- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Chinese and Argentine Soybeans on Nutrient Digestibility and Organ Morphology in Landrace and Chinese Min Pigs
- Qin, G.X. (Faculty of Animal Science and Technology, Jilin Agricultural University) ;
- Xu, L.M. (Department of Animal Science and Tech., Northeast Agricultural University) ;
- Jiang, H.L. (Faculty of Animal Science and Technology, Jilin Agricultural University) ;
- van der Poel, A.F.B. (Department of Animal Nutrition, Wageningen Institute of Animal Sciences (WIAS), Wageningen Agricultural University) ;
- Bosch, M.W. (Department of Animal Nutrition, Wageningen Institute of Animal Sciences (WIAS), Wageningen Agricultural University) ;
- Verstegen, M.W.A. (Department of Animal Nutrition, Wageningen Institute of Animal Sciences (WIAS), Wageningen Agricultural University)
- Received : 2001.05.08
- Accepted : 2001.11.15
- Published : 2002.04.01
Twenty Landrace and twenty Min piglets, with an average initial body weight of 22.4 kg, were randomly divided into 5 groups with 4 animals per group, within each of the breeds. The piglets were housed in individual concrete pens. Each group of the piglets was fed one of 5 diets. The diets contained either 20% raw Argentine soybeans, 20% processed Argentine soybeans (
- Herkelman, K. L. and G. L. Cromwell. 1990. Utilization of full-fat soybeans by swine reviewed. Feedstuffs 62(52):13-16,22.
- Herkelman, K. L., G. L. Cromwell, S. T. Stakly, T. W. Pfeiffer and D. A. Knabe. 1992. Apparent digestibility of amino acids in raw and heated conventional and low-trypsin-inhibitor soybeans for pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 70:818-826.
- Kik, M., J. Huisman, A. B. F. Van der Poel and J. Mouwen. 1988. Pathological changes of the small intestinal mucosa of piglets after feeding Phaseolus vulgaris beans. In: Recent Advances of Research in Antinutritional Factors in Legume Seeds (Ed. J. Huisman, A. F. B. van der Poel and I. E. Liener). Proceedings of First International Workshop on 'Antinutritional Factors (ANFs) in Legume Seeds', November 23-25, 1988, Wageningen, The Netherlands. pp. 49-53.
- Kik, M. J. L., J. F. J. G. Koninkx, A. J. C. Vanden Muysenberg and E. G. J. Hendriksen. 1991. Pathological effects of Phaseolus vulgaris isolectins on pig jejunal mucosa in organ culture. In: Effects of Lectin in Legume Seeds on the Structure and Function of the Small Intestinal Mucosa Maria (Ed. J. L. Kik).: In vivo and in vitro studies (Ph.D. Thesis, University of Utrecht). pp. 41-57.
- Liener, I. E. 1980 Protease inhibitors. Toxic constituents of plant foodstuffs. Academic Press. New York, US.
- Liener, I. E., Z. Nitsan, C. Srisangnam, J. J. Rackis and M. R. Gumbmann 1985. The USDA trypsin inhibitor study. II. Time related biochemical changes in the pancreas of rats. Qualitas Plantarum. Pl. Food Hum. Nutr. 35:243-257. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01092197
- Nitsan, Z. and I. Nir. 1986. Accentuated response to soybean inhibitors by meal-feeding in various species. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 199:199-223.
- Xian, J. and D. J. Farrell. 1991. The nutritive value of microwaveprocessed raw soya beans determined with chickens, rats and rabbits. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 34:127-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(94)90196-1
- Yen, J. T., T. Hymowitz and A. H. Jensen. 1974. Effects of soybeans of different trypsin-inhibitor activities on performance of growing swine. J. Anim. Sci. 38(2):304-309.
- King, T. P., A. Pusztai and E. M. W. Clarke. 1982. Kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) lectin-induced lesions in rat small intestine. 3. Ultrastructural studies. J. Comp. Pathol. 92:357-373. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9975(82)90021-4
- Van der Poel, A. F. B., P. W. Mollee, J. Huisman and I. E. Liener. 1990a. Variation among species of animals in response to the feeding of heat-processed beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.).1.Bean processing and effects on growth, digestibility and organ weight in piglets. Livest. Prod. Sci. 25:121-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(90)90046-9
- isser, A. and G. H. Tolman. 1993. The influence of various processing condition on the level of antinutritional factors in soya protein products and their nutritional value for calves. In:Recent Advances of Research in Antinutritional Factors in Legume Seeds. (Ed. A. F. B. van der Poel, J. Huisman and H. S. Saini). Proceedings of 2nd International Workshop on Antinutritional factors (ANFs) in Legume Seeds. Wageningen, The Netherlands, 1-3 december 1993, pp. 447-453.
- Fevrier, C., D. Bourdon and A. Aumaittre. 1988. Digestive capacity of the Chinese pig-effect of dietary fibre on digestibility and intestinal and pancreatic enzymes. Proc. 4th Sem. Digestive Physiology in the Pig, 6-10 June, 1988, Jablonna, Poland. pp. 172-179.
- Huisman, J., A. F. B. Van der Poel, J. M. V. M. Mouwen and E. J. Van Weerden. 1990b. Effect of variable protein contents in diets containing Phaseolus vulgaris beans on performance, organ weights and blood variables in piglets, rats and chickens. Br. J. Nutr. 64:755-764. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19900077
- Qin, G. X., E. R. Ter Elst, M. W. Bosch and A. F. B. Van der Poel. 1996. Thermal processing of whole soya beans: Studies on the inactivation of antinutritional factors and effects on ileal digestibility in pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 57: 313-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00863-2
- Duan, Y. C. 1984. Morphological differences in gastrointestinal tract between Harbin White and Min pigs, Journal of Northeast Agricultural College. Suppl(1984):12-18.
- Qin, G. X. and P. Chen. 1995. Antinutritional factors in soybeans, and feeding full-fat soybeans for pigs. Paper presented at the 4th Symposium of Northeast Pig Production Research council. Nov.20-22nd, 1995, Changchun, P.R. China.
- Pusztai, A. 1988. Biological effects of dietary lectin. In: Recent Advances of Research in Antinutritional Factors in Legume Seeds (Ed. J. Huisman, A. F. B. van der Poel and I. E. Liener). Proceedings of the First International Workshop on 'Antinutritional Factors (ANFs) in Legume Seeds', November 23-25, 1988, Wageningen, The Netherlands. pp. 17-29.
- Qin, G. X., Verstegen, M. W. A. and M. W. Bosch. 1995. Variation of digestive capacity between genetically different pig populations: a review. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 73:233-242. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.1995.tb00423.x
- Huisman, J., A. F. B. Van der Poel, Leeuwen, P. Van and M. W. A. Verstegen. 1990a. Com-parison of growth, nitrogen metabolism and organ weights in piglets and rats fed on the diets containing Phaseolus vulgaris beans. Br. J. Nutr. 64:743-753. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19900076
- Humason, G. H. 1967. PAS and feulgen techniques, and related reactions. In: Animal Tissue Techniques (Second edition) (Ed. G. H. Humason). W.H.Freeman and Company, San Francisco. pp. 303-309.
- Monari, S. 1993. Fullfat soybeans in pig feeding. Fullfat Soya Handbook, 2nd edn. American Soybean Association, Brussels, pp. 22-28.
$SAS/STAT^R$User's Guide, Version 6, Fourth Edition, Vol.2, Cary, NC. SAS Institute Inc.
- Zhao, G. 1989. In: Research on Min Pigs. Heilongjiang Sci. Technol. Press. pp. 145-185.
- Grant, G., W. B. Watt, J. C. Stewart and A., Pusztai. 1987. Changes in the small intestine and hind-leg muscles of rats induced by dietary (Glycine max) protein. Medical Science Research. 15: 1355-1356.
- Kakade, M. L., J. J. Bersch, J. E. Mcghee and G. Puskai. 1974. Determination of trypsin inhi-bitor activity of soy products: a collaborative analysis of an improved procedure. Cereal Chem. 51:376-382.
- Van Oort, M. G., R. J. Hamer and E. A. Slager. 1989. The trypsin inhibitor assay: improvement of an existing method. In: Recent Advances of Research in Antinutritional Factors in Legume Seeds. (Ed. J. huisman, A. F. B. van der Poel, I. E. Liener). PUDOC, Wageningen, The Netherlands, pp. 110-113.
- Noland, P. R., D. R. Campbell, R. K Gage, Jr, R. N. Sharp and Z. B. Johnson. 1976. Evaluation of processed soybeans and grains in diets for young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 43(4):763-769.
- NRC, 1988. Nutrient Requirement for Domestic Animals. N0. 2. Requirements of Swine. Ninth Revised Ed.. National Academy of Science, National Research Council. Washington DC.
- Han, W. Z., Z. D. Xiao, B. H. Cui and M. Q. Gao. 1983. A study on adversity-resistance of Min pigs. Chinese J. Anim. Sci. 30:15-17.
- Vandergrift, W. L., D. A. Knabe, T. D. Tanksley, Jr. and S. A. Anderson. 1983. Digestibility of nutrients in raw and heated soyflakes for pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 57(5):1215-1224.
- Van der Poel, A. F. B., J. Blonk, D. J. Van Zuilichem and M. G. Van Oort. 1990c. Thermal inactivation of lectin and trypsin inhibitor activity during steam processing of dry beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) and effect on protein quality. J. Sci. Food Agric. 53:215-228. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740530209
- Van der Poel, A. F. B., I. E. Liener, P. W. Mollee and J. Huisman. 1990b. Variation among species of animals in response to the feeding of heat-processed beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.).2.Growth and organ weights of chicken and rats and digestibility for rats. Livset. Prod. Sci. 25:137-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(90)90047-A
- Grant, G., S. W. B. Ewen, S. Bardocz, D. S. Brown, P. M. Dorward, W. B. Watt, J. C. Stewart and A. Pusztai. 1988. Local (gut) and systemic responses of rats to dietary soybean (Glycine Max) proteins. In: Recent Advances of Research in Antinutritional Factors in Legume Seeds (Ed. J. Huisman, A. F. B. van der Poel and I. E. Liener). Proceedings of the First International Workshop on 'Antinutritional Factors (ANFs) in Legume Seeds', November 23-25, 1988, Wageningen, The Netherlands. pp. 34-38.
- Marty, B. J. and E. R. Chaves. 1993. Effects of heat processing on digestible energy and other nutrient digestibilities of full-fat soybeans fed to weaner, grower and finisher pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 13:411-419.
- Van der Poel, A. F. B., H. L. M. Aarts and M. J. L. Kik. 1990. Air classification of bean flour - effects on protein, antinutritional factors and effect of fines fraction on cultured explants of small intestine mucosa. J. Sci. Food Agric. 53:143-157. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740530202
- De Oliviera, J. T. A., A. Pusztai and G. Grant. 1988. Changes in organs and tissues induced by feeding purified kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) lectin. Nutrition Research. 8:943-947. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(88)80133-7
- Li, D. X. and S. H. Wen. 1990. Scanning electron microscopy examination of gastric gland mucous membrane in healthy adult hens. Bulletin of Veterinary College of PLA. 10 (1):56-59.
- Qin, G. X. 1988. A study on corn distillers' dried grains as protein source for growing and finishing pigs. M.Sc. Thesis, Jilin Agricultural University.
- Qin, G. X., A. F. B. Van der Poel and M. W. A. Verstegen. 1998. Effect of temperature and time during steam treatment on the protein quality of full-fat soybeans from different origins. J. Sci. Food Agric. 77:393-398 https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199807)77:3<393::AID-JSFA59>3.0.CO;2-M
- Yang, S. X. 1983. Nutritional Evaluating Methods for Feedstuffs. People's Publish of Gansu Province, P.R.China.
- Hendriks, H. G. C. J. M., M. J. L. Kik, J. F. J. G. Koninkx, T. S. G. A. M. Van den Ingh and J. M. V. M. Mouwen. 1991. Binding of kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) isolectins to differentiated human colon carcinoma Caco-2 cells and their effects on cellular metabolism. In: Effects of Lectin in Legume Seeds on the Structure and Function of the Small Intestinal Mucosa (Ed. M. J. L. Kik).: In vivo and in vitro studies (Ph.D. Thesis, University of Utrecht). pp. 41-57.
- Sibrits, F. K. 1981. The utilization of maize distillers dried grains in pig growth diets. South African J. Anim. Sci. 11(1):11-15.
- Soybean allergen glycinin induced the destruction of the mechanical barrier function in IPEC-J2 vol.26, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/09540105.2014.998638
- Effects of enzyme products in the diet on growth, dressing-out percent and organ weights of light pigs fed copra-meal-based diets vol.57, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN15545
- β-Conglycinin Reduces the Tight Junction Occludin and ZO-1 Expression in IPEC-J2 vol.15, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms15021915
- Effects of natural winter pasture and commercial pellet on the ultrastructure of small intestinal epithelium in reindeer vol.320, pp.2, 2005, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00441-004-1074-4