- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Studies on Lao-Chao Culture Filtrate for a Flavoring Agent in a Yogurt-Like Product
- Liu, Yi-Chung (Laboratory of Chemistry and Technology of Animal Products, Department of Animal Science National Taiwan University) ;
- Chen, Ming-Ju (Laboratory of Chemistry and Technology of Animal Products, Department of Animal Science National Taiwan University) ;
- Lin, Chin-Wen (Laboratory of Chemistry and Technology of Animal Products, Department of Animal Science National Taiwan University)
- Received : 2001.09.20
- Accepted : 2001.12.07
- Published : 2002.04.01
Lao-chao is a traditional Chinese fermented rice product with a sweet and fruity flavor, containing high levels of glucose, a little alcohol and milk-clotting characteristics. In order to optimize commercial production of lao-chao, Rhizopus javanicus and Saccharomyces cerevisiae were selected as the mold and yeast starter, respectively. A commercial mixed starter (chiu-yao) was used as control. Fermentation of the experimental combination revealed a sharp drop in pH (to 4.5) on the fourth day, remaining constant thereafter. Content of reducing sugars gradually decreased throughout the entire fermentation period. Of the free amino acids, higher quantities of alanine, leucine, proline, glutamic acid, glutamine and
- Chen, C. Y. and C. C. Chou. 1991. Biochemical changes during the fermentation of lao-chao, a Chinese rice fermented product, with different starters. Food Sci. (Taiwan) 18:404-415.
- D'more, T. and G. G. Stewart. 1987. Ethanol tolerance of yeast. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 9:322-329. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0229(87)90053-6
- Lehtonen, M. and H. Suomalainen. 1977. Rum. In: Economic Microbiology (Ed. A. H. Rose). Academic Press, London. pp.595-633.
- Potter, N. N. 1973. Food Science. AVI Publishing Inc., Connecticut. pp. 38-54.
- Chen, H. L., H. P. Su and C. W. Lin. 1998. Characterization of yeast cultures for a flavoring agent in a yogurt-type product. J. Food Sci. 63:1-4.
- Lin, C. W. and H. L. Chen. 1996. Screening and characterization of fungal cultures for a milk-clotting enzyme for use in an oriental style dairy product. J. Dairy Res. 63:459-466. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029900031964
- Cronk, T. C., L. R. Mattick, K. H. Steinkraus, L. R. Hackler. 1979. Production of higher alcohols during Indonesian Tape Ketan fermentation. Appl. Environ. Microb. 37:892-896.
- Slocum, R. H. and J. G. Cummings. 1991. Amino acid analysis of physiological samples. In: Techniques in Diagnostic Human Biochemical Genetics: A Laboratory Manual. Beckman Co. Inc., California. pp. 87-126.
- Hesseltine, C. W. 1983. Microbiology of oriental fermented feed. Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 37:575-601. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.mi.37.100183.003043
- Kuo, C. Y., F. S. Wang and C. W. Lin. 1996. Factors affecting milk-clotting activity of sweet leavening extract involved in coagulation of a yoghurt-like product. Food Chem. 55:129-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(95)00076-3
- Meiselman, H. L. 1984. Consumer studies of food habits. In: Sensory Analysis of Foods (Ed. J. R. Piggott). Elevies Applied Science Publisher, Glasgow. pp. 243-303.
- Kunkee, R. E. and A. M. Amerine. 1970. Yeasts in wine-making. In: The Yeasts (Ed. A. H. Rose). Academic Press, London. p. 6.
- Lin, Y. E., P. J. Whalen, R. C. Anantheswaran and K. M. Shahani. 1990. Changes during fermentation of tien chiu niang-a Chinese sweet rice fermented product. Food Sci. (Taiwan) 17:69-78.
- Onyeneho, S. N., J. A. Partridge, J. R. Brunner and J. Guan. 1987. Manufacture and characterization of gua-nai: a new dairy food produced with an oriental-type culture. J. Dairy Sci. 70:2499-2503. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80317-X
- Weng, W. L., Y. C. Liu and C. W. Lin. 2001. Studies on the optimum models of the dairy product Kou Woan Lao using response surface methodology. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14(10):1470-1476. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.1470
- SAS Institute Inc. 1987.SAS/STAT User's Guide. SAS Institute Inc., North Carolina.
- Bangs, W. E. and G. A. Reineccius. 1981. Influence of dryer infeed matrices on the retention of volatile flavor compounds during spray drying. J. Food Sci. 47:254-259. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1982.tb11072.x
- Konosu, S., K. Yamaguchi and T. Hayashi. 1978. Studies on flavor components in boiled crabs. I. Amino acids and related compounds in the extracts. Bulletin Jpn. Soc. Sci. Fisher. 44:505-510. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.44.505
- Wang, H. L. and C. W. Hesseltine. 1970. Sufu and lao-chao. J. Agric. Food Chem. 18:572-575. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60170a046
- Montgomery, D. C. 1991. Experiments with a single factor: the analysis of variance. In: Design and Analysis of Experiments (Ed. D. C. Montgomery). John Wiley and Sons, New York. pp. 75-77.
- Shieh, Y. S. C. and L. R. Beuchat. 1982. Microbial changes in fermented peanut and soybean pastes containing kojis prepared using Aspergillus oryzae and Rhizopus oilgosporus. J. Food Sci. 47:518-522. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1982.tb10115.x
- Fennema, O. R. 1985. Food Chemistry. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York.
- Law, B. A. 1981. The formation of aroma and flavor compounds in fermented dairy products. Dairy Sci. Abs. 43:143-154.
- Heath, H. B. 1978. Flavor Technology: Profiles, Products, Applications. Bush Boake Allen, Ltd., London. p. 306.
- Chen, C. Y. and C. C. Chou. 1993. Volatile flavor constituents in lao-chao, a Chinese traditional fermented product of rice. Food Sci. (Taiwan) 20:229-238.
- Wei, D. L. and S. C. Jong. 1983. Chinese rice pudding fermentation: fungal flora of starter cultures and biochemical changes during fermentation. J. Ferment. Technol. 61:573-579.
- Current awareness in flavour and fragrance vol.17, pp.4, 2002, https://doi.org/10.1002/ffj.1070