- Volume 1 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Confinement evaluation of concrete-filled box-shaped steel columns
- Susantha, K.A.S. (Department of Civil Engineering, Nagoya University) ;
- Ge, Hanbin (Department of Civil Engineering, Nagoya University) ;
- Usami, Tsutomu (Department of Civil Engineering, Nagoya University)
- Published : 2001.09.25
This paper presents a three-dimensional finite element analysis methodology for a quantitative evaluation of confinement in concrete-filled box-shaped unstiffened steel columns. The confinement effects of concrete in non-circular sections can be assessed in terms of maximum average lateral pressure. A brief review of a previous method adopted for the same purpose is also presented. The previous method is based on a two-dimensional finite element analysis method involving a concrete-steel interaction model. In both the present and previous methods, average lateral pressure on concrete is computed by means of the interaction forces present at the concrete-steel interface. Subsequently, the strength enhancement of confined concrete is empirically related to the maximum average lateral pressure. The results of the former and latter methods are then compared. It is found that the results of both methods are compatible in terms of confined concrete strengths, although the interaction model yields a somewhat overestimated estimation of confinement than those of the present method when relatively high strength concrete is used. Furthermore, the confinement in rectangular-shaped sections is investigated and the reliability of previously adopted simplifications in such cases is discussed.
concrete-filled tubes;box-shaped CFT columns;confinement;confined concrete;concretesteel interface:composite action
- Sugupta, D.P.G. and Mendis, P.A. (1995), "Design of high-strength-concrete-filled tube column", Proc of the Fifth East-Asia-Pacific Conf. on Struct Eng. Const., Griffith University, Australia, 427-432.
- Susantha, K.A.S., Ge, H.B. and Usami, T. (2001), "Uniaxial stress-strain relationship of concrete confined by various shaped steel tubes", Eng. Struct., 23(10), 1331-1347. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00020-7
- Tang, J., Hino, S., Kuroda, I. and Ohta, T. (1996), "Modeling of stress-strain relationships for steel and concrete in concrete filled circular steel tubular columns", Steel Construction Engineering, JSSC, 3(11), 35-46 (in Japanese).
- Tomii, M., Yoshimura, K. and Morishita, Y. (1977), "Experimental studies on concrete filled steel tubular stub columns under concentric loading", Int. Colloquium on Stability of Structures under Static and Dynamic Loads, Washington, DC, 718-741.
- Tomii, M. and Sakino, K. (1979a), "elasto-plastic behaviour of concrete filled square steel tubular beam-columns", Transaction of Architectural Institute of Japan, 280, 111-120. https://doi.org/10.3130/aijsaxx.280.0_111
- Tomii, M. and Sakino, K. (1979b), "Experimental studies on the ultimate moment of concrete filled square steel tubular beam-columns", Transaction of Architectural Institute of Japan, No. 275, 55-63.
- Tomii, M., Sakino, K. and Xiao, Y. (1988), "Triaxial compressive behaviour of concrete confined in circular steel tube", Transaction of the Japan Concrete Institute, No. 280, 369-376.
- Usami, T. and Ge, H.B. (1998), "Cyclic behaviour of thin-walled steel structures-Numerical analysis", Thin Walled Structures, 32(1/3), 41-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(98)00027-5
- Watanabe, H., Sakimoto, T., Senba, K. and Onishi, S. (1997), "A simplified analysis for the ultimate strength and behaviour of concrete-filled steel tubular structures", Proceeding of the Fifth International Colloquium on Stability and Ductility of Steel Structures, Japan, 893-900.
- Assa, B, Nishiyama, M. and Watanabe, F. (2001), "New approach for modeling confined concrete. II: Rectangular columns", J. Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 127(7), 751-757. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:7(751)
- ABAQUS/Standards User's and Theory Manuals (1998), Hibbitt, Karlsson, and Sorensen, Inc., U.S.A.
- Baba, T., Inai, E., Kai, M., Noguchi, T. and Mukai, A. (1995), "Structural behaviour of concrete filled steel tubular columns under axial compressive load, Part 2, Test Results on Rectangular Columns", In: Abstracts of the Annual Convention of the Architectural Institute of Japan, 737-738 (in Japanese).
- Brauns, J. (1999), "Analysis of stress state in concrete-filled steel columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 49, 189-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(98)00217-X
- El-Tawil, S. and Deierlein, G.G. (1999), "Strength and ductility of concrete encased composite columns", J. Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 125(9), 1009-1019. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:9(1009)
- Gardner, N.J. and Jacobson, E.R. (1967), "Structural behavior of concrete filled steel tubes." ACI Journal, No. 64-38, 404-413.
- Ge, H.B. and Usami, T. (1992), "Strength of concrete-filled thin-walled steel box columns :Experiment", J. Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 118(11), 3036-3054. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1992)118:11(3036)
- Ge, H.B. and Usami, T. (1994), "Strength analysis of concrete filled thin-walled steel box columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 30, 259-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(94)90003-5
- Han, L.H., Zhao, X.L. and Tao, Z. (2001), "Tests and mechanics model for concrete-filled SHS stub columns, columns and beam-columns", Steel and Composite Structures, 1(1), 51-74. https://doi.org/10.1296/SCS2001.01.01.04
- Kent, D.C. and Park, R. (1971), "Flexural members with confined concrete", J. of Struct. Div., American Society of Civil Engineers, ASCE, 97, No. ST7, 1969-1989.
- Kvedaras, A.K. and Sapalas, A. (1999), "Research and practice of concrete-filled steel tubes in Lithuania", J. Constr. Steel Res., 49, 197-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(98)00218-1
- Nishiyama, M., Assa, B.B. and Watanabe, F. (1997), "Prediction of stress-strain curve for confined concrete based on transverse steel-concrete interaction", Proceedings of the Japan Concrete Institute, 19(2), 543-548.
- Schneider, S.P. (1998), "Axially loaded concrete-filled steel tubes", J. Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 124(10), 1125-1138. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:10(1125)
- Numerical analysis of concrete-filled circular steel tubes vol.166, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.11.00001
- Numerical simulation of mega steel reinforced concrete columns with different steel sections vol.26, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1304
- Finite Element Analysis on Mechanical Performance of Middle Long CFST Column with Inner I-Shaped CFRP Profile under Axial Loading vol.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.istruc.2016.09.007
- Analytical behavior of circular concrete-filled thin-walled steel tubes subjected to bending vol.47, pp.3, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2008.07.004
- Analytical modeling of bending of circular concrete-filled steel tubes vol.42, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.04.028
- Finite Element Analysis on Concrete-Filled Square Steel Tube Short Columns with Inner CFRP Profiles under Axial Compression vol.578-579, pp.1662-7482, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.578-579.335
- Seismic Damage Investigation of Spatial Frames with Steel Beams Connected to L-Shaped Concrete-Filled Steel Tubular (CFST) Columns vol.8, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/app8101713
- Study on the Eccentric Compression Performance of Stiffened Rectangular CFST vol.218, pp.1755-1315, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/218/1/012049
- Experimental Study on the Hysteresis Performance ofStiffened Square CFST vol.218, pp.1755-1315, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/218/1/012050
- Study on the Eccentric Compression Performance of Stiffened Square CFST vol.218, pp.1755-1315, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/218/1/012051