- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Prevention of Scours in Neonatal Kids after Oral Administration of an Organic Acid Solution or Antibiotics
- Kritas, S.K. ;
- Burriel, A.R. ;
- Tzivara, A.H. ;
- Kyriakis, S.C. ;
- Karatzias, H. ;
- Vlemmas, J.
- Received : 2001.09.06
- Accepted : 2002.03.02
- Published : 2002.07.01
The efficacy of an organic acid solution in the prevention of neonatal kid diarrhoea, was examined in this study and was compared with that of different antibiotics. In a goat farm, kids and their mothers were divided in 4 experimental groups. The kids of Group I were not given any treatment serving as negative controls. The kids of Group II were treated orally for 3 consecutive days with a solution of organic acids starting approximately 12 h after their birth. The kids of Groups III and IV were treated once orally with ampicillin and oxytetracycline respectively, approximately 12 h after birth. All groups were compared as regards the occurrence of diarrhoea, its duration, and the rate of mortality. The results have shown that the number of cases and the duration of diarrhoea were significantly reduced in all treated groups, when compared to the control group (p<0.05). However, no or little difference was noted with respect to morbidity, mortality and diarrhoea characteristics when treated groups were compared with each other (p>0.05). Samples of diarrhoeic faeces from kids in the control group resulted in the isolation of K88 and K99 strains of Escherichia coli. It was concluded that, early oral administration of organic acids can be effective in the prevention of scours in neonatal kids, possibly caused by enterotoxigenic E. coli strains, and to a degree of protection similar to that seen with the used antibiotic schemes.
- Radostits, O. M., C. G. Gay, D. C. Blood and K. W. Hinchcliff. 1999. Diseases caused by bacteria. In: Veterinary Medicine: a textbook of the diseases of cattle, sheep, pigs, goats and horses. 9th ed, WB Saunders Co Ltd, London, pp. 753-822.
- Tsiloyiannis, V. K., S. C. Kyriakis, J. Vlemmas and K. Sarris. 1998a. The effect of organic acids on the control of postweaning oedema disease of piglets. Proc. 15th International Pig Veterinary Society Congress, Birmingham, England, 5-9 July 1998, p. 151.
- Van Metre, D. C., J. W. Tyler and S. M. Stehman. 2000. Diagnosis of enteric disease of small ruminants.In: Diagnosis of diseases of the digestive tract. Vet Clin N Am, Food Anim Pract 16:87-115.
- Navarre, C. B., E. B. Belkna and S. A. Rowe. 2000. Differentiation of gastrointestinal diseases of calves. In:Diagnosis of diseases of the digestive tract. Vet Clin N Am. Food Anim Pract. 16:37-57.
- Munoz, M., M. Alvarez, I. Lanza and P. Carmenes. 1996. Role of enteric pathogens in the aetiology of neonatal diarrhoea in lambs and goat kids in Spain. Epidemiol. Infect. 117:203-211. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0950268800001321
- Ravindran, V. and E. T. Korneguy. 1993. Acidification of weaner pig diets-A review. J. Sci. Food Agricult. 62:313-322. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740620402
- Smith, M. C. and D. M. Sherman. 1994. Goat medicine. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia. pp. 275-358.
- Cooper, V. L. 2000. Diagnosis of neonatal pig diarrhea. In:Diagnosis of diseases of the digestive tract. Veterinary Clinics of North America. Food Animal Practice 16:117-133.
- Thomlinson, J. R. and T. L. J. Lawrence. 1981. Dietary manipulation of gastric pH in the prophylaxis of enteric disease in weaned pigs: some field observations. Vet. Rec. 109, 120.
- Munoz, M., M. Alvarez, I. Lanza and P. Carmenes. 1995. An outbreak of diarrhoea associated with atypical rotaviruses in goat kids in Spain. Res. Vet. Sci. 59:180-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/0034-5288(95)90057-8
- Kyriakis, S. C., V. K. Tsiloyiannis, K. Sarris and J. Vlemmas. 1996a. The effect of Acid Lac Dry in the feed on the metaphylaxis of post-weaning diarrhoea syndrome of piglets. Proc. 14th International Pig Veterinary Society Congress, Bologna, Italy, 7-10 July 1996 p. 430.
- Kyriakis, S. C., V. K. Tsiloyiannis, K. Sarris and J. Vlemmas. 1996b. The effect of Acid Lac Dry in the feed on post-weaning oedema disease of piglets. Proc. 14th International Pig Veterinary Society Congress, Bologna, Italy, 7-10 July 1996, p. 437.
- Mendes, V. M., M. C. De Beer, G. H. Goosen and A. D. Steele. 1994. Isolation and preliminary characterization of a caprine rotavirus. Onderstepoort J. Vet. Res. 61:291-294.
- Merck Veterinary Manual. 1998b. Intestinal diseases in ruminants. 8th Ed. (Ed. S. E. Aiello). Published by Merck and Co Inc, Whitehouse Station, N.J., USA. National Publishing Inc, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 258-266.
- Gueguen, C., A. Maga, M. A. McCrae and G. Bataillon. 1996. Caprine and bovine B rotaviruses in western France: group identification by Northern hybridization. Vet. Res. 27:171-176.
- Tsiloyiannis, V. K., S. C. Kyriakis, J. Vlemmas and K. Sarris. 1998b. The effect of organic acids on the control of postweaning diarrhoea syndrome of piglets. Proc. 15th International Pig Veterinary Society Congress, Birmingham, England, 5-9 July 1998, p. 152.
- Fallon, R. J. and F. J. Harte. 1980. Effect of feeding acidified milk replacer on calf performance. Anim. Prod. 30:459.
- Legrottaglie, R., A. Volpe, V. Rizzi and P. Agrimi. 1993. Isolation and identification of rotaviruses as aetiological agents of neonatal diarrhoea in kids. Electrophoretical characterization by PAGE. New Microbiol. 16:227-235.
- Merck Veterinary Manual. 1998a. Intestinal diseases in pigs. 8th Ed. (Ed. S. E. Aiello). Published by Merck and Co Inc, Whitehouse Station, N.J., USA. National Publishing Inc, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. pp. 249-258.