- Volume 10 Issue 3
Manufacture of Printing and Writing Papers from Old Corrugated Containers (OCC)
Old Corrugated Containers (OCC)로부터 인쇄·필기용지 제조
- Lee, Goo (Department of Forest Resources, Korea University) ;
- Ahn, Byoung-Jun (Department of Forest Resources, Korea University) ;
- Paik, Ki-Hyon (Department of Forest Resources, Korea University)
- Received : 1998.10.01
- Accepted : 1999.01.21
- Published : 1999.05.10
Increasing consumer demand for recycle of most paper products is challenging manufacturers to use lower value raw materials while maintaining high quality. This study was carried out to investigate the composition of old corrugated containers (OCC) and to manufacture printing and writing papers of over 85% (ISO) brightness by ECF and TCF bleaching from OCC. Fiber length of American old corrugated container (AOCC) was longer than that of Korean old corrugated container (KOCC) in fiber length. The former was composed of unbleached kraft pulp (UKP) of about 80 percentage, the latter about 20 percentage. OCC is feasible for manufacturing of pulps i.e., AOCC is for printing and writing papers and KOCC is for whiteboards, in the aspects of brightness and mechanical properties on the other hand, the cost of manufacturing upgraded papers by OCC is high because of bleaching chemicals. Neverthless, considering various aspects, especially environment, there are many advantages in recycling. In case of the treated AOCC pulp, over 85% (ISO) brightness can be achieved through TCF or ECF bleaching step, while the treated KOCC pulp did not allow high brightness through TCF bleaching. The tensile index of the bleached KOCC pulp was lower than that of the bleached AOCC pulp, but the burst and tear index of KOCC was higher than that of AOCC.
AOCC;KOCC;TCF Bleaching;ECF Bleaching;Printing Papers;Writing Papers
- Tappi J. v.69 A. de Rubo;P. A. Farnstrand;N. Hagen
- Progress in Paper Recycling v.3 H. M. Bisner;R. Campbell;W. T. Mckean.
- Tappi J. v.77 M. Jackson;I. L. Croon;F. Nardi
- Paper Recycling Conference P. Y. Dionne;M. Hoyos
- Tappi J. v.78 E. L. Back
- Holzforschung v.43 E. K. Monica;J. Gierer;K. Jansbo
- Korea Tappi J. v.29 D. H. Kim;K. H. Paik
- Recycling Symposium T. Reichert;W. T. Mckean;S. M. Abubakr
- Prograss in Paper Recycling v.3 X. T. Nguyen;A. Shariff;P. F. Earl;R. J. Eamer
- Papermaker mill report v.2 Domtar Inc.
- Tappi J. v.77 J. Kappl
- Holzforschung v.50 Y. Sun;D. S. Argyropoulos