- Volume 6 Issue 2
Volatile Flavor Components in Boiled Snow Crab (Chionoecetes japonicus) and Its Concentrated Cooker Effluent
- Park, Sung-Hee (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dong-eui University) ;
- Kim, Young-Man (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dong-eui University) ;
- Hyun, Sook-Kyung (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dong-eui University)
- Published : 2001.06.01
The volatile flavor components of snow crabs from the Young-duk coast of Korea and their concentrated cooker effluent were isolated by a modified method from Likens and Nickerson, using a simultaneous distillation and extraction apparatus. The concentrated extract was analyzed and identified by gas chromatography and GC-MS. The flavor profile of boiled crab demonstrated that the favorable flavor characteristic of crab involved a seafood-like note, and that of concentrated cooker effluent demonstrated that the weak boiled crab flavor involved a fishy note. The main flavor components of boiled crab were heterocyclic compounds including alkylpyrazines, thizoles and thiolanes, aliphatic ketones including 2-heptanone and nonanone. On the other hand, the main flavor components of cooker effluent were aldehydes including 3-methylbutanal, alipatic ketones including 2-heptanone and alkanes including 2,6,10,14-tetramethyl-pentadecane. Almost all of heterocyclic compounds, which seem to be important contributors to the flavor of boiled crab, were not identified in concentrated cooker effluent. As a result, there may be a need to add the crab flavor components formed through model experiments of Maillard reactions to the concentrated cooker effluent for human consumption.
- Marine biological Youn, S.K.;Hong, J.S.
- Kagaku To Seibutsu. v.20 Taste-active components of crab meat Konosu, S.;Fuke, S.
- Bull. Japan. Soc. Sci. Fish. v.44 Studies on flavor components in boiled crabs-Ⅰ Konosu, S.;Ymaguchi, K.;Hayashi, T.
- J. Food Sci. v.58 Volatile component in blue crab (Callinectes sapidus) meat and processing by-product Chung, H.Y.;Cadwallder, K.R.
- J. Agric. Food Chem. v.42 Aroma extract dilution analysis of blue crab meat volatiles Chung, H.Y.;Cadwallder, K.R.
- J. Food Sci. v.55 Analysis of crabmeat volatile compounds Matiella, J.E.;Hsieh, T.C-Y.
- J. Food Sci. v.58 Volatile flavor components in snow crab cooker effluent and effluent concentrate Cha, Y.J.;Cadwallader, K.R.
- J. Korean Soc. Food Nutr. v.24 Quantitative analysis of alkylpyrazines in snow crab cooker effluents Cha, Y.J.;Baek, H.H.
- J. Food Sci. v.55 Amino acid hydrolyzate from crab processing waste Jaswal, A.S.
- Bull. Korean. Fish. Soc. v.23 Preparation of the hydrolyzate using crab by-product after water extraction Kim, Y.M.;Lee, Y.C.;Koo, J.G.;Kim, D.S.
- J. Agric. Food Chem. v.25 Isolation of volatile components from a model system Schultz, T.H.;Flath, R.A.;Mon, T.R.;Enggling, S.B.;Teranish, R.J.
- J. Food Sci. v.54 Volatile flavor components in crayfish waste Tanchotikul, U.;Hsieh, T.C.Y.
- Ph.D. Dissertation, Ochanomizu Women's University Chemical studies on Antarctic krill as a new protein source (research on the odor characteristics) Kubota, K.
- J. Agric. Food. Chem. v.45 Analysis of volatile components derived from raw and roasted earth-almond Cantalejo, M.J.
- J. Kor. Tea Soc. v.3 Aroma components of bran rice green Choi, S.H.;Lee, D.H.
- J. Food Sci. Nutr. v.4 Aroma components of chicory (Cichorium intybus L.) tea and its model system Choi, S.H.
- J. Agric. Food. Chem. v.22 Organic sulfur compounds from fatty aldehydes, hydrogen sulfide, thiols, and ammonia as flavor constituents Mans, B.;Lecndert, M.L.;Pieter, J.V.;Hans, M.D.;Henk, J.T.
- Goryonoziten Hujimaki, M.
- Agric. Biol. Chem. v.52 Novel dithiazine compounds in volatile components from cooked sakuraebi (Sergia Lucens Hansen) Kubota, K.;Watanabe, K.;Kobayashi, A.
- Agric. Biol. Chem. v.47 Odor of cooked small shrimp, Acetes japonicus Kishinouye, Difference between raw material and fermented product Choi, S.H.;Kobayashi, A.;Yamanishi, T.
- Bull. Japan. Soc. Sci. Fish. v.45 Studies on flavor components in boiled crabs-Ⅲ Hayashi, T.;Asakawa, A.;Yamaguchi, K.;Konosu,S.