- Volume 2 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The immune-enhancement effect by Falun Gong cultivation
- Jeong, Hyun-Ja (College of Pharmacy, Wonkwang University, and KI Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kang, Ji-Seok (Donggudaang Oriental Clinic) ;
- Kim, Hyung-Min (College of Pharmacy, Wonkwang University, and Ki Co., Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Ki-Nam (College of Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University)
- Published : 2002.08.30
Falun Gong (FG) is an advanced system of cultivation and practice, which is beneficial for both mind and body. In this study we investigated the effects of FG on the production of cytokines in FG practitioner (FGP). To study whether plasma cytokines levels were affected by FG, their levels were analyzed. The amount of
- Alenius H, Laouini D, Woodward A, Mizoguchi E, Bhan AK, Castigli E, Oettgen HC, Geha RS. (2002) Mast cells regulate IFN-gamma expression in the skin and circulating IgE levels in allergen-induced skin inflammation. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 109, 106-113. https://doi.org/10.1067/mai.2002.120553
- Brown MA, Hural J. (1997) Functions of IL-4 and control of its expression. Crit. Rev. Immunol. 17, 1-32. https://doi.org/10.1615/CritRevImmunol.v17.i1.10
- Carter LL, Dutton RW. (1996) Type 1 and type 2: a fundamental dichotomy for all T-cell subsets. Curr. Opin. Immunol. 8, 336-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0952-7915(96)80122-1
- Coker, K.H. (1999) Meditation and prostate cancer: integrating a mind/body intervention with traditional therapies. Semin. Urol. Oncol. 17, 111.
- Del Prete GF, De Carli M, Mastromauro C, Biagiotti R, Macchia D, Falagiani P, Ricci M, Romagnani S. (1991) Purified protein derivative of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and excretory-secretory antigen (s) of Toxocara canis expand in vitro human T cells with stable and opposite (type 1 T helper or type 2 T helper) profile of cytokine production. J. Clin. Invest. 88, 346-350. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI115300
- Jelinek DF, Lipsky PE. (1987) Regulation of human B lymphocyte activation, proliferation, and differentiation. Adv. Immunol. 40, 1-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2776(08)60237-0
- Jeong HJ, Kim BS, Kim KS, Kim HM. (2002) Regulatory effect of cytokine production in asthma patients by SOOJI CHIM (Koryo Hand Acupuncture Therapy). Immunopharmacol. Immunotoxicol. 24, 265-274. https://doi.org/10.1081/IPH-120003759
- Jones, B.M. (2001) Changes in cytokine production in healthy subjects practicing Guolin Qigong : a pilot study. BMC. Complement Altern. Med. 1, 8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-1-8
- Kim HM, Shin HY, Jeong HJ, An HJ, Kim NS, Chae HJ, Kim HR, Song HJ, Kim KY, Baek SH, Cho KH, Moon BS, Lee YM. (2000) Reduced IL-2 but elevated IL-4, IL-6, and IgE serum levels in patients with cerebral infarction during the acute stage. J. Mo.l Neurosci. 14, 191-196. https://doi.org/10.1385/JMN:14:3:191
- Kuziel WA, Greene WC. (1991) Interleukin-2. In: The cytokine handbook edited by Thomsen A, p. 83-102, Academic Press, London.
- Li Hongzhi. (1994) Zhuan Falun The complete teaching of Falun Gong. Fair Winds Press, Gloucester, Massachusetts.
- Minami Y, Kono T, Yamada K, Taniguchi T. (1992) The interleukin-2 receptors: insights into a complex signalling mechanism. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 16, 163-177.
- Morgan DA, Ruscetti FW, Gallo R. (1976) Selective in vitro growth of T lymphocytes from normal human bone marrows. Science 193, 1007-1008. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.181845
- Mosmann TR, Coffman RL. (1989) TH1 and TH2 cells: different patterns of lymphokine secretion lead to different functional properties. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 7, 145-173. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.iy.07.040189.001045
- Parronchi P, Macchia D, Piccinni MP, Biswas P, Simonelli C, Maggi E, Ricci M, Ansari AA, Romagnani S. (1991) Allergen- and bacterial antigen-specific T-cell clones established from atopic donors show a different profile of cytokine production. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 88, 4538-4542. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.88.10.4538
- Peleman R, Wu J, Fargeas C, Delespesse G. (1989) Recombinant interleukin 4 suppresses the production of interferon gamma by human mononuclear cells. J. Exp. Med. 170, 1751-1756. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.170.5.1751
- Riddell SR, Murata M, Bryant S, Warren EH. (2002) T-cell therapy of leukemia. Cancer Control 9, 114-122. https://doi.org/10.1177/107327480200900204
- Romagnani S. (1991) Human TH1 and TH2 subsets: doubt no more. Immunol. Today 12, 256-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-5699(91)90120-I
- Samuel CE. (2001) Antiviral actions of interferons. Clin. Microbio.l Rev. 14(4), 778. https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.14.4.778-809.2001
- Shang C. (2001) Emerging paradigms in mind-body medicine. J. Altern. Complement Med. 7, 83.
- Shinkai S, Kohno H, Kimura K, Komura T, Asai H, Inai R, Oka K, Kurokawa Y, Shephard R. (1995) Physical activity and immune senescence in men. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 27, 1516-1526.
- Vercelli D, Jabara HH, Lauener RP, Geha RS. (1990) IL-4 inhibits the synthesis of IFN-gamma and induces the synthesis of IgE in human mixed lymphocyte cultures. J. Immunol. 144, 570-573.
- Zurawski G, de Vries JE. (1994) Interleukin 13, an interleukin 4-like cytokine that acts on monocytes and B cells, but not on T cells. Immunol. Today 15, 19-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-5699(94)90021-3
- Assessment of Cardiovascular Parameters during Meditation with Mental Targeting in Varsity Swimmers vol.2016, pp.1741-4288, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/7923234