- Volume 5 Issue 6
Design of Unbend Braces to Satisfy Given Performance Acceptance Criteria
성능수준 만족을 위한 가새헝 소성 감쇠기의 설계
- 김진구 (성균관대학교 건축공학과) ;
- 김유경 (성균관대학교 건축공학과) ;
- 최현훈 (성균관대학교 건축공학과)
- Published : 2001.12.01
Unbond brace hysteretic dampers are generally used to prevent or decrease structural damage in building structures subjected to strong earthquake by its energy dissipating hysteretic behavior. In the study, a straightforward design procedure for unbond brace hysteretic dampers was developed. The required amount of equivalent damping to satisfy given performance acceptance criteria was obtained conveniently based on the capacity spectrum method without carrying out time-consuming nonlinear dynamic time history analysis. Then the size of the unbond braces is determined from the required equivalent damping. Parametric study has been performed for the design variables such as natural period, yield strength, the stiffness after the first yield stress of the unbond brace. The procedure was applied to 5-story and 10-story steel frames for verification of the proposed method. According to the earthquake time history analysis results, the maximum displacement of the model structure with unbond braces supplied in accordance with the proposed method corresponds well with the given target displacement.
unbond brace;capacity spectrum method;performance-based seismic design
- FEMA-273 NEHRP guidelines for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings FEMA
- DRAIND2D+, A general purpose computer program for static and dynamic analysis of inelastic 2D structures supplemented with a graphic processor Report No.CEER/R86-07 Tsai, K. C.;Li, J. W.
- A Program for Artificial Motion Generation;User's Manual and Documentation Vanmarcke, E. H.;Gasparini, D. A.
- Proceedings of the 1999 Annual Meetings, Los Angles Tall Buildings Structural Design Council Evaluation of simplified design approaches for structures with yielding steel braces for energy dissipation Clark, P.;Kasai, K.;Aiken, I.;Kimura, I.
- Dynamics of Structures Chopra, A. K.
- MIDAS-GEN v.I-IV POSCO Engineering & Construction Co.,Ltd.
- ATC-40 Seismic evaluation and retrofit of concrete buildings ATC