- Volume 5 Issue 6
The design of robust plate and shell elements has been a very challenging area for several decades. The main difficulty has been the shear locking phenomenon in plate elements and the shear and membrane locking phenomena together in the shell elements. Among the various artifices or devices which are used to develop elements free of these problems is the field-consistency approach. In this paper this approach is reviewed, It turns out that not only Mindlin type elements but also elements based on higher-order theories could be developed using the technique.
- Ahmed, S. ,Irons, B.M. and Zienkiewicz, O.C. (1970), "Analysis of thick and thin shell structures by curved finite elements", Int. J. Numer. Meths. Engrg., 2, 419-451. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620020310
- Hughes, T.J.R., Taylor, R.L. and Kanok-Nukulchai, W. (1977), "A simple and efficient finite element for plate bending", Int. J. Numer. Meths. Engrg., 11, 1529-1543. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620111005
- Mindlin, R.D. (1951), "Influence of rotary inertia and shear on flexural motion of isotropic elastic plates", J. Appl. Mech., 18, 31-38.
- Pawsey, S.F. and Clough, R.W. (1971), "Improved numerical integration o9f thick shell finite elements", Int. J. Numer. Meths. Engrg., 3, 575-586. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620030411
- Prathap, G. (1993), The Finite Element Method in Structural Mechanics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- Prathap, G. (1994), "The displacement-type finite element approach-form art to science", Prog. Aerospace Sci., 30, 295-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/0376-0421(94)90007-8
- Prathap, G. and Somashekar, B.R. (1988), "Field- and edge-consistency synthesis of a 4-noded quadrilateral plate bending element", Int. J. Numer. Meths. Engrg., 26, 1693-1708. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620260803
- Stolarski, H. and Belytschko, T. (1982), "Membrane locking and reduced integration for curved elements", J. Appl. Mech., 49, 172-178. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3161961
- Zienkiewicz, O.C., Taylor, R.L. and Too, J.M. (1971), "Reduced integration technique in general analysis of plates and shells", Int. J. Numer. Meths. Engrg., 3, 275-290. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620030211
- A stabilized MITC element for accurate wave response in Reissner–Mindlin plates vol.80, pp.9-10, 2002, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(02)00046-9
- A laminated composite plate finite element a-priori corrected for locking vol.28, pp.5, 2008, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.28.5.603
- AN UNSYMMETRIC STRESS FORMULATION FOR REISSNER-MINDLIN PLATES: A SIMPLE AND LOCKING-FREE RECTANGULAR ELEMENT vol.05, pp.03, 2004, https://doi.org/10.1142/S1465876304002587
- A serendipity plate element free of modeling deficiencies for the analysis of laminated composites vol.154, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2016.07.042