- Volume 6 Issue 3
Inhibitory Effects of Kochujang Extracts on the Tumor Formation and Lung Metastasis in Mice
- Park, Kun-young ;
- Kong, Kyu-Ri ;
- Jung, Keun-Ok ;
- Rhee, Sook-Hee
- Published : 2001.09.01
Effects of kochujang (Korean red pepper soybean paste) extracts on tumor formation, natural killer (NK) cell activity in spleen and glutathione S-transferase (GST) activity in liver were investigated in the sarcoma-180 cell transplanted mice. Inhibitory effects of these samples on lung metastasis of colon 26-M3.1 cells were also evaluated in the Balb/c mice. The injection of methanol extracts from traditional kochujang I (TK I, 0-day fermented), II (TKII, 6-month fermented), commercial kochujang (CK, 1-month fermented) and red pepper powder (RPP) significantly reduced tumor formation in Balb/c mice (p<0.05), TKII decreased tumor growth by 46% compared with control, resulting in the smallest tumor weight. The transplantation of sarcoma-180 cells increased the spleen/body weight ratio of Balb/c mice, while TKI and TKll significantly decreased this index (p<0.05). The effect of TKll and CK, fermented kochujang, on the NK cell activity of splenocytes was higher than that of sarcoma-180 cells transplanted control group. TK II recovered the activity of hepatic GST that was decreased by the transplantation of sarcoma- 180 cells in to the mice. All kochujang-treated mice had significantly fewer lung metastatic colonies than control mice. TKII was the most effective in inhibiting lung metastasis of colon 26-M3.1 cells. These results indicated that optimally ripened (6-month) TK had more suppressive effects on tumor formation and lung metastasis than RPP and kochujang without fermentation and commercially prepared kochujang in mice.
kochujang;sarcoma-180 cells;natural killer cells;glutathione S-transferase;metastasis
- J. Kor. Agric. Chem. Soc. v.31 Some chemical and physical characteristics and acceptability of kochujang from various starch sources Moon, T.W.;Kim, Z.U.
- J. Kor. Agric. Chem. Soc. v.33 Characteristics of improved kochujang Woo, D.H.;Kim, Z.U.
- Food Biotechnol. v.2 Changes of free sugars and free amino acids in kochujang with different mashing method Lee, T.S.;Chun, M.S.;Choi, J.Y.;Noh, B.S.
- Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. v.10 Studies on the change of composition of sweet potato kochujang during fermentation Lee, H.Y.;Park, K.H.;Min, B.Y.;Kim, J.P.;Chung, D.H.
- Food Biotechnol. v.3 The changes in capsaicin, dihydrocapsaicin and cansanthin in kochujang with different mashing methods Chun, M.S.;Lee, T.S.;Noh, B.S.
- J. Korean Soc. Food Nutr. v.20 Inhibitory effect of aflatoxin B₁ mediated mutagenicity by red pepper powder in Salmonella assay system Kim, S.H.;Park, K.Y.;Suh, M.J.
- Ph. D. thesis. Pusan National university Comutagenic and antimutagenic effects of kimchi components Kim, S.H.
- J. Korean Soc. Food Nutr. v.24 Antimutagenic effects of juice from peppers in Salmonella assay system Kweon, Y.M.;Rhee, S.H.;Park, K.Y.
- Anticancer Res. v.15 Structural requirements for differentiation-induction and growth-inhibition of mouse erythroleukemia cells by isoflavones Jing, Y.;Waxman, S.
- J. Nutrition v.125 Saponins as anticarcinogens Rao, A.V.;Sung, M.K.
- J. Nutrition v.125 Inositol phosphates have novel anticancer function Shamsuddin, A.M.
- Cancer Res. (Suppl.) v.43 Bowman-Birk soybean protease inhibitor as an anticarcinogen Yavelow, J.;Finlay, T.H.;Kennevedy, A.R.;Troll, W.
- Carcinogenesis v.6 Protection against di-methylhydrazine-induced adenomatous tumors of the mouse colon by the dietary addition of an extract soybeans containing the Bowman-Birk soybean protease inhibitor Weed, H.G.;McGandy, R.B.;Kennedy, A.R.
- J. Bio. Chem. v.249 Glutathione stransferase A Habig, W.H.;Pabst, M.J.;Jakoby, W.B.
- Immunol. Lett. v.41 Inhibition of natural killer cell activity by dietary lipid Yagoob, P.;Newsholme, E.A.;Calder, P.C.
- J. Nutr. v.119 Lack of an influence of dietary fat on marine natural killer cell activity Erickson, K.L.;Schumacher, L.A.
- Int. J. Immunophamacol. v.20 Prophylactic effect of korean mistletoe (Viscum album coloratum) extract on tumor metastasis is mediated by enhancement of NK cell activity Yoon, T.J.;Yoo, Y.C.;Kang, T.B.;Baek, Y.T.;Huh, C.S.;Song, S.K.;Lee, K.H.;Azuma, I.;Kim, J.B.
- Principles and procedures of statistics Steel, R.G.D;Torrie, J.H.
- J. Food Sci. Nutr. v.4 Inhibitory effect of kochujang extracts on chemically induced mutagenesis Kim, S.J.;Jung, K.O.;Park, K.Y.
- J. Korean Assoc. Cancer Prev. v.5 Antimutagenic effect of kochujang (Korean red pepper soybean paste) and kochujang ingredients in the Ames test Jung, K.O.;Kim, S.J.;Yoon, S.K.;Park, K.Y.
- J. Food Sci. Technol. v.1 Antimutagenic and anticancer effect of Korean fermented soybean products Jung, K.S.;Yoon, K.D.;Hong, S.S.;Kwon, D.J.
- Immunol. Lett. v.41 Inhibition of natural killer cell activity by dietary lipids Parveen, Y.;Eric, A.N.;Philip, C.C.
- Cancer Res. v.50 Potentiation of natural killer cell activity and tumor immunity by diacety lputrescine Terry, L.B.;Andrea, R.;David, S.;Michael, L.M.
- J. Korea Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. v.27 Inhibition effects of Auricularia auriculajuda methanol extract on lipid peroxidation and liver damage in benzo(a)pyrene-treated mice Chang, J.S.;Kim, M.J.;Bae, J.T.;Park, S.H.;Lee, S.E.;Kim, O.M.;Lee, K.R.
- J. Korean Nutr. v.26 Effects of 2-acetylaminofluorene and choline deficiency on lipid peroxidation, glucose 6-phosphatase and glutathione S-transferase activities in rats fed different dietary fats Kim, H.A.;Choi, H.M.
- Br. Med. Bull. v.47 Cancer metastasis Fidler, I.J.
- The 1st International Symposium Functional and Physiological Activities of Korean Traditional Soybean Fermented Foods Destruction of aflatoxin during the manufacture of doenjang (Korean soy paste) by traditional method, and anticancer activities of the doenjang Park, K.Y.
- J. Korean Assoc. Cancer Prev. v.4 Antimutagenic effect of chungkookjangs prepared with the different kinds of soybeans Ko, S.H.;Ju, H.K.;Jung, K.O.;Park, K.Y.
- Foods Biotechnology v.4 Antimutagenic effect of kimchi Park, K.Y.;Baek, K.A.;Rhee, S.H.;Cheigh, H.S.
- J. Food Sci. Nutr. v.2 Inhibitory effects of kimchi extracts on carcinogen-induced cytotoxicity and transformation in C3H/10T1/2 cells Choi, M.W.;Kim, K.H.;Kim, S.H.;Park, K.Y.