- Volume 15 Issue 4
Bovine PAS-4 is an integral membrane glycoprotein expressed in mammary epithelial cells. Complementary DNA (cDNA) cloning of PAS-4 was performed by reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) with oligonucleotide probes based on it's amino terminal and internal tryptic-peptides. The cloned PAS-4 cDNA was 1,852 nucleotides (nt) long and its open reading frame (ORF) was encoded 1,413 base long. The deduced amino acid sequence indicated that PAS-4 consisted of 471 amino acid residues with molecular weight of 52,796, bearing 8 potential N-glycosylation sites and 9 cysteine residues. Partial bovine CD36 cDNA from liver also was sequenced and the homology of both nucleotide sequence was 94%. Most of the identical amino acid residues were in the luminal/extracellular domains. Contrary to PAS-4, bovine liver CD36 displays 6 potential N-glycosylation sites, which were located, except for those at positions 101 and 171, at same positions as PAS-4 cDNA. Cysteine residues of PAS-4 and CD36 were same at position and in numbers. Northern blot analysis showed that PAS-4 was widely expressed, although its mRNA steady-state levels vary considerably among the analyzed cell types. PAS-4 possessed hydrophobic amino acid segments near the amino- and carboxyl-termini. Two short cytoplasmic tails of the amino- and carboxyl-terminal ends constituted of a 5-7 and 8-11 amino acid residues, respectively.
- Alessio, M., D. Ghigo, G. Garbaringo, M. Geuna and F. Malavasi. 1991. Analysis of the human CD36 leucocyte differentiation antigen by means of the monoclonal antibody. Cellular Immunol. 137:487. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-8749(91)90096-T
- Greenwalt, D. E., V. G. Johnson and I. H. Mather. 1985. Specific antibodies to PAS-IV, a glycoprotein of bovine milk-fatglobule membrane, bin to a similar protein in cardiac endothelial cells and epithelial cells of lung bronchioles. Biochem. J. 228:233.
- Greenwalt, D. E., R. H. Lipsky, C. F. Ockenhouse, H. Ikeda, N. N. Tandon and G. A. Jamieson. 1992. Membrane glycoprotein CD36: a review of its roles in adherence, signal transduction, and transfusion medicine. Blood 80:1105.
- Kanno, C., S. Hwangbo and N. Azuma. 1995. Rapid and simple procedure for purifying PAS-4 glycoprotein from bovine milk fat globule membrane. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 59:848. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.59.848
- Kyte, J. and R. F. Doolittle. 1982. A simple method for displaying the hydropathic character of a protein. J. Mol. Biol. 157:105. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-2836(82)90515-0
- Okenhouse, C. F., C. Magowan and J. D. Chulay. 1989. Activation of monocytes and platelets by monoclonal antibodies or malaris-infected erythrocytes binding to the CD36 surface receptor in vitro. J. Clin. Invest. 84:468. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI114188
- Tang, Y., K. T. Tayler, D. A. Sorbieski, E. S. Medved and R. H. Lipsky. 1994. Identification of a human CD36 isoform produced by exon skipping conservation of exon organization and pre-mRNA splicing patterns with a CD36 gene family member, CLA-1. J. Biol. Chem. 269:6011.
- ega, M. A., B. Segui-Real, J. A. Garcia, C. Cales, F. Rodriguez, J. Vaderkerckhove and I. V. Sandoval. 1991. Cloning, sequencing, and expression of a cDNA encoding rat LIMP II, a novel 74-kDa lysosomal membran protein related to the surface adhesion protein CD36. J. Biol. Chem. 166:16818.
- Okenhouse, C. F., N. N. Tandon, G. A. Jamieson and D. E, Greenwalt. 1993. Antigenic and functional differences in adhesionof plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes to human and bovine CD36. Infec. Immun. 61:2229.
- Sanger, F., S. Nicken and A. R. Coulson. 1977. DNA sequencing with chain terminating. Pros. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 74:5463. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.74.12.5463
- Greenwalt, D. E., K. W. K. Watt, O. T. So and N. Jiwani. 1990. PAS-4, an integral membrane protein of mammary epithelial cells, in related to platelet and endothelial cell CD36 (GP IV). Biochemistry 29:7054. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi00482a015
- Capaldi, R. A. 1982. Structure of intrinsic membrane proteins. Trends Biochem. Sci. 7:292. https://doi.org/10.1016/0968-0004(82)90015-9
- Chomczynski, P. and N. Sacchi. 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidium thiocynate-PhOH-chloroform extraction. Anal. Biochem. 162:156. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(87)90021-2
- Hirano, H., S. Komatsu, H. Takakura, F. Sakiyama and S. Tsunasawa. 1992. Deblocking and subsequent microsequence analysis of Na-blocked proteins electroblotted onto PVDF membrane. J. Biochem. 111:754.
- Wyler, B., L. Daviet, H. Bortkiewicz, J. C. Bordet and J. L. McGregor. 1993. Cloning of the cDNA encoding human platelet CD36: comparison to PCR amplified fragmens of monocyte, endotherial and HEL cells. Thromb. Haemastasis. 70:500.
- Clemetson, K. J. and J. L. McGregor. 1987. In: Platelets in Biology and Pathology (Ed. E. E. Maclntyre and J. L. Gordon). Vol. III, Academic Press, New York, pp. 160-212.
- Kanno, C. and D. H. Kim. 1990. A simple procedure for the preparation of bovine milk fat globule membrane and a comparison of its composition, enzymatic activities, and electrophoresis with those prepared by other methods. Agric. Biol. Chem. 54:2845.
- Pechoux, C., P. Clezardin, R. Dante, C. M. Serre, M. Clerget, N. Bertin, J. Lawler, P. D. Delmas, J. L. Vauzelle and L. Frappart. 1994. Localization of thrombospondin, CD36 and CD51 during prenatan development of the human mammary gland. Differentiation 57:133.
- Joheson, P. H. and L. I. Grossman. 1977. Electrophoresis of DNA in agarose gels. Optimizing separations of conformational isomers of double- and single-stranded DNAs. Biochmistry 16:4217. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi00638a014
- Thomas, P. S. 1980. Hybridization of denatured RNA and small DNA fragments transferred to nitrocellulose. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 77, 5201-5205. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.77.9.5201
- Freudenstein, C., T. W. Kennan, W. N. Eigel, M. Sasaki, J. Stadler and W. W. Franke. 1979. Preparation and characterization of the inner coat material associated with fat globule membranes from bovine and human milk. Exp. Cell Res. 118:277. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-4827(79)90153-8
- Endelmann, G., L. W. Stanton, K. S. Madden, C. M. Bryant, R. T. White and A. A. Protter. 1993. CD36 is a receptor for oxiized low density lipoprotein. J. Biol. Chem. 268:1811.
- Oquendo, P., E. Hundt, J. Lawler and B. Seed. 1989. CD36 directly mediates cytoadherence of plasmodium falciparum parasitized rythrocytes. Cell 58:95. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(89)90406-6
- Kanno, C., H. Hattori and K. Yamauchi. 1982. Isolation and characterization of plasma membrane from lactating bovine mammary gland. Biochem. Biophys. Acta 689:121. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-2736(82)90196-1
- Leung, L. L., W. Li, J. L. McGregor, G. Albrecht and R. J. Howard. 1992, CD36 peptides enhance or inhibit CD36-thrombospondin binding. J. Biol. Chem. 267:18244.
- Taylor, K. T., Y. Tang, D. A. Sobieski and R. H. Lipsky. 1993. Characterization of two alternatively spliced 5'-untranslated exons of the human CD36 gene in different cell types. Gene (Amst.). 133:205. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-1119(93)90639-K
- Greenwalt, D. E. and I. H. Mather. 1985. Characterization of an apically derived epithelial membrane glycoprotein from bovine milk, which is expressed in capillary endothelial in diverse tisues. J. Cell Biol. 100:397. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.100.2.397
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation