- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Genetic and Environmental Parameters of Carcass Traits in Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle) Populations
- Baik, D.H. (Department of Animal Resources and Biotechnology, College of Agriculture, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Hoque, M.A. (Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Bangladesh Agricultural University) ;
- Choe, H.S. (Department of Animal Resources and Biotechnology, College of Agriculture, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2002.03.26
- Accepted : 2002.07.31
- Published : 2002.11.01
Genetic parameters of carcass weight (CWT), dressing percent (DP), cook loss (CL), eye muscle area (EMA), back fat thickness (BFT), and meat tenderness in terms of mastication (MAS), shear force (SFR) and penetration (PEN) in Korean native cattle were estimated in this study. Effects of sire, location and their interaction on these traits were also evaluated. Sire effects were found to be significant on all the traits studied except for PEN. The CWT and DP were also significantly affected both by location (p<0.01) and by interaction effect between sire
- Arnold, J. W., J. K. Bertrand, L. L. Benyshek and C. Ludvig. 1991. Estimation of genetic parameters for live ultrasound, actual carcass data, and growth traits in beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 69: 985-992.
- Becker, W. A. 1985. Manual of quantitative genetics. 4th edition. Academic Enterprises, Pullman, Washington.
- Cundiff, L.V., E. K. Gregory, R. M. Koch and G. E. Dickerson. 1971. Genetic relationships among growth and carcass traits of beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 33:550-555.
- Gregory, K. E., L. V. Cundiff, R. M. Koch, M. E. Dikeman and M. Koohmaraie. 1994. Breed effects, retained heterosis, and estimates of genetic and phenotypic parameters for carcass and meat traits of beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1174-1183.
- Hoving-Bolink, A. H., W. J. A. Hanekamp and P. Walstra. 1999. Effect of sire breed and husbandry system on carcass, meat and eating quality of Piemontese and Limousin crossbred bulls and heifers. Livest. Prod. Sci. 57:273-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(98)00176-6
- Kenttamies, H. 1983. Genetic and environmental factors in beef production experiments in Finland. J. Scien. Agric. Society of Finland. 55:555-570.
- Koch, R. M., L. V. Cundiff and E. K. Gregory. 1982. Heritabilitied and genetic, environmental and phenotypic correlations of carcass traits in a population of diverse biological types and their implications in selection programs. J. Anim. Sci. 55:1319-1324.
- Lamb, M. A., O. W. Robinson and M. W. Tess. 1990. Genetic parameters for carcass traits in Hereford bulls. J. Anim. Sci. 68:64-69.
- Lee, J. W., S. B. Choi, J. S. Kim, J. F. Keown and L. D. Van Vleck. 2000. Parameter estimates for genetic effects on carcass traits of Korean native cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1181-1190.
- Parkkonen, P., A. E. Liinamo and M. Ojala. 2000. Estimates of genetic parameters for carcass traits in Finnish Ayrshire and Holstein-Friesian. Livest. Prod. Sci. 64:203-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(99)00144-X
- Robinson, D. L., M. Schneeberger, S. Sivaranjasingam, M. Ukkonen, S. A. Borwick, C. A. McDonald, B. Tier, K. Hammond and B. Sundstrom. 1990. Genetic evaluation for carcass traits in Australian beef cattle. In: Proc. Of 4th WCGPLP. Edinburgh, pp. 461-464.
- SAS. 1991. Statistical Analysis System. SAS Institute, SAS Inc. Cary, USA.
- Shin, O.Y. and Y. I. Park. 1990. Estimation of genetic parameters for body weights of Korean native cattle. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 32(6):315-317.
- Son, S. K., D. H. Baik, H. S. Choi and K. J. Han. 1997. Estimation of heretabilities for body weights and measurements of Korean native cows in Hanwoo breeding regions. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 39(6):653-660.
- Wheeler, T. L., L. V. Cundiff, R. M. Koch and J. D. Crouse. 1996. Carcass traits and longissimus palatability. J. Anim. Sci. 74: 1023-1035.
- Xie, Y. R., J. R. Busboom, C. T. Gaskins, K. A. Johnson, J. J. Reeves, R. W. Wright and J. D. Cronrath. 1996. Effect of breed and sire on carcass characteristics and fatty acid profiles of crossbred Wagyu and Angus steers. Meat Sci. 43:167-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(96)84588-8
- Genetic correlation between live body measurements and beef cutability traits in Hanwoo steers vol.30, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0692