- Volume 29 Issue 4
A Nuclide Decay Chain Transport Model by the Method of Characteristics
- Lee, Youn-Myoung (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kang, Chul-Hyung (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Hahn, Pil-Soo (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Chun, Kwan-Sik (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Published : 1997.08.01
The nuclide transport in the one-dimensional porous medium is considered as a first step in developing a decay chain transport in multidimensional inhomogeneous media. A method of solving conventional advection-dispersion equation with decay chain of arbitrary length by using the method of characteristics (MOC) is introduced. In specific cases where the advection are dominant rather than dispersion, the method is known to be useful : one of the most distinctive advantages in applying the model is that the MU minimizes the numerical dispersion, which is distinguished in such common numerical schemes as finite element method and finite difference method. The suggested model is considered to be effective through several illustrations for the case that decay chain of arbitrary length is involved during transport which is difficult to solve by standard numerical solutions if the medium becomes more complicated.
- Gound Water v.24 no.6 MOC Solutions of Convective Dispersion Problems Khaleel, R.;D.L. Reddell
- Soc. Pet. Eng. J. v.4 no.1 Numerical Calculation of Multidimensional Miscible displacement by the Method of Characteristics Garder, A.O.(et. al.)
- Hydrol. Papers, Numerical Simulation of Dispersion in Groundwater Aquifers Reddell, D.L.;D.K. Sunada
- USGS/WRI-89-4030 Modification of a Method-of-Characteristics Solute-Transport Model to Incorporate Decay and Equilibrium-Controlled Sorption or Ion Exchange Good, D.J.;L.F. Konikow
- Ground Water v.31 no.3 Extension of the Method of Characteristics for Simulation of Solute Transport in Three Dimensions Zheng, C.
- Ph.D. Dissertation, U.C. Berkeley Migration of Radionuclides through Backfill in a Nuclear Waste Repository Lung, H.C.
- USGS/WRI, Book 7 Computer Model of Two-dimensional Solute Transport and Dispersion in Ground Water Konikow, L.F.;J.D. Bredehoeft
- Computational Methods in Subsurface Flow Huyakom, P.S.;G.F. Pinder