- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effect of Dexamethasone Stress on Concentrations of Zinc in Blood Plasma and in Sub-Cellular Fractions of Various Tissues of Neonatal Buffalo Calves
- Singh, Charanbir (Department of Veterinary Biochemistry, College of Veterinary Science, Punjab Agricultural University) ;
- Singha, S.P.S. (Department of Veterinary Biochemistry, College of Veterinary Science, Punjab Agricultural University)
- Received : 2001.11.07
- Accepted : 2002.02.18
- Published : 2002.07.01
Effect of chemical stress of daily administration of glucocorticoid (dexamethasone @0.125 mg./calf/day) injections on plasma zinc levels, Zn status of body tissues and its distribution in sub cellular fractions, was studied in neonatal buffalo calves. Daily i/m injections of dexamethasone, starting at the completion of 1 week of age and continued till 8th week, led to a significant decline in plasma Zn concentration from 3rd week onwards, which then persisted throughout the rest of the experimental period. In control group, liver had the highest concentration of zinc, followed by heart, muscle, spleen, kidney and testis. In all these tissues, cytosolic fractions had the highest (>60%) zinc levels followed by nuclear, mitochondrial and microsomal fractions. In dexamethasone treated calves, there was a significant increase in the Zn uptake by the tissues of liver and muscle. This increase in zinc concentration was observed in all the sub cellular fractions of liver and muscle, however about 80% of this increase was in cytosolic fraction. It was concluded that glucocorticoid-induced stress caused increase in Zn levels of liver/muscles and decrease in blood plasma zinc, thus indicating a redistribution of Zn in body.
Dexamethasone;Zinc Status;Plasma;Tissues;Neonatal Buffalo Calves
- Chen, R. W., D. J. Eakin and P. D. Whhanger. 1974. Biological function of metallothionein II. Its role in zinc metabolism in rat. Nutr. Rep. Int. 10:195.
- Flynn, A., W. J. Pories, W. H. Strain, O. A. Hill and R. B. Fratianne. 1971. Rapid serum zinc depletion associated with corticosteroid therapy. The Lancet. 27:1169. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(71)90487-9
- Laflamme, D. P., W. J. Miller, M. W. Neathery, R. P. Gentry, D. M. Blackmon, K. R. Longer and A. S. Fielding. 1985. The effect of low to normal dietary phosphorus levels on zinc metabolism and tissue distribution in calves. J. Anim. Sci. 61(2):525-531.
- Sawadogo, G., P. Saqui-Sannes and V. Bugat. 1988. Note on the effects of age and sex on plasma concentration of copper, zinc and magnesium in Gobra Zebus. Veterinary Bulletin 58(8):5049(Abstr.).
- Vikbladh. I. 1950. Studies on zinc in blood. Scand. J. Clin. Lab. Invest. 2:143-148. https://doi.org/10.3109/00365515009051850
- Henkin, R. I. 1974. On the role of adrenocorticosteroids in the control of zinc and copper metabolism in man. In: Trace Elements Metabolism in Animals (Ed. W. G. Hoekstra, J. W. Suttie, H. E. Gonther and W. Mertz. Baltimore). M.D.: University Park, 1974. Vol. 2, p. 674.
- Jenkins, K. J. 1989. Effect of copper loading of pre ruminant calves on intra cellular distribution of hepatic copper, zinc, iron and molybdenum. J. Dairy Sci. 72:2346-2350.
- Brewer, G. J. and A. S. Prasad. 1977. Zinc metabolism : Current Aspects in Health and Disease. Alan. R. Liss, Inc., New York.
- Vallee, B. L. and K. H. Falchuk. 1993. The biochemical basis of zinc physiology. Physiol. Rev. 73(1):92.
- Montgomery, M. L., G. H. Sheline and I. L. Chaikoff. 1943. Elimination of administered zinc in pancreatic juice and bile of dog as measured by its radioactive isotope (Zn65). J. Exp. Med. 78:151-156. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.78.3.151
- Falchuk, K. H. 1977. Effect of acute disease and ACTH on serum zinc proteins. N. Engl. J. Med. 269:1129-1134.
- Kincaid, R. L., W. J. Miller, R. P. Gentry, D. L. Hampton and M. W. Neathery. 1976. Effect of high dietary Zn upon zinc metabolism and intracellular distribution in cows and calves. J. Dairy Sc. 59 (9):1580-1584.
- Ludmilla, D. 1976. Chemical analysis by atomic absorption spectroscopy. Varian Techtron Pvt. Ltd. Melbourne, Australia.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1976. Statistical Methods. Iowa. Iowa State University Press, USA.
- Miller, W. J., E. S. Wells, R. P. Gentry and M. W. Neathery. 1971. Endogenous Zn excretion and 65Zn metabolism in Holstein Calves fed intermediate to high but non toxic Zn levels in practical diets. J. Nutr. 101:1673-1682. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114508123418
- Porter, H., W. Wiener and M. Barker. 1961. The intra cellular distribution of Copper in immature liver. Biochem. Biophys. Acta. 52:419. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-3002(61)90398-5
- Wegner, T. N., D. E. Ray, C. D. Lox and G. H. Stott. 1973. Effect of stress on serum zinc and plasma cortcoids in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 56(6):748-752.
- Endre, L., F. W. J. Beck and A. S. Prasad. 1990. The role of zinc in human health. J. Trace Elem. Exp. Med. 3:337-375.
- Saylar, William, W. and Ronald, M. Leach. 1980. Intracellular distribution of copper and zinc in sheep : effect of age and dietary level of the metals. J. Nutr. 110:448.
- Weeks, B. R., J. E. Smith, R. M. DeBower and J. M. Smith. 1989. Decreased serum iron and zinc concentration in cattle receiving intravenous dexamethasone. Vet. Pathol. 26(4):345-346.
- Carcagno, A. R., F. A. Gullace, I. J. Soler, C. A. Fernandez, A. M. Bernardi and E. G. Capaul. 1994. Zinc in blood plasma and hair concentration and distribution in 150 Aberdeen Angus steers. Veterinary Bulletin 64(12):7983(Abstr.).
- Tanabe, S. 1980. Effect of zinc injection on zinc binding in cytosols of several tissues of kids. Br. J. Nutr. 44:355. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19800050