- Volume 4 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Pressure equalization of rainscreen facades: Analysis of the field data in the frequency domain
- Kumar, K. Suresh (RWDI Inc.) ;
- Wisse, J.A. (Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning, FAGO, Technical University of Eindhoven (TUE))
- Published : 2001.04.25
This paper reports the field measurements concerning pressure equalization of rainscreen facades carried out at the Technical University of Eindhoven (TUE) in the Netherlands. The field facility including the details of test panel, meteorological tower, instrumentation, data collection and analysis is presented. Results of investigations into cavity response for various leakage and venting configurations are discussed. Frequency domain techniques have been utilized to show the influence of wind as well as facade characteristics on the pressure equalization performance. Further, this paper presents an early attempt to synthesize the experimental results into existing building codes.
- Anderson, J.M. and Gill, J.R. (1988), Rainscreen cladding: A guide to design principles and practice, Butterworths, London.
- Ganguli, U. and Dalgliesh, W.A. (1988), "Wind pressures on open rain screen walls: Place Air Canada", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 114(3), 642-656. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:3(642)
- Inculet, D.R. (1990), "Pressure-equalization of rainscreen cladding", M.E.Sc. Thesis, The University of Western Ontario, Canada.
- NEN 6702 (1991), Loadings and deformations TGB 1990, Technische grondslagen voor bouwconstructies, Nedelands Normalisatie-instituut, the Netherlands.
- Straube, J.F. (1998), "Moisture control and enclosure wall systems", Ph.D. Thesis, Civil Engineering Department, University of Waterloo, Canada.
- Suresh Kumar, K. (1998a), "Pressure equalized rainscreen approach to wall design: Past accomplishments and future challenges", Technical Report: FAGO 98.25.K, Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning, Technical University of Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- Suresh Kumar, K. (1998b), "Pressure equalization performance of rainscreen walls: Experimental investigations", Proc. 2nd East European Conf. Wind Eng., Prague, Czech Republic.
- Suresh Kumar, K. (1999), A Study on Pressure Equalization of Rainscreen Facades: Full-scale Experiments and Computer Simulations, Technical Report, FAGO 99.40.K, Facultiet Bouwkunde, Technical University of Eindhoven, Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
- Suresh Kumar, K. (2000), "Pressure equalization of rainscreen walls: A critical review", Bldg. Envir., 35(2), 161-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-1323(99)00015-3
- Suresh Kumar, K. and van Schijndel, A.W.M. (1999), "Prediction of pressure equalization performance of rainscreen walls", Wind and Structures, 2(4), 325-345. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.1918.104.22.1685
- Suresh Kumar, K. and Wisse, J.A. (1999), "A full-scale study on pressure equalization of rainscreen facades", Proc. 10th Int. Conf. Wind Eng., Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Geurts, C.P.W. (1997), "Wind-induced pressure fluctuations on building facades", Ph.D. Thesis, Faculteit Bouwkunde, Technical University of Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- Suresh Kumar, K. and van Schijndel, A.W.M. (1998), "Cavity pressure dynamics of rainscreen walls", Proc. 4th UK Conf. Wind Eng., Bristol, UK.
- Mechanics and test study of flexible membranes ballooning in three dimensions vol.43, pp.11, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2007.11.002
- Large deformation and mechanics of flexible isotropic membrane ballooning in three dimensions by differential quadrature method vol.23, pp.11, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-009-0722-8
- Field measurement data of wind loads on rainscreen walls vol.91, pp.11, 2003, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2003.07.001
- Effect of membrane ballooning on screen pressure equalization: A short literature review vol.37, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1177/1744259113500234