- Volume 32 Issue 6
Any mechanical system has a natural oscillation which can be excited, and the earth is no exception. The earth can oscillate in an indefinite number of normal modes of oscillation, rather like a giant bell. The various free modes are generally sparated into two categoridal modes and toroidal modes. Clearly the toroidal modes will produce no perturvation of the gravity field and no vertical acceleration on the surface of the earth. Hence only spheroidal modes can be detected with a gravimeter. EarthTide gravimeter was installed at AIMST in order to observe free modes of the earth. Eight major earthquakes including chinese earthquake (magnitude 7.3) with free oscillations of the earth are observed during one year (1998. 8. 1∼1999.7.31). And then the earth tides components were eilminated from earthquake records using a numerical Butterworth highpass filter. Spectral analysis of gravity readings repersent that 48 observations of shheroidal modes. The relationships between instrumental observations and theoretical predictions based on the Gutenberg earth model agree well those resulting from free oscillation in Korea.
- Proc. Roy. Soc. London A v.252 Oscillations of the Earth Alterman, Z.;Jorosch, H.;Pekeris, C.L.
- Progress report, Seismological laboratory, California Institute of Technology, 1953 v.3 Benioff, H.;Gutenberg, B.;Richter, C.F.
- J. Geophy. Res. v.64 Searching for the Earth's free oscillations of the Earth by earthquakes Benioff, H.;Harrisson, J.C.;LaCoste, L.;Munk, W.H.;Slichter, L.B.
- J. Geophy. Res. v.66 Excitation of the free oscillation of the Earth by earthquakes Benioff, H.;Press, F.;Smith, S.
- The solid Earth Fowler, C.M.R.
- J. Geophy. Res. v.65 Free oscillations of the Earth Gilbert, J.F.;Macdonald, G.J.F.
- The analysis of tides Godin, G.
- Saunders Company Press Introduction to geophysics, W.B. Garland, G.D.
- Free oscillations of the Earth Lapwood, E.R.;Usami, T.
- J. Geophy. Res. v.66 Observations of the free oscillation of the Earth Ness, N.F.;Harrison, J.C.;Slichter, L.B.
- Econ. Environ. Geol. v.31 A study on the earth tide variations by ET gravimeter Park, J.H.;Han, U.