- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effects of Daidzein on Body Weight Gain, Serum IGF-I Level and Cellular Immune Function in Intact Male Piglets
- Wang, Genlin ;
- Zhang, Xiangying ;
- Han, Zhaoyu ;
- Liu, Zhaobin ;
- Liu, Weirong
- Received : 2001.09.13
- Accepted : 2002.02.15
- Published : 2002.07.01
10 male piglets at 5-6 weeks old with similar body weight (BW) were randomly assigned into the experimental (EXP) and control (CON) groups. The animals in EXP received intro-muscular injection with daidzein (DA) at the dose of 0.5 mg DA per kg start BW on day 1. The same procedures were repeated once every 3 days for eight times. The animals in CON received the injection only with same volume of control peanut oil. The animals were weighted on day 14 and 28 and the blood samples were obtained at different stages of the treatment for determining IGF-I levels and blood parameters. At the end of the experiment, the thymus and spleen from all the animals were surgically taken out and weighted. The results showed that BW and average daily gain (ADG) were not significantly different between the groups in term of the whole period, but ADG between days 14-28 was higher in EXP than in CON (p<0.05). On days 18, 21 and 25, IGF-I levels in EXP group were 20.53% (p<0.05), 15.92% (p>0.05) and 23.46% (p<0.05), respectively, higher than those in CON. The weights of thymus and spleen, the ratios of their weights to BW and red blood count (RBC) did not significantly differ between the groups at all stages. White blood count (WBC) in EXP steadily increased from day 22, reached its apex on day 24, which was higher than in CON (p<0.05) and its own levels on day 20 and 22 (p<0.01 or p<0.05), and remained higher on the later time (p=0.058). The results of percentage of T-Lymphocytes also demonstrated similar trend to WBC, but TLymphocyte transformation rate (%) appeared no significant change between the groups. In conclusion, Daidzein could stimulate male piglet growth and elevate serum IGF-I levels at certain stages of the treatment. It could also increase WBC and T-Lymphocyte rates, but had no significant impacts on RBC and T-Lymphocyte transformation rate.
- Chang, C. Y., L. J. Huang, J. P. Wang, C. M. Teng, S. C. Chen and S. C. Kuo. 2000. Synthesis and anti-platelet, anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic activities of methoxyisoflavanquinone and related compounds. Chem. Pharm. Bull (Tokyo). 48:964-973.
- Clifton-Bligh, P. B., R. J. Baber, G. R. Fulcher, M. L. Nery and T. Moreton. 2001. The effect of isoflavones extracted from red clover (Rimostil) on lipid and bone metabolism. Menopause. 8:259-265. https://doi.org/10.1097/00042192-200107000-00007
- Han Zhengkang. 1999. An isoflavone phytoestrogen-daidzein: its effect on growth and some endocrine in male animals. Animal Husb. Vet. Med. 31:1-2.
- Lundh, T. 1995. Metabolism of estrogenic isoflavones in domestic animals. Proc. Soc. Exp. Bio. Med. 208:33-39.
- Mitchell, J. H., E. Cawood, D. Kinniburgh, A. Provan, A. R. Collins and D. S. Irvine. 2001. Effect of a phytoestrogen food supplement on reproductive health in normal males. Clin. Sci. 100:613-618. https://doi.org/10.1042/CS20000212
- Odum, J., H. Tinwell, K. Jones, J. P. Van Miller, R. L. Joiner, G. Tobin, H. Kawasaki, R. Deghenghi and J. Ashby. 2001. Effect of rodent diets on the sexual development of the rat. Toxicol. Sci. 61:115-127. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/61.1.115
- Yu Huo, Xie Shaowen and Yang Guizhen (chief editors). 1982. Clinical Immune Techniques. Shanghai Science & Technology Publishing House. 1st edition:314-320.
- Zhu Zhongyong (chief editor). 1992. Practical Medical Test. Renmin Military Surgeon Press. 1st edition:6-12.
- Jiang Shibo and Chen Zehong. 1983. Complex Contrast Dying Method of T lymphocytes ANAE. Chinese J. Medi. Tests. 16:234-237.
- Kelly, K. W. 1988. Cross-talk between the immune and endocrine system. J. Anim. Sci. 66:2095-2108.
Breier, B. H., P. D. Gluckman and J. J. Bass. 1988. The somatotrophic axis in young steers: influence of nutritional status and estradiol-17
$\beta$on hepatic high and low-affinity somatotrophic binding sites. J. Endocr. 116:169-177. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1160169
- Kaladas, R. S. 1989. Reproduction and general metabolic effects of phytoestrogens in mammals. Reproductive Toxicology Review. 3:81-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/0890-6238(89)90042-7
- Bauer, M. and N. Parvizi. 1996. Pulsatile and diurnal secretion of GH and IGF-I in the chronically catheterized-pig fetus. J. Endocrinol. 149:125-133. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1490125
- Yan, X. H., J. F. Gu and C. P. Sun. 1997. Progress in anticancer mechanisms of soybean isoflavones. Sheng Li Ke Xue Jin Zhan (Advance of Physiology ) in Chinese. 28:362-364.
- Wang Genlin, Chen Jie, Chen Weihua and Han Zhaoyu. 1999. Effect of daidzein on secretion of GnRH, LH and inhibin in gilts. J. Jiangsu Agric. Sci. 15:26-29.
Weber, K. S., N. A. Jacobson, K. D. Setchell and E. D. Lephart. 1999. Brain aromatase and 5
$\alpha$-reductase,regulatory behaviors and testosterone levers in adult rats on phytoestrogen diet. Pro. Soc. Exp. Bio. Med. 221:131-135. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1373.1999.d01-66.x
- Whitten, P. L., C. Lewis, E. Russell and F. Naftolin. 1995. Potential adverse effects of phytoestrogens. J. Nutr. 125:771S-776.
- Weber, K. S., K. D. Setchell, D. M. Stocco and E. D. Lephart. 2001. Dietary soy-phytoestrogens decrease testosterone levels and prostate weight without altering LH, prostate 5alphareductase or testicular steroidogenic acute regulatory peptide levels in adult male Sprague-Dawley rats. J. Endocrinol. 170:591-599. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1700591
- Bayer, T., T. Colnot and W. Dekant. 2001. Disposition and biotransformation of the estrogenic isoflavone daidzein in rats. Toxicol. Sci. 62:205-211. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/62.2.205
- Zhang Rongqing, Han Zhengkang and Chen Jie. 1995. Effect of daidzein on immune function and levels of serum and colostrum GH, PRL and SS in sows. J. Zoology. 41:201-206.
- Zhang Rongqing, Han Zhengkang, Chen Jie. 1993.Impact of isoflavone phytoestrogen on immune function in the mouse. J. Nanjing Agricultural University. 16:64-68.
- Nwannenna, A. I., T. J. Lundh, A. Madej, G. Fredriksson and G. Bjornhag. 1995. Clinical changes in ovariectomized ewes exposed to phytoestrogens and 17 bete-estradiol implants. Proc. Soc. Exp. Bio. Med. 208:92-97.
- Payne, R. L., T. D. Bidner, L. L. Southern and J. P. Geaghan. 2001. Effects of dietary soy isoflavones on growth, carcass traits, and meat quality in growing-finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 79:1230-1239.
- Wang Hui. 2000. Functional regulation of T-lymphocytes by growth hormone. Chinese J. Immuno. 16:480-484.
- Parvizi, N., G. L. Wang and El-Bolking. 1998. Effects of an estrogenic and a non-estrogenic xenobiotic on LH secretion and reproductive performance in the pig and in the rat. Reprod. Dom. Anim. 33:209-211. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.1998.tb01344.x
- Tao Yixun and Zhang Gusheng (chief editors). 1993. Clinical Immune Tests. Shanghai Science & Technology Publishing House. 1st edition: 44-47.
- Wang, G. L, Z. H. Zhao, W. H. Chen and J. Chen. 2000. Effect of daidzein intromuscular injection on GnRH receptor binding in the pituitary in the piglets. J. Jiangsu. Agric. Sci. 16:233-236.
- Wang Guojie and Han Zhengkang. 1994. Effects of red-clover isoflavones on growth and serum testosterone in male chicken. Res. Anim. Sci. 15:65-69.
- Liu, G. T. 1996. Isoflavone-daidzein: its effect on animal growth and lactation and neuro-endocrine mechanism involved. Ph.D. dissertation, Nanjing Agricultural University.
- Ren, M. Q., G. Kuhn, J. Wegner, G. Nurnberg, J. Chen and K. Ender. 2001. Feeding daidzein to late pregnant sows influences the estrogen receptor beta and type 1 insulin-like growth factor receptor mRNA expression in newborn piglets. J. Endocrinol. 170:129-135. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1700129
- Setchell, K. D. and A. Cassidy. 1999. Dietary isoflavones:Biological effects and relevance to human health. J. Nutr. 129:758S-767S.
- Wang, W., C. M. Higuchi and R. Zhang. 1997.Individual and combinatory effects of soy isoflavones on the in vitro potentivation of lymphocyte activation. Nutr. Cancer. 29:29-34. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635589709514598
- Wojtowicz, S. P. Reversal of tumor-induced immunosuppression: a new approach to cancer therapy. J. Immunotherapy. 1997, 20:165. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002371-199705000-00001
- Breier, B. H., B. W. Gallaher and P. D. Gluckman. 1991. Radioimmunoassay for insulin-like growth factor-I: solutions to some potential problems and pitfalls. J. Endocrinol. 128:347-357. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1280347
- The phytoestrogen daidzein may affect reproductive performance of Zhedong White geese by regulating gene mRNA levels in the HPG axis vol.54, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668.2013.767439
- Potential Risk of Isoflavones: Toxicological Study of Daidzein Supplementation in Piglets vol.63, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.5b00677
- Effects of Dietary Daidzein Supplementation on Reproductive Performance, Serum Hormones, and Reproductive-Related Genes in Rats vol.10, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10060766