- Volume 1 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Seismic assessment of steel structures through a cumulative damage
- Perera, R. (Department of Structural Mechanics, Technical University of Madrid (UPM)) ;
- Gomez, S. (Department of Structural Mechanics, Technical University of Madrid (UPM)) ;
- Alarcon, E. (Department of Structural Mechanics, Technical University of Madrid (UPM))
- Published : 2001.09.25
In the present work a constitutive model is developed which permits the assessment of the structural performance through a criterion based on cumulative damage. For it, a damage index is defined and is evaluated through the application of the Miner's rule in low-cycle fatigue. However, the damage index is not considered as a posteriori variable since is incorporated explicitly as an internal variable in the constitutive equations which produces a direct coupling between the damage and the structural mechanical behaviour allowing the possibility of considering as a whole different coupled phenomena. For the elaboration of this damage model, the concepts of the mechanics of continuum medium are applied on lumped dissipative models in order to obtain a coupled simplified model. As a result an elastoplastic model coupled with damage and fatigue damage is obtained.
continuum damage mechanics;low cycle fatigue;steel structures;seismic design;simplified model
- Lemaitre, J. and Chaboche, J. (1985), Mecanique des materiaux solides.,Dunod, Paris
- Lemaitre, J. (1996), A Course on Damage Mechanics., Springer-Verlag, Berlin
- Manson, S.S. (1953), "Behavior of materials under conditions of thermal stress", Heat Transfer Symposium, University of Michigan Engineering research Institute, Ann Harbor, Michigan, 9-75.
- Miner, M.A. (1945), "Cumulative damage in fatigue", J. Appl. Mech. 12, A-159.
- Ortiz, M. (1985), "A constitutive theory for the inelastic behavior of concrete", Mech. Mater., 4, 67-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6636(85)90007-9
- Palmgren, A. (1924), "Die lebensdauer von kugellagern", Verfahrentechinik, Berlin, 68, 339-341.
- Perera, R., Carnicero, A., Alarcon, E. and Gomez, S. (1998), "A damage model for seismic retrofitting of structures", Advances in Civil and Structural Engineering, CIVIL-COMP Press, 309-315.
- Rabotnov, Yu N. (1968), "A model of an elastic-plastic medium with delayed yielding", Zh. Prikl. Mekh. y Tekhn. Fiz., 3, 45-51.
- Ballio, G. & Castiglioni, C. (1994), "An approach to the seismic design of steel structures based on cumulative damage criteria", Earthq. Eng. And Struct. Dyn., 23, 969-986. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290230904
- Carnicero, A., Perera, R., Alarcon, E. (1998), "A simplified model for evaluation of fatigue damage in frames", Proc. Eleventh European Conf. on Earthquake Eng., Paris.
- Chaboche, J. (1985), "Continuum damage mechanics and its application to structural lifetime prediction", Rech. Aerosp., 4, 37-53.
- Cipollina, A., Lopez-Hinojosa, A., Florez-Lopez, J. (1995), "A simplified damage mechanics approach to nonlinear analysis of frames", Comput. & Struct., 54, 1113-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(94)00394-I
- Cohn, M.Z., Franchi, A. (1979), "Structural plasticity computer system STRUPL", J. Struct. Div., 105, 789-804.
- Florez-Lopez, J. (1995), "Simplified model of unilateral damage for RC frames", J. Struc. Eng., 121(12), 1765-1772. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:12(1765)
- Ju, J.W. (1989), "On energy-based coupled elastoplastic damage theories: constitutive modeling and computational aspects", Int. J. Solids Structures., 25(7), 803-833. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(89)90015-2
- Koh, S.K. and Stephen, R.I. (1991), "Mean stress effects on low cycle fatigue for high strength steel", Fatigue Fract. Engng. Mater., 14, 413-428. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2695.1991.tb00672.x
- Krawinkler, H. and Zohrei, H. (1983), "Cumulative damage in steel structures subjected to earthquake ground motions", Computers & Structures, 16, 531-541. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(83)90193-1
- Kunnath, S.K., El-Bahy, A., Taylor, A. and Stone, W. (1997), "Cumulative seismic damage of reinforced concrete bridge piers", Technical Report NCEER-97-0006. National Center for Earthquake Engineeing Research. State University of New York at Buffalo.