyhedrosis virus structural proteins: ODV-EI8. ODV-E35, and ODV-EC27. Virology 222, 100-114. https://doi.org/10.1006/viro.1996.0401
- Braunugel. S. C. and Summers, M. D. (1994) Autographa caltfornica nuclear polyhedrosis virus, PDV, and ECV viral envelopes and nucleocapsids: structural proteins, antigens, lipid and fatty acid profiles. Virology 202, 315-328. https://doi.org/10.1006/viro.1994.1348
- Darvey, J. (1989) Sorting out the secretory pathway. Bioassays 11, 185-187. https://doi.org/10.1002/bies.950110607
- Federici, B. A. (1999) Naturally occurring baculoviruses for insect pest control. Methods in Biotechnology 5, 301-305.
- Forte, A. J., Guertin, C. and Cabana, J. (1999) Pathogenicity of a granulovirus towards Choristoneura fumiferana. Canadian Entomologist 131. 725-727. https://doi.org/10.4039/Ent131725-6
- Funk, C. J. and Consigli, R. A. (1993) Temporal expression and immunogold localization of Plodia interpunctella granulosis virus structural proteins. Virus Res. 28, 57-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1702(93)90089-6
- Garnier, J., Gibrat, J. -F. and Robson, B. (1996) GDR secondary structure prediction method version IV; in Methods in Enzymology vol. 266. Doolittle, R. F. (ed), pp. 540-553, Academic Press. San Diego, Carlifornia. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(96)66034-0
- Hanllen, J. E., Lund, O., Tolstrup, N., Gooley, A. A., Williams, K. L. and Brunak. S. (1998) NetOglyc: prediction of mucin type O-glycosylation sites based on sequence context and surface accessibibty.Glycoconj. J. 15, 115-130. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006960004440
- Hofmann, K. and Stoffel, W (1993) TMbase-A database of membrane spanning proteins segments. Biol. Chem. Hoppe-Seyler 374, 166.
- Hong, T., Braunagel, S. C. and Summers, M. D. (1994) Transcription, translation, and cellular localization of PDV-E66: a structural protein of the PDV envelope of Autographa califomica nuclear polyhedrosis virus. Virology 204, 210-222. https://doi.org/10.1006/viro.1994.1525
- Kozak, M. (1986) Point mutations define a sequence flanking the AUG initiator codon that modulate translation by eukaryotic ribosomes. Cell 44, 282-292.
- Kuzio, J., Jaques, R. and Faulkner, P. (1989) Identification of p74, a gene essential for virulence of baculovirus occlusion bodies. Virology 173, 759-763. https://doi.org/10.1016/0042-6822(89)90593-X
- Laemmli, U. K. (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227, 680- 685 https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Luque, T., Finch, R., Crook, N., O'Reilly, D. R. and Winstanley, D. (2001) The complete sequence of the Cydia pomonella granulovirus genome. J. Gen. Viral. 82, 2531-2547 https://doi.org/10.1099/0022-1317-82-10-2531
- Moller, S., Croning, M. D. R. and Apweiler, R. (2001) Evaluation of methods for the prediction of membrane spanning regions. Bioinformatics 17, 646-653. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/17.7.646
- Rohrmann, G. F. (1992) Baculovirus structural proteins, J. Gen. Virol. 73, 749-761. https://doi.org/10.1099/0022-1317-73-4-749
- Russell, R. L. and Rormann, G.F. (1993) A 25-kDa protein is associated with the envelopes of occluded baculovirus virions. Virology 195, 532-540. https://doi.org/10.1006/viro.1993.1404
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E. F. and Maniatis, T. (1989) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd ed., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, New York.
- Swofford, D. L. (2000) PAUP Version 4, Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts.
- Thompson, J. D., Gibson, T. J., Plewniak, F., Jeanmougin, F. and Higgins, D. G. (1997) The ClustalX windows interface: tlexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Res. 24, 4876-4882.
- Whitford, M. and Faulkner, P. (1993) Nucleotide sequence and transcriptional analysis of a gene encoding gp41, a structural glycoprotein of the baculovirus Autographa californica nuclear polyhedrosis virus. J Virol. 67. 2427.
- Penetration of baculoviruses into cell: Universal mechanism and intriguing details vol.24, pp.2, 2009, https://doi.org/10.3103/S0891416809020013
- ODV-Associated Proteins of thePieris rapaeGranulovirus vol.10, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1021/pr2000804
- Location and phylogenetic analysis of the region immediately upstream of the granulin gene of the Clostera anachoreta granulovirus vol.121, pp.1, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2005.10.005
- Transcription, Translation, and Immunolocalization of ODVP-6E/ODV-E56 and p74 Proteins: Two Highly Conserved ODV-associated Envelope Proteins of Choristoneura fumiferana Granulovirus vol.38, pp.1, 2005, https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2005.38.1.065
- Polydnavirus hidden face: The genes producing virus particles of parasitic wasps vol.101, pp.3, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jip.2009.04.006
- Identification, transcriptional and phylogenetic analysis of the DNA polymerase gene of Pieris rapae granulovirus vol.34, pp.3, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11262-006-0020-9
- Choristoneura fumiferana Granulovirus p74 Protein, a Highly Conserved Baculoviral Envelope Protein vol.36, pp.5, 2003, https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2003.36.5.475
- Choristoneura fumiferana Granulovirus pk-1: A Baculoviral Protein Kinase vol.38, pp.4, 2005, https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2005.38.4.457