- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Feeding Yeast Culture from Different Sources on the Performance of Lactating Holstein Cows in Saudi Arabia
- Alshaikh, M.A. ;
- Alsiadi, M.Y. ;
- Zahran, S.M. ;
- Mogawer, H.H. ;
- Aalshowime, T.A.
- Received : 2001.03.08
- Accepted : 2001.09.28
- Published : 2002.03.01
One hundred-fifty lactating, multiparous cow at post-peak of lactation were used to examine the effect of dietary yeast supplementation on milk production, milk composition and ruminal fermentation. The cows were randomly allocated to three groups of fifty cows each: a control group fed on a basal diet without yeast supplementation and two groups fed on basal diets supplemented with one of two commercial sources of yeast cultures, given at the rates of 15 g/head/d (
- AOAC, Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th ed., Washington. DC.
- Blauwiekel, R., K. A. Loney and E. Riley. 1995. Baker's yeast effluent as a liquid feed for dairy cows and heifers J. Dairy Sci. 78:397-403. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76648-6
- Harris, B., Jr. and D. W. Webb. 1990. The effect of feeding a concentrated yeast culture product to lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 73(Suppl. 1):266(Abstr.).
- Piva, G., S. Belladonna, G. Fisconi and F. Ssicbaldi. 1993. Effect of yeast on dairy cows performance, ruminal fermentation, blood components, and milk manufacturing properties. J. Dairy Sci. 76:2717-2722. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77608-0
- Robinson, P. H. 1997. Effect of yeast culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) on adaptation of cows to diets postpartum. J. Dairy Sci. 80:1119-1125. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76038-7
- Soder, K. J. and L. A. Holden. 1999. Dry matter intake and milk yield and composition of cows fed yeast prepartum and postpartum. J. Dairy Sci. 82:605-610. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75273-2
- Wallace, R. J. and C. J. Newbold. 1993. Rumen fermentation and its mainpulation: The development of yeast cultures as feed additives. In: Biotechnology in Feed Industry (Ed. T. P. Lyons). Alltech Technical publications Nicholasville, Kentucky. pp. 172-192.
- Williams, P. E. V. and Newbold. 1990. Rumen probiosis: The effects of novel microorganisms on rumen fermentation and ruminal productivity. In: Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition (Ed. W. Haresign and D. J. A. Cole). Butterworths. London, England.
- Case, R. A., A. L. Bradley, Jr. and R. R. Williams. 1985. Chemical and physical methods. In: Standard Method for the Examination of Dairy Products. (Ed. G. H. Richardson). Am. Publ. Health Assoc. 15th ed. Washington, DC. pp. 327-404.
- Williams, P. E. V., C. A. G. Tait, G. M. Innes and C. J. Newbold. 1991. Effects of the inclusion of yeast culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae plus growth medium) in the diet of dairy cows on milk yield and forage degradation and fermentation patterns in the rumen of steers. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3016-3026. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6973016x
- NRC. 1989. Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle- 6th rev. ed. Natl. Acad. Sci. Washington, DC.
- SAS Institute, Inc. 1995. SAS. For linear models: a guide to the ANOVA and GLM procedures. SAS. Inst. Inc., Cary, NC.
- Steckley, J. D., D. G. Grieve, G. K. Macleod and E. T. Moran. 1979. Brewer's yeast slurry. II. A source of supplementary protein for lactating dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 62:947-953. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(79)83353-6
- Erasmus, L. J., P. M. Botha and A. Kistner. 1992. Effect of yeast culture supplement on production, rumen fermentation and duodenal nitrogen flow in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 75:3056-3065. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)78069-2
- Adams, D. C., M. L. Galyean, H. E. Kiesling, J. D. Wallace and M. D. Finkner. 1981. Influence of viable yeast culture, sodium bicarbonate and monensin on liquid dilution rate, rumen fermentation and feedlot performance of growing steers and digestibility in lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 53:780-789. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.533780x
- Rameshwar Singh, L. C. Chaudhary, D. N. Kamra and N. N. Pathak. 1998. Effect of dietary supplementation with yeast cell suspension (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) on nutrient utilization and growth response in crossbred calves. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 11:268-271. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1998.268
- Dawson, K. A., K. A. Newman and J. A. Boling. 1990. Effect of microbial supplements containing yeast and lactobacilli on roughage-fed ruminal microbial activities. J. Anim. Sci. 68:3392-3398. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.68103392x
- Robinson, P. H. and J. E. Garrett. 1999. Effect of yeast culture (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae) on adaptation of cows to postpartum diets and on lactational performance. J. Anim. Sci. 77:988-999. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.774988x
- Van Soest, P. J., T. B. Robertson and B. A. lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Williams, P. E. V. 1989. The mode of action of yeast culture in ruminal diets: a review of the effect on rumen fermentation patterns. In: Biotechnology in the Feed Industry. Alltech Tech. Publ. Nicholasville, KY.
- Dann, H. M., J. K. Drackley, G. C. McCoy, M. F. Hutjens and J. E. Garrett. 2000. Effects of yeast culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) on prepartum intake and postpartum intake and milk production of Jersey cows. J. Dairy Sci. 83:123-127. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)74863-6
- Mir, Z. and P. S. Mir. 1994. Effect of the addition of live yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) on growth and carcass quality of steers fed high forage or high grain diets and on feed digestibility and in situ degradability. J. Anim. Sci. 71:537-545.
- Rouzbehan, Y., H. Galbraith, J. A. Rooke and j. G. Parrot. 1994. A note on the effects of dietary inclusion of yeast culture on growth and ruminal metabolism of lambs given diets containing unground pelleted molasses, dried sugarbeet pulp and barley in various proportions. Anim. Prod. 59:147-150. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100007601
- Panda, A. K., R. Singh and N. N. Pathak. 1995. The effect of dietary inclusion of yeast cell suspension on growth performance of crossbred calves. J. App. Anim. Res. 7:195-200. https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.1995.9706071
- Preparation of Glycerol-Enriched Yeast Culture and Its Effect on Blood Metabolites and Ruminal Fermentation in Goats vol.9, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0094410
- Effect of feeding yeast culture on ruminal fermentation and blood indicators of Holstein dairy cows vol.80, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.2754/avb201180020139
- The yeast culture Saccharomyces cerevisiae (Strain 47) as manipulator of rumen fermentation in postpartal period of dairy cows vol.53, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11118/actaun200553010027
- The use of yeast culture in feeding of dairy cows vol.58, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11118/actaun201058050075
- The effect of yeast culture addition on utility of calves vol.52, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11118/actaun200452050101
- Inclusion of live yeast and mannan-oligosaccharides in high grain-based diets for sheep: Ruminal parameters, inflammatory response and rumen morphology vol.13, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0193313
- The effects of Saccharomyces cerevisiae supplementation on intake, nutrient digestibility, and rumen fluid pH in Awassi female lambs vol.11, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14202/vetworld.2018.1015-1020
- A meta-analysis of the effects of feeding yeast culture produced by anaerobic fermentation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae on milk production of lactating dairy cows vol.95, pp.10, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5577