- Volume 1 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Cyclic behaviour of beam-to-column welded connections
- Mele, Elena (Dipartimento di Analisi e Progettazione Strutturale (DAPS), Universita di Napoli "Federico II") ;
- Calado, Luis (Departamento de Engenharia Civil (DECivil), Instituto Superior Tecnico) ;
- De Luca, Antonello (Dipartimento di Analisi e Progettazione Strutturale (DAPS), Universita di Napoli "Federico II")
- Published : 2001.09.25
In this paper the results of an experimental program devoted to the assessment of the cyclic behaviour of full scale, European type, beam-column subassemblages with welded connections are presented. Six tests (five cyclic and one monotonic) have been carried out on three different series of specimens, encompassing a total of eighteen tests. The three specimen series have been designed with the aim of defining the effect of the column size on the connection behaviour, under different applied loading histories. The tests have evidenced the effect of the column size and panel zone design and of the applied loading history on the cyclic behaviour and failure modes of the connections.
welded connections;cyclic tests;loading histories;rotation capacity;panel zone;failure modes
- Plumier A., Agatino, R., Castellani, A., Castiglioni, C.A. and Chesi, C. (1998), "Resistance of steel connections to low-cycle fatigue", Proc.11th ECEE, European Conf. Earthq. Eng., Paris, France, Balkema.
- Roeder C.W., Foutch D.A. (1996), "Experimental results for seismic resistant steel moment frame connections", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 122(66), 581-588. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:6(581)
- Tanaka A., Kato, B., Kaneko, H., Sakamoto, S., Takahashi, Y. and Teraoka, M. (1997), "Seismic damage of steel beam-to-column connections evaluation from statical aspects". Proc. STESSA 97, 2nd Int. Conf. on Steel Structures in Seismic Areas, Kyoto, Japan, August, 856-865.
- Taucer F., Negro P. and Colombo A. (1998), "Cyclic testing of the steel frame", JRC ELSA Spec. Publ. No. I.98.160, December.
- Tsai, K.C. and Popov, E.P. (1995), "Seismic steel beam-column moment connections", In: Metallurgy, Fracture Mechanics, Welding, Moment Connections and Frame Systems Behavior. Rep. SAC/BD-95/09, SAC Joint Venture, Sacramento, Cal.
- Usami, T., Kaneko, H., Kimura, M., Une, H. and Kushibe, A. (1997), "Real scale model tests on flange fracture behaviour of beam adjacent to beam-to-column joint and the seismic resistance after repairing and strengthening", Proc. STESSA 97, 2nd Int. Conf. on Steel Structures in Seismic Areas, Kyoto, Japan, August, 955-962.
- Bertero V.V., Anderson J.C. and Krawinkler H. (1994), "Performance of steel building structures during the Northridge earthquake", Earthq. Eng. Res. Center, Rep.UCB/EERC-94/09, University of California, Berkeley.
- Calado, L., Mele, E., and De Luca, A. (1999), "Experimental investigation on the cyclic behaviour of welded beam-to-column connections", Proc. Eurosteel, 2nd European Conf. on Steel Structures, PRAHA, Czech Republic, Paper No. 215.
- Calado, L. and Mele, E. (2000), "Cyclic tests on bolted and welded beam-to-column connections", ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology, Special Issue on Experimental Techniques (in press).
- Castiglioni, C.A., Bernuzzi, C. and Calado, L. "Cyclic behaviour of steel beam-to-column joints with concrete slab", Proc. STESSA 2000, 3rd Int. Conf. on Steel Structures in Seismic Areas, Montreal, Canada, August, A.A. Balkema, 147-154.
- CEN TC250 (1992), ENV1993: Eurocode 3: Design of Steel Structures.
- De Luca, A. and Mele, E. (1997), "Behaviour of steel structures in seismic zones: design aspects and research developments", Proc. of 1st ENCMM Portugal National Meeting on Steel and Composite Construction, Porto, Portugal, November, 589-618.
- ECCS (1986), "Seismic Design. Recommended testing procedure for assessing the behaviour of structural steel elements under cyclic loads", Tech. Comm. 1 - Structural Safety and Loadings, TWG1. 3 Rep. No. 45.
- El-Tawil, S., Vidarsson, E., Mikesell, T. and Kunnath, S. K. (1999), "Inelastic behaviour and design of steel panel zones", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 125(2), 183-193. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:2(183)
- Lu, L.W., Ricles, J.M., Mao, C. and Fisher, J.W. (2000), "Critical issues in achieving ductile behaviour of welded moment connections", J. of Constr. Steel Res. 55, 325-341. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(99)00092-9
- Mahin S.A., Hamburger R.O. and Malley J.O. (1996), "An integrated program to improve the performance of welded steel frame buildings", Proc. 11th WCEE, World Conf. Earthq. Eng., Elsevier Science Ltd., Paper No. 1114.
- Malley J.O. (1998), "SAC Steel Project: summary of Phase-1 testing investigation results", Eng. Structs, 20(4-6), 300-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00033-3
- Mele E., Calado L. and Pucinotti R. (1997), "Indagine sperimentale sul comportamento ciclico di alcuni collegamenti in acciaio", (in Italian) Proc. 8th National Conf. Earthq. Eng. ANIDIS, Taormina, Italy, September, 1031-1040.
- Nakashima M., Suita K., Morisako K. and Maruoka Y. (1998), "Tests on welded beam-column subassemblies. I: global behaviour. II detailed behaviour", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 124(11), 1236-1252. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:11(1236)
- Hysteretic behaviour of dissipative bolted fuses for earthquake resistant steel frames vol.85, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.02.016
- Hysteretic behavior of dissipative welded fuses for earthquake resistant composite steel and concrete frames vol.14, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.14.6.547
- Experimental and numerical analysis of beam to column joints in steel structures vol.12, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-017-0457-z