- Volume 27 Issue 3
Flavor Characteristics of Korean Traditional Distilled Liquors Produced by the Co-culture of Saccharomyces and Hansenula
Saccharomyces와 Hansenula의 혼합배양에 의해 제조한 민속증류수의 향미특성
- Hong, Yeun (Department of Food and Microbial technology, Seoul Women's University) ;
- Park, Seung-Kook (Department of Food Science and Technology, Kyunghee University) ;
- Choi, Eon-Ho (Department of Food and Microbial technology, Seoul Women's University)
- 홍연 (서울여자대학교 식품.미생물공학과) ;
- 박승국 (경희대학교 생명과학부) ;
- 최언호 (서울여자대학교 식품.미생물공학과)
- Published : 1999.06.01
Andong Soju is a Korean traditional distilled liquor brewed with Nuruk which is cultured with wild microorganisms. To provide useful information for scientific production and systematic quality control of traditional distilled liquor, the effects of mixed culture of the alcoholic yeasts and saccharifying molds isolated from the Nuruk, and mashes on the flavor and sensory characteristics were investigated. Distillate from mashes cocultured with Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Hansenula anomala using Mucor Nuruk was compared with distillate from mashes brewed with Andong Nuruk and with distillate from plant fermented mashes to analyze their flavor characteristics. The volatile flavor compounds in distillates were analyzed by GC and GC-MS using direct injection, solvent extraction, and purge & trap methods. Alcohols such as 3-methyl-1-butanol, 2-methyl-1-propanol, 1-propanol, and 2-phenyl ethanol; aldehydes such as acetaldehyde and 2-furancar-boxaldehyde; esters such as ethyl ester of acetic acid, hexanoic acid, octanoic acid, decanoic acid; alkanes, alkenes, ketone, sulfur, and pyrone compounds were detected. Alcohols were chief components of flavor compounds. No significant difference in overall acceptability test was shown among three experimental groups(p<0.05), but Nuruk-like aroma, Kaoliangchiew-like aroma, sweet taste, and well rounded mouthfeel showed significant differences among them(p<0.05).
distilled liquor;alcohol fermentation;mixed culture;flavor;sensory evaluation
- Bull. Food Technol. v.7 Research status of traditional liquors Ahn, B.H.
- J. Soc. Brew. Japan v.62 A view of soysauce (flavor component) Asasio, H;H. Kikotsuka
- Korean J. Appl. Microbiol. Bioeng. v.8 Microbiological studies on the rice makkulli Chung, D.H.;N.K. Sung
- J. Korean Agric. Chem. Soc. v.30 Comparison of the aroma components in the Korean traditional Yakjus Jung, J.H.;S.T. Jung
- Korean J. Food Sci. Tech. v.28 Flavor components in mash of Takju prepared by different raw materials Lee, J.S.;T.S Lee;S.O. Park;B.S. Noh
- J. Soc. Brew. Japan v.62 A view of sake component; Ester Nunokau, T.
- Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. v.26 Rapid gas chromatographic screening of alcoholic beverages for volatile and nonvolatile organic acids Kim, J.H.;K.R. Kim;j. Y. Chai;H.K. Park;K.S. Choi
- J. Korean Agric. Chem. Soc. v.30 Studies on the changes in free amino acids and organic acids of Takju prepared with different koji strains Lee, W.K;J.R. Kim;M.W. Lee
- J. Soc. Brew. Japan v.62 A view of sake component; Corbonyl Owaki, K.
- Seoul Women's University Gas chromatographic-mass spectrometric analyses of flavor compounds in Korean folk Sojues with porous polymer Park, H.S.
- Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. v.24 Changes in compositions of liquor fractions distilled from Samil-ju with various distillation conditions Min, Y.K.;H.S. Yun;H.S. Jeong;Y.S. Jang
- Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. v.13 Studies on the components of Sokokju, and commercial Yakju Chang, K.J.;T.J. Yu
- Korean J. Appl. Microbiol. Bioeng. v.3 Evaluation of batch fermentation conditions on beer flavor development Pack, M.Y.
- J. Korean Agric. Chem. Soc. v.8 Studies on the identification of organic acids and sugars in the fermented mash of the Takju made from different raw-materials Chung, D.H.
- Korean J. Dietary Culture v.6 Studies on the processing of Korean traditional Soju, Jindo-Hongju: Ⅰ. Changes on components of Hongju mash fermented by different methods Kim, Y.S.;S.H. Kang;J.H. Jung
- Department of Agrichlture Methods for Sensory Evaluation of Food Lamond, E.
- J. Korean Agric. Chem. Soc. v.4 Studies on the quantitative changes of organic acid and sugars during the germentation of Takju Kim, C.J.
- Sensory Evaluation Techniques Descriptive analysis techniques Meilgaard, M.;G.V. Civille;B.T. Carr
- J. Soc. Brew Japan v.71 Brewing component; Beer (fermented flavor component) Yuda, J.
- Seoul Women's University Multivariate analytical approach and microscopic determination of aldehydes and esters Kim, K.
- J. Soc. Brew. Japan. v.62 A view of Ske component;Alcohols Hara, S.
- J. Korean Agric. Chem. Soc. v.13 Studies on the quantitative changes of thiamin during Takju brewing Kim, C.J.;W.Y. Choi
- Korean J. Microbiol v.8 Studies on the microflora of Takju brewing Lee, Z.S.;T.W. Rhee
- Korean J. Dietary Culture v.4 The history of Korean alcoholic liquors Jang, J.H.
- Food Sci. Biotechnol. v.7 Quality characteristics of andong Soju type mashes produced by the co-culture of wild microorganisms isolated from Nuruk and mashes for Soju (Korean Traditional Distilled Liquor) Hong, Y.S.;O. Park;E.H. Choi
- Food Sci. Technol. v.21 Alcoholic beverages Chung, D.H.;N.K. Sung
- Seoul Women's University Studies on the microflora and cultural characteristics for production of a Korean traditional distilled liquor Hong, Y.
- Korean J. Appl. Microbiol. v.7 Studies on chemical components of fermented mash in the brewing of Maggerley (Korean wine) Lee, S.B.;W.J. Chang;B.J. Im;D.C. Kim
- Foods Biotechnol v.6 Microflora and physiochemical characteristics of Nuruk and mashes and main mashes during fermentation of a traditional Andong Soju Hong, Y.;Y.B. Kim;S.O. Park;E.H. Choi
- J. Korean Agric. Chem. Soc. v.39 Volatile flavor components in mash of nonglutinous rice Takju during fermentation Lee, J.S.;T.S. Lee;J.Y. Shoi;D.S. Lee
- Korean J. Food Sci. Tech. v.29 Wolatile flavoe components in mash of Takju prepared by using different Nuruks Han, E.H.;T.S. Lee;B.S. Noh;D.S. Lee
- Korean J. Dietary Culture v.4 The production and market status of distilled liquor Lee, K.H.
- J. Korean Agric. Chem. Soc. v.10 Microbiological and enzymological studies on Takju brewing Kim. C.J.
- J. Soc. Brew. Japan v.72 Brewing component; Spirits (component) Nishiya, T.
- Merck Index Windholz, M.
- J. Korean Agric. Chem. Soc. v.9 Studies in the components of Korean Sake:Part 2. Detection of the free amino acids on Takju by paper partition chromatography Kim. C.J.
- J. Korean. Chem. Soc. v.38 Gas chromatographic and mass spectrometric determination of alcohol homologues in the Korean folk Sojues Lee, D.S.;H.S. Park;K. Kim;T.S. Lee;B.S. Noh
- J. Korean Agric. Chem. Soc. v.13 Studies on the quantitative changes of riboflavin during Takju brewing Kim, C.J.;W.Y. Choi