- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Different Foliages and Sugar Cane in the Diet in Late Pregnancy on Ewe and Lamb Performance
- Van, Do Thi Thanh (Goat and Rabbit Research Centre) ;
- Ledin, Inger (Goat and Rabbit Research Centre)
- Received : 2001.08.27
- Accepted : 2002.01.02
- Published : 2002.06.01
Thirty mature pregnant ewes of the Phan Rang breed with an initial live weight of 30 to 45 kg were used to compare the effects of three different diets in late pregnancy on ewe and lamb performance. All diets contained 20% of whole sugar cane, 16% rice bran, 26% cassava root and 6% molasses urea block. The remaining 32% of dry matter consisted of Jackfruit (JF diet), 16% each of Jackfruit and Cassava foliage (JF+CS diet) or Jackfruit and Flemingia foliage (JF+FM diet). The diets were fed at 3.5% of actual BW of the individual animal. The foliages were offered at 120% of the amount decided in the diets of the requirements. The JF+CS diet resulted in significantly higher feed intake than the JF diet, and also a higher feed intake than the JF+FM diet, but this difference was not significant. The ewe weight changes during the last 8 weeks of pregnancy, or from start to 24 h after lambing, were significantly different. The highest weight gain was obtained from the ewes fed the JF+CS diet. Diets had no effect on weight changes of ewes during 3 weeks after lambing but a significant effect on the litter birth weight, with the JF+CS diet giving the highest litter birth weight. There was, however, no effect on the litter weight at 21 days or litter growth rate from birth to 21 days due to the experimental diets.
Ewes;Late Pregnancy;Lambs;Foliage;Intake;Weight Change
- Goodchild, A. V., A. I. El-Awad and O. Gursoy. 1999. Effect of feeding level in late pregnancy and early lactation and fibre level in mid lactation on body mass, milk production on quality in Awassi ewes. Anim. Sci. 68:231-243.
- Keir, B., Lai, N. V., Preston, T. R. and E. R. Orskov. 1997. Nutritive value of leaves from tropical trees and shrubs: 1; In vitro gas production and in sacco rumen degradability. Livestock Research for Rural Development 9(4), http://www.cipav.org.co/lrrd.
- Mui, N. T. 1998. The digestibility of four green forages: Whole sugar cane, Para grass, Jackfruit foliage and Flemingia foliage. Proceedings of Workshop of Animal Nutrition Science, Ministry of Agriculture, Vietnam, pp. 138-139.
- Mui, N. T., I. Ledin and D. V. Binh. 2000. Effect of chopping and level of inclusion of whole sugar cane in the diet on intake and growth of goats. Livest. Prod. Sci. 66:25-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00160-3
- Mui, N. T., I. Ledin, P. Uden and D. V. Binh. 2001. Effect of replacing a rice bran-soybean concentrate with Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus) or Flemingia (Flemingia marcrophylla) foliage on the performance of growing goats. Livest. Prod. Sci. 72:253-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00223-8
- Ravindran, V. 1992. Cassava leaves as animal feed: potential and limitations. J. Sci. Food Agric. 61:141-150. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740610202
- Tien, N. P., N. T. Mui and D. V. Binh. 1996. Biomass production and feed quality of multi-purpose trees. Proceeding of National Seminar Workshop on Sustainable Livestock Production of Local Feed Resources, University of Agriculture and Forestry, Ho Chi Minh City. pp. 34-39.
- Van Soest, P. J. 1991. Nutritional Ecology of the Ruminant. O & B Books Inc. Corvalis, Oregon, USA.
- Wanapat, M., O. Pimpa, A. Petlum and U. Boontao. 1997. Cassava hay: A new strategic feed for ruminants during the dry season. Livestock Research for Rural Development 9. (http://www.cipav.org.co/lrrd)
- Devendra, C. and G. B. McLeroy. 1982. Goat and Sheep Production in the Tropics. Intermediate Tropical Agriculture series. Longman, London.
- McNeill, D. M., R. Slepetis, R. A. Ehrhardt, D. A. Smith and A. W. Bell. 1997. Protein requirements of sheep in late pregnancy: Partitioning between gravid uterus and maternal tissues. J. Anim. Sci. 75:809-816. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.753809x
- MAFF. 1975. Energy Allowances and Feeding Systems for Ruminants. Technol. Bull. 33. HMSO, London, UK.
- Charismiadou, M., J. Bizelis, E. Rogdakis, F. Barillet and N. P. Zervas. 1999. The effect of plane of nutrition during pregnancy of Greek dairy ewes on the development of mammary gland and on subsequent milk production. Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on the Milking of Small Ruminants, EAAP Publication 95:295-297.
- Binh, D. V., L. D. L. Bien and N. D. Ly. 2000. Performance of Phan Rang sheep after three years raising in North Vietnam. Proceeding of Workshop of Animal Nutrition Science, Ministry of Agriculture, Vietnam. p. 146.
- Devendra, C. 1988. Non-conventional Feed Resources and Fibrous Agricultural Residues. Strategies for Expanded Utilization. I.D.R.C/I.C.A.R, Singapore.
- Phuc, B. H. 2000. Tropical forages for growing pigs. Dissertation, Agraria 247. SLU, Dept. of Animal Nutrition and Management, P.O. Box 7024, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Binh, D. V., N. P. Tien and N. T. Mui. 1998. Study on biomass yield and quality of Flemingia macrophylla and soil fertility. Proceeding of Workshop of Animal Nutrition Science, Ministry of Agriculture, Vietnam. p. 137.
- Gatenby, R. M. 1986. Nutrition. In: Sheep Production in the Tropics and Sub-tropics. Longman, London and New York. pp. 54-78.
- Haryanto, B., W. L. Johnson and N. Thomas. 1982. Intake preferences for cassava, sweet potato, banana and Napier grass foliages by Indonesian sheep and goats. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Goat Production and Disease, USA. p. 279.
- McDonald, P., R. A. Edwards and J. F. D. Greenhalgh. 1995. Animal Nutrition. Longman Scientific and Technical Publications, Harlow, UK.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Analytical Chemists, Washington DC.
- Mui, N. T. 1994. Economic evaluation of growing Elephant grass, Guinea grass, Sugar cane and Cassava as animal feed or as cash crops on Bavi High land. Suitainable Livestock Production on Local Feed Resources. Agricultural Publishing House, Ho Chi Minh City. pp. 16-19.
- Minitab. 1998. Minitab User's Guide: Data Analysis and Quality tools, Release 12 for windows, Windows 95 and Windows N T., USA.
- Jonasson, A. 1999. Dry matter intake and potential use of locally available feed resources for goats in Vietnam. Minor Field Studies 72. SLU, International office, P.O. Box 7070, Uppsala, Sweden.
- O'Doherty, J. V., P. F. Maher and T. F. Crosby. 1997. The grass silage, maize silage or a maize/ensiled super pressed pulp mixture during late pregnancy. Livest. Prod. Sci. 52:11-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(97)00063-8
- Ravindran, G. and V. Ravindran. 1988. Changes in the nutritional composition of cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) leaves during maturity. Food Chem. 27:299-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(88)90014-3
- Ledin, I. 1995. Effects of level and distribution of concentrate in late pregnancy on ewe and lambs performance. Acta Agric. Scand. Sect A, Anim. Sci. 45:168-177.
- Rogers, D. J. and M. Milner. 1963. Amino acid profile of manioc leaf protein in relation to nutritive value. Econ. Bot. 17:211-216. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02859438
- Effect of feeding cassava and/or Stylosanthes foliage on the performance of crossbred growing cattle vol.42, pp.1, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-009-9378-8