- Volume 10 Issue 1
Responses of Transgenic Tobacco Plants Overexpressing Superoxide Dismutase and Ascorbate Peroxidase in Chloroplasts to Water Stress
Superoxide Dismutase와 Ascorbate Peroxidase를 엽록체에 과발현하는 형질전환 담배의 수분스트레스에 대한 반응
- 최선미 (청주대학교 생물학과) ;
- 권석윤 (생명공학연구소 식물세포공학연구실) ;
- 곽상수 (청주대학교 생물학과) ;
- 박용목 (청주대학교 생물학과)
- Published : 2001.02.01
To assess resistance of transgenic tobacco plants which overexpress superoxide dismutase (SOD) and ascorbate peroxidase (APX) in chloroplasts to water stress, changes in leaf water potential, turgor potential, stomatal conductance and transpiration rate were measured. Leaf water potential in all plants remained high up to day 4 after withholding water but thereafter decreased markedly. In spite of a remarkable decrease in leaf water potential, some of transgenic plants maintained higher turgor potential compared with control plant on day 12. In particular, the transgenic plant expressing MnSOD showed an outstanding maintenance in turgor pressure by osmotic adjustment throughout the experiment, resulting in high stomatal conductance and transpiration rate. However, among transgenic plants, osmotic potential was reduced more effectively in multiple transformants such as the double transformant expressing both MnSOD and APX, and the triple transformant expressing CuznSOD, MnSOD and APX than single transformants. Consequently, further research is needed to get general agreement on the tolerance of transgenic plants to water stress at different growth stages for each transgenic plant.
antioxidants;environmental stress;osmotic adjustment;tolerance;transgenic plant;turgor pressure;water potential;water stress
- Environmental ecology Freedman,B.
- Planta v.199 Chilling, oxidative stress and antioxidant responses in shoot culture of rice Fadzillah,N.M.;V.Gill;R.P.Finch;R.H.Burdon
- New Phytol. v.125 The role of active oxygen in the response of plants to water deficit and desiccation Sminoff,N.
- Plant Cell Physiol. v.36 Paraquat tolerance of Transgenic Nicotiana tabacum with enhanced activities of glutathione reductase and superoxide dismutase Aono,M.;H.Saji;A.Sakamoto;K.Tanaka;N.Kondo;K.Tanaka
- Free Rad. Biol. Med. v.23 Use of transgenic plants to study antioxidant defenses Allen,R.D.;Webb,R.P.;S.A.Schake
- MS Thesis, Texas Tech University Analysis of pea chloroplastic MnSOD overexpressing in tabacco Schake,S.A.
- Oecologia v.65 The responses of stomata and leaf gas exchange to vapor pressure deficits and soil water content.Ⅲ. In the sclerophyllous woody species Nerium oleander Gollan,T.;N.C.Turner;E.D.Schulze
- Agro. J. v.65 Water-use efficiency and its relation to crop canopy area, stomatal regulation, and root distribution Teare,I.D.;E.T.Kanemasu;W.L.Power;H.S.Jacobs
- Physiol. Plant v.59 Break down of photosynthetic pigments and lipids in spinach leaves with ozone fumigation: role of active oxigens Sakaki,T.;N.Kondo;K.Sugahara
- Water relations of plants Kramer,P.J.
- Pl. Physiol. v.46 Leaf enlargement and metabolic rates in corn, soybean and sunflower at various leaf water potentials Boyer,J.S.
- 한국생태학회지 v.15 온산공단 주변 해송림의 초본식생에 관한 조사 김종갑
- Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. v.24 Plant responses to water stress Hsiao,T.C.
- Aust. J. Plant Physiol. v.7 Responses to humidity by stomata of Nicotiana glauca L. and Corylus avellana L. are consistent with the optimization of carbon dioxide uptake with respect to water loss Farquhar,G.D.;E.D.Schulze;M.Kupper
- Plant Physiol. v.103 Overexpression of superoxide dismutase protects plants from oxidative stress Sen Gupta,A.;R.P.Webb;A.S.Holaday;R.Allen
- Oecologia v.63 The responses of stomata and leaf gas exchange to vapor pressure deficits and soil water content. Ⅰ. Species comparisons at high soil water contents Turner,N.C.;E.D.Schulze;T.Gollan
- Plant Cell and Environment v.20 Apparent responses of stomata to transpiration and humidity in a hybrid poplar canopy Meinzer,F.C.;T.M.Hinckley;R.Ceulemans
- Plant Mol. Biol. v.14 Transformed plants with elevated levels of chloroplastic SOD are not more resistant to superoxide toxicity Tepperman,J.M.;P.Dusmuir
- Plant Physiol. v.111 Water-deficit tolerance and field performance of transgenic alfalfa overexpressing superoxide dismutase McKesie,B.D.;S.R.Bowley;E.Harjanto;O.Leprince
- Plant Soil v.58 Plant water relations and adaptation to stress Turner,N.C.;J.E.Begg
- The Symposium on Plant Biotechnology Manipulation of antioxidative mechanism in chloroplasts Kwon,S.Y.;H.S.Lee;S.S.Kwak
- Nature Biotech v.15 Overexpression of glutathione S-transferase/gutathione peroxidase enhances the growth of transgenic tobacco seedling during stress Roxas,V.;R.K.Smith;E.R.Allen;R.D.Allen
- Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology Stomatal responses, water loss and CO₂ assimilation rates of plants in contrasting environments Schuze,E.D.;A.E.Hall;Lange,O.L(ed.);P.S.Nobel(ed.);C.B.Osmond(ed.);H.Ziegler(ed.)
- Plant Cell and Environment v.13 Changes in the concentration of ABA in the xylem sap as function of changing soil water status can account for changes in leaf conductance and growth Zhang,J.;W.J.Davies
- Plant Physiol. v.119 Water-deficit tolerance and field performance of transgenic alfalfa overexpressing superoxide dismutase McKesie,B.D.;S.R.Bowley;K.S.Jones
- Adaptation of plants to water and high temperature stress Turgor maintenance by osmotic adjustment Turner,N.C.;M.M.Jones;Turner,N.C.(ed.);P.J.Kramer(ed.)
- Aust. J. Plant Physiol. v.13 Stomatal and photosynthetic limitations to leaf growth Kriedemann,P.
- Plant Physiol. v.104 Transient responses of cell turgor and growth of maize roots as affected by changes in water potential Frensch Jurgen;T.C.Hsiao
- Tree Physiology v.18 Drought tolerance, xylem sap abscisic acid and stomatal conductance during soil drying: a comparison of canopy trees of three temperate deciduous angiosperms Loewenstein,N.J.;S.G.Pallady
- 한국생태학회지 v.21 칡(Pueraria thunbergiana) 조직수분관계의 일변화 특성 박용목;최창렬