- Volume 24 Issue 4
Inhibition of Invasion and Induction of Apoptosis by Curcumin in H-ras-Transformed MCF10A Human Breast Epithelial Cells
- Kim, Mi-Sung (College of Pharmacy, Duksung Wonman′s University) ;
- Kang, Hye-Jung (College of Pharmacy, Duksung Wonman′s University) ;
- Moon, Aree (College of Pharmacy, Duksung Wonman′s University)
- Published : 2001.08.01
Curcumin, a dietary pigment in turmeric, posseses anti-carcinogenic and anti-metastatic properties. The present study was conducted to study in vitro chemopreventive effects of curcumin in transformed breast cells. Here, we show that curcumin inhibits H-ras-induced invasive phenotype in MCF10A human breast epithelial cells (H-ras MCF10A) and downregulates matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-2 dose-dependently. Curcumin exerted cytotoxic effect on H-ras MCF10A cells in a concentration-dependent manner. Curcumin-induced cell death was mainly due to apoptosis in which a prominent downregulation of Bcl-2 and upregulation of Bax were involved. We also suggest a possible involvement of caspase-3 in curcumin-induced apoptosis. Curcumin treatment resulted in the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in H-ras MCF10A cells. Apoptotic event by curcumin was significantly inhibited by pretreatment of an antioxidant N-acetyl-
- J. Cell. Biochem. v.64 Mammalian cell death protease: a family of highly conserved aspartate specific cytosine proteases Alnemri,E.S.
- FEBS Lett. v.499 Differential regulation of apoptosis in AK-5 tumor cells by the proto-oncogene Bcl-2: presence of Bcl-2 dependent and independent pathways Anjum,R.;Khar,A.
- J. Immunol. v.130 no.4 Flow cytometric studies of oxidative product formation by neutrophils: a graded response to membrane stimulation Bass,D.A.;Parce,J.W.;Dechatelet,L.R.;Szejda,P.;Seeds,M.C.;Thomas,M.
- J. Biol. Chem. v.272 no.1 Epidermal growth factor (EGF)-induced generation of hydrogen peroxide. Role in EGF receptor-mediated tyrosine phosphorylation Bae,Y.S.;Kang,S.W.;Seo.M.S.;Baines,I.C.;Tekle,E.;Chock,P.B.;Rhee,S.G.
- Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. v.91 Direct evidence linking expression of matrix metalloproteinase 9 (92-kDa gelatinase/collagenase) to the metastatic phenotype in transformed rat embryo cells Bernhard,E.J.;Gruber,S.B.;Muschel,R.J.
- FEBS Lett. v.456 Curcumin mediated apoptosis in AK-5 tumor cells involves the production of reactive oxygen intermediates Bhaumik,S.;Anjum,R.;Rangaraj,N.;Pardhasaradhi,B.V.;Khar,A.
- Mutat. Res. v.428 Anti-tumor promoting potential of naturally occurring diarylheptanoids structurally related to curcumin Chun,K.S.;Shon,Y.;Kim,H.S.;Kim,O.H.;Park,K.K.;Lee,J.M.;Lee,J.;Lee,J.Y.;Moon,A.;Lee,S.S.;Surh,Y.J.
- Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. v.22 Cholinergic neuron-specific overexpression of Bax in ChAT Bax transgenic mice Cooper,J.D.;Michaelidis,T.M.;Tzimagiorgis,G.Z.;Sendtner,M.;Meyer,M.;Thoenen,H.
- Prostate v.47 Therapeutic potential of curcumin in human prostate cancer.III. Curcumin inhibits proliferation, induces apoptosis, and inhibits angiogenesis of LNCaP prostate cancer cells in vivo Dorai,T.;Cao,Y.C.;Dorai,B.;Buttyan,R.;Katz,A.E.
- Mut. Res. v.307 Antimutagens as cancer chemopreventive agents in the diet Ferguson,L.R.
- Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. v.246 Zinc suppresses apoptosis of U937 cells induced by hydrogen peroxide through an increase of the Bcl-2/Bax ratio Fukamachi,Y.;Karasaki,Y.;Sugiura,T.;Itoh,H.;Abe,T.;Yamamura,K.;Higashi,K.
- Cancer Res. v.51 Inhibitory effects of curcumin on in vitro lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase activities in mouse epidermis Huang,M.T.;Lysz,T.;Ferraro,T.;Abidi,T.F.;Laskin,J.D.;Conney,A.H.
- Biochem. Biophys. Acta. v.1224 Role of capsaicin, curcumin and dietary n-3 fatty acids in lowering the generation of reacitive oxygen species in rat peritoneal macrophages Joe,B.;Lokesh,B.R.
- Cancer Lett. v.165 Capsaicin induced apoptosis in SK-Hep-1 hepatocarcinoma cells involves Bcl-2 downregulation and caspase-3 activation Jung,M.Y.;Kang,H.J.;Moon,A.
- Eur. J. Cancer Chemopreventive allythiopyridazine derivatives induce apoptosis in SK-Hep-1 hepatocarcinoma cells through a caspase-3-dependent mechanism Jung,M.Y.;Kwon,S.K.;Moon,A.
- Cancer Lett. v.157 Apicidin, an inhibitor of histone deacetylase, prevents H-ras-induced invasive phenotype Kim,M.S.;Son,M.W.;Kim,W.B.;Park,Y.I.;Moon,A.
- J. Kor. Assoc. Cancer Prevention v.4 Curcumin inhibits invasive phenotype of H-ras transformed human breast epithelial cells and suppresses matrix metallo-proteinase-2 activity Kim,M.S.;Moon,A.
- J. Toxicol. Pub. Health v.14 Roles of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 on the H-ras-induced invasive phenotype in human breast epithelial cells and human fibrosarcoma cells Kim,M.S.;Won,J.H.;Moon,A.
- Oncogene v.16 Overexpression of Bax gene sensitizes K562 erythroleukemia cells to apoptosis induced by seletive chemotherapeutic agents Kobayashi,T.;Ruan,S.;Clodi,K.;Kliche,K.O.;Shiku,H.;Andreeff,M.;Zhang,W.
- Arch. Pharm. Res. v.23 Signal transduction events elicited by natural products: role of MAPK and caspase pathways in homeostatic response and induction of apoptosis Kong,A.N.;Yu,R.;Chen,C.;Mandlekar,S.;Primiano,T.
- Oncology v.55 Curcumin inhibits SK-Hep-1 hepatocellular carcinoma cell invasion in vitro and suppresses matrix metallo-proteinse-9 secretion Lin,L.I.;Ke,Y.F.;Ko,Y.C.;Lin,J.K.
- Cancer Lett. v.141 Anti-metastatic activity of curcumin and catechin Menon,L.G.;Kuttan,R.;Kuttan,G.
- Anticancer Drugs v.8 Antiproliferative effect of curcumin (diferuloylmethane) against human breast tumor cell lines Mehta,K.;Pantazis,P.;McQueen,T.;Aggarwal,B.B.
- Int. J. Cancer v.85 H-ras, but not N-ras, induces an invasive phenotype in human breast epithelial cells: A role for MMP-2 in the H-ras induced invasive phenotype Moon,A.;Kim,M.S.;Kim,T.G.;Kim,S.H.;Kim,H.E.;Chen,Y.Q.;Kim,H.R.C.
- J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. v.29 Expression of type IV collagenase genes and ras oncogene in various human tumor cell lines Moon,A.;Park,S.H.;Lee,S.H.
- Nature (Lond.) v.376 Identification and inhibition of the ICE/CED-3 protease necessary for mammalian apoptosis Nicholson,D.W.;Ali,A.;Thornberry,N.A.;Vaillancourt,J.P.;Ding,C.K.;Gallant,M.;Gareau,Y.;Griffin,P.R.;Labelle,M.;Lazebnik,Y.A.;Munday,N.A.;Raju,S.M.;Smulson,M.E.;Yamin,T.T.;Yu,V.L.;Miller,D.K.
- Cell v.74 Bcl-2 heterodimerizes in vivo with a conserved homolog, Bax, that accelerates programmed cell death Oltvai,Z.N.;Milliman,C.L.;Korsmeyer,S.J.
- Carcino-genesis v.17 Effects of the phytochemicals, curcumin and quercetin, upon azoxymethane-induced colon cancer and 7,12-dimethylbenz[α]anthracene-induced mammary cancer in rats Pereira,M.A.;Grubbs,C.J.;Barnes,L.H.;Li,H.;Olson,G.R.;Eto,I.;Juliana,M.;Whitaker,L.M.;Kelloff,G.J.;Steele,V.E.;Lubet,R.A.
- Cell Death Differ. v.6 Emerging roles of caspase-3 in apoptosis Porter,A.G.;Janike,R.U.
- Breast Cancer Res.Treat v.54 Differential sensitivity of human mammary epithelial and breast carcinoma cell lines to curcumin Ramachandran,C.;You,W.
- Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci. v.49 Inhibition of carcinogenesis by minor anutrient constituents of the diet Wattenberg,L.W.
- Science v.275 Prevention of apoptosis by bcl-2: release of cytochrome c from mitochondria blocked Yang,J.;Liu,X.;Bhalla,K.