- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Feeding Patterns and Sexes on Growth Rate, Carcass Trait and Grade in Korean Native Cattle
- Choi, B.H. (Department of Animal Science, Institute of Biotechnology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Ahn, B.J. (Department of Animal Science, Institute of Biotechnology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kook, K. (Department of Animal Science, Institute of Biotechnology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Sun, S.S. (Department of Animal Science, Institute of Biotechnology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Myung, K.H. (Department of Animal Science, Institute of Biotechnology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Moon, S.J. (Department of Animal Science, Institute of Biotechnology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kim, J.H. (Department of Animal Science, Institute of Biotechnology, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2001.10.25
- Accepted : 2002.01.25
- Published : 2002.06.01
The objectives of this study were to examine growth performance and meat quality by three different feeding patterns in Korean native cattle (KNC). In each of 3 years, fifteen KNC were randomly assigned in a (3 feeding management)
Growth Rate;Carcass Grade;Feeding Pattern;Korean Native Cattle
Supported by : the Agriculture and Forestry Science Foundation, Academic Research of Chonnam National University
- Arthaud, V. H., C. H. Adams, D. R. Jacobs and R. M. Koch. 1969. Comparison of carcass traits of bulls and steers. J. Anim. Sci. 28:742. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1969.286742x
- Bohorov, O., P. J. Buttery, J. H. R. D. Correia and J. B. Soar. 1987. The effect of the b-adrenergic agonist clenbuterol or implementation with estradiol plus trenbolone acetate on protein in wether lambs. Br. J. Nutr. 57:99. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19870013
- Griffin, D. B., J. W. Savell, J. B. Morgan, R. P. Garrett and H. R. Cross. 1992. Estimates of subprimal yields from beef carcasses as affected by USDA grades, subcutaneous fat trim level, and carcass sex class and type. J. Anim. Sci. 70:2411. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.7082411x
- Hicks, R. B., F. N. Owens, D. R. Gill, J. J. Martin and C. A. Strasia. 1990. Effets of controlled feed intake on performance and carcass characteristics of feedlot steers and heifer. J. Anim. Sci. 68:223.
- Knapp, R. H., C. A. Terry, J. W. Savell, H. R. Cross, W. L. Mies and J. W. Edwards. 1989. Characterization of cattle types to meet specific beef targets. J. Anim. Sci. 67:2294. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.6792294x
- Old, C. A. and W. N. Garrett. 1987. Effects of energy intake on energetic efficiency and body composition of beef steers differing in size at maturity. J. Anim. Sci. 65:1371. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.6551371x
- Reeds, P. J., S. M. Hay, P. M. Dorward and R. M. Palmer. 1986. Stimulation of muscle growth by clenbuterol: lack of effect on muscle protein biosynthesis. Br. J. Nutr. 56:249. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19860104
- Trenkle, A. 1987. Combining TBA, estrogen implants results in additive growth promoting effects in steers. Feedstuffs, January 26, 1987, pp. 43-45.
- Wagner, J. J. 1987. Effect of restricting feed intake during the finishing phase on feedlot performance and dietary energy utilization. South Dakota Beef Report, p. 23.
- Plegge, S. D., T. M. Peters, A. DiCostanzo and J. C. Meiske. 1986. Effect of restricting feed intake on performance of yearling steers. Minnesota Cattle Feeders' Report, p. 1.
- Hong, S. K., B. H. Baek, S. H. Kang and W. M. Cho. 1996. Effects of restricted feeding and market weights on the carcass characteristics of hanwoo steers. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 38:215-230.
- Seideman, S. C., H. R. Cross, R. R. Oltjen and B. D. Schanbacher. 1982. Utilization of the intact male for red meat production: A reveiw. J. Anim. Sci. 55:826. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1982.554826x
- Arthaud, V. H., R. W. Mandigo, R. M. Koch and A. W. Kotula. 1977. Carcass composition, quality and palatability attributes of bulls and steers fed different energy levels and killed at four ages. J. Anim. Sci. 44:53. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1977.44153x
- Harvey, W. R. 1975. Least square analysis of data with unequal subclass number, USDA Agricultural Research Service H-4.
- MAF. 1996. Regulation and application of carcass grade in Korean native cattle. Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. Korea.
- Zinn, R. A. 1986. Programming feed intake to optimize performance of feedlot cattle. In: Feed Intake by Beef Cattle (Ed. F. N. Owens). Proc. Symp. pp. 290-296. Oklahoma Agric. Exp. Sta. MP-121.
- Smith, G. C., J. W. Savell, R. P. Clayton, T. G. Field, D. B. Griffin, D. S. Hale, M. F. Miller, T. H. Montgomery, J. B. Morgan, J. D. Tatum and J. W. Wise. 1992. Improving Consistency and Quality of Beef: A Blueprint for total Quality Management in the Fed-Beef Industry. The Final Report of the National Beef Quality Audit-1991. National Cattlemen's Association, Engle wood, CO.
Williams, P. E. V., L. Pagliani, G. M. Innes, K. Pennie, C. I. Harris and P. Garthwaite. 1987. Effect of a
$\beta$-adrenergic agonist (clenbuterol) on growth, carcass composition, protein and energy metabolism of veal calves. Br. J. Nutr. 57:417. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19870049
- Forsberg, N. E., M. A. Ilian, A. Ali-Bar, P. R. Cheeke and N. R. Wehr. 1989. Effects of cimaterol on rabbit growth and myofibrillar protein degradation and on calcium-dependent proteinases and calpastatin activities in skeletal muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 67:3313. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.67123313x
- Glimp, H. A., S. P. Hart and D. VonTungeln. 1989. Effect of altering nutrient density and restricting energy intake on rate, efficiency and composition of growing lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 67:865. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.674865x
- Field, R. A. 1971. Effect of castration on meat quality and quantity. J. Anim. Sci. 32:849. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1971.325849x
- Paek, B, H., B. S. Lee, Y. K. Kim, B. D. Cho and K. S. Lee. 1993. Optimization of marketing weight for meat quality of fattening Korean cattle. RDA. J. Agric. Sci. 35:499-506.
- Plegge, S. D., A. DiCostanzo, S. A. Hansen and J. C. Meiske. 1985. Effect of feed intake on performance of yearling steer. Minesota Cattle Feeders' Report, p. 14.
- Hedrick, H. B. 1968. Bovine growth and composition. Univ. of Missouri Agric. Exp. Sta. Bull. 928.
- Lobley, G. E., A. Connell, V. Buchan, P. A. Skene and J. M. Fletcher. 1987. Administration of testosterone to wether lambs: effects on protein and energy methbolism and growth hormone status. J. Endocrinology 119:439. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1150439
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis (15th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Heitzman, R. H. 1980. Manipulation of protein metabolism, with special reference to anabolic agents. In: Protein Deposition in Animals. (Ed. P. J. Buttery). Butterworths, London. p. 193.
Wheeler, T. L. and M. Koohmaraie. 1992. Effects of the
$\beta$-adrenergic agonist L644,969 on muscle protein turnover, endogenous proteinase activities, and meat tenderness in steers. J. Anim. Sci. 70:3035. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.70103035x
- Morgan, J. B., S. J. Jones and C. R. Calkins. 1989. Muscle protein turnover and tenderness in broiler chickens fed cimaterol. J. Anim. Sci. 67:2646. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.67102646x
- Association of CAST gene polymorphisms with carcass and meat quality traits in Yanbian cattle of China vol.40, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-012-2243-2
- Beef quality traits of heifer in comparison with steer, bull and cow at various feeding environments vol.86, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12266
- Characteristics and Health Benefit of Highly Marbled Wagyu and Hanwoo Beef vol.36, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.6.709
- Keys to production and processing of Hanwoo beef: A perspective of tradition and science vol.2, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.2527/af.2012-0060