- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Correlation between Tenderness and Other Carcass Characteristics of Hanwoo (Korean Native) Steers
- Baik, D.H. (Department of Animal Resources and Biotechnology, College of Agriculture, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Hoque, M.A. (Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Bangladesh Agricultural University) ;
- Park, H.K. (Department of Animal Resources and Biotechnology, College of Agriculture, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2002.02.26
- Accepted : 2002.06.18
- Published : 2002.12.01
This experiment was carried out to evaluate the tenderness of meat and it''s correlation with other carcass traits of Hanwoo steers. The significantly (p<0.01) higher mastication and shearing were observed in boiled meat than in the raw meat but the coefficient of variations were greater in raw meat than in boiled meat. The correlation between raw and boiled meat for shearing and penetration were positive and significant (p<0.01). Negative and significant correlations were observed between mastication and eye muscle area (p<0.05) and also between shearing and cooking loss (p<0.01) in raw meat whereas, penetration in raw meat was positively and significantly (p<0.05) correlated with age of the steers. Shearing in boiled meat negatively and significantly correlated with age (p<0.05), carcass weight (p<0.01), back fat thickness (p<0.01) as well as muscle score (p<0.01). The pH was not significantly correlated with tenderness in both raw and boiled meat. There were possibilities that the tenderness of boiled meat could be predicted from the raw meat.
- Baik, D. H., M. A. Hoque and H. S. Choe. 2002. Estimation of genetic and environmental parameters of carcass traits in Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle) populations. Asian-Aust J. Anim. Sci. 15(11):1523-1526.
- Bouton, P. E., F. D. Carroll, P. V. Harris and W. R. Shorthose. 1973. Influence of pH and fibre construction state upon factors affecting the tenderness of bovine muscle. J. Food Sci. 38:404-407. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1973.tb01440.x
- Dransfield, E. 1981. Eating quality of DFM beef. In: The Problem of Dark-cutting in Beef (Ed. P. V. Tarrant and D. E. Hood). The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff. pp. 345-361.
- Guignot, F., C. Touraille, A. Quali and M. Renerre. 1994. Relationships between post mortem pH changes and some traits of sensory quality in veal. Meat Sci. 37:315-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90049-3
- Jeremiah, L. E., A. K. W. Tong and L. L. Gibson. 1991. The usefulness of muscle color and pH for segregating beef carcass into tenderness groups. Meat Sci. 30:97-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(91)90001-7
- Kim, H. C., D. H. Lee, K. S. Seo, Y. M. Cho and Y. I. Park. 1998. Estimation of heritabilities and expected progeny differences for carcass traits in Hanwoo. Animal Genetics and Breeding 2(1):1-4.
- Purchas, R. W. 1990. An assessment of the role of pH differences in determining the relative tenderness of meat from bulls and steers. Meat Sci. 27:129-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(90)90061-A
- Purchas, R. W. and R. Aungsupakorn. 1993. Further investigations into the relationship between pH and tenderness for beef samples from bulls and steers. Meat Sci. 34:163-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(93)90025-D
- SAS 1991. Statistical Analysis System. SAS institue, SAS Inc. Cary, USA.
- Shin, O. Y. and Y. I. Park. 1990. Estimation of genetic parameters for body weights of Korean native cattle. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 32(6):315-317.
- Silva, J. A., L. Patarata and C. Martins. 1999. Influence of ultimate pH on bovine meat tenderness during aging. Meat Sci. 52:453-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00029-7
- Son, S. K., D. H. Baik, H. S. Choi and K. J. Han. 1997. Estimation of heretabilities for body weights and measurements of Korean native cows in Hanwoo breeding regions. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 39(6):653-660.
- Watanabe, A., C. C. Daley and C. Devine. 1996. The effects of the ultimate pH of meat on tenderness changes during aging. Meat Sci. 42:774-780. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(95)00012-7
- Wolf, B. T., C. Smith and D. I. Sales. 1980. Growth and carcass composition in the crossbred progeny of six terminal sire breeds of sheep. Anim. Prod. 31:307-313. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100024648