- Volume 13 Issue 2
Evaluation on Seismic Performance of Limited Ductile RC Bridge Piers by Pseudo-Dynamic Test
- Chung, Young-Soo (Department of Civil Engineering, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Park, Jong-Heob (Department of Civil Engineering, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Cho, Chang-Beck (Korea Institute of Construction Technology) ;
- Seo, Joo-Won (Hyundai Construction Technology Institute)
- Published : 2001.07.01
Pseudo dynamic test for seven circular RC bridge piers has been carried out to investigate their seismic performance subjected to expected artificial earthquake motions. The objective of this experimental study is to investigate the hysteretic behavior of reinforced concrete bridge piers, which have been widely used for railway and urban transportation facilities. Important test parameters are confinement steel ratio, and input ground motion. The seismic behavior of circular RC bridge piers under artificial ground motions has been evaluated through displacement ductility, cumulative energy input, and dissipation capacity. It can be concluded that RC bridge piers designed in a limited ductile behavior provision of Eurocode 8 have been determined to show good seismic performance even under moderate artificial earthquakes.
- Korea Highway Bridge Design Specification Ministry of Construction and Transportation
- Draft Report Euroocde 8 - Structures in Seismic Regions Design (Part 2-Bridg- es) Commission of the European Communities
- Report No. UCB/EERC v.87 no.09 Hybrid Solution Techniques for Generalized Pseudo-Dynamic Testing Thewalt, Christopher, R.;Mahin, Stephen A.
- Technical Report NCEER v.88 no.0044 Sarcf User's Guide Seismic Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Frame Chung, Y.S.;Shinozuka, M.;Meyer, C.
- Technical Report NCEER v.96 no.0003 Ductility of Rectangular Reinforced Concrete Bridge Columns with Moderate Confinement Wehbe, N.;Saiidi, M.;Sanders, D.;Douglas, B.
- Structural Engineering Mechanics v.8 no.4 Earthquake Ductility and Overstrength in Residential Structures Gad, E.F.;Chandler, A.M.