- Volume 4 Issue 5
The waste biomass of Sacchromyces uvarum, used in fermentation industries to produce ethanol, were studied for their ability to absorb various heavy metal ions. Heavy metal ions studied in this research were Cd, Co, Cr, Cu, Ni and Pb. The order of the sorption capacity was Pb>Cu>Co=Cr=Cd>Ni. The living Sacchromyces uvarum exhibited higher metal-uptake capacity than the dead Sacchromyces uvarum. After we compare the uptake capacity of the Sacchromyces uvarum for individual metal ions with for a mixture of them, the following was observed: in the mixed heavy metal solution the uptake capacity was decreased than the one heavy metal solution. The selective uptake was observed when all . the heavy metal ions were dissolved in a mixed solution. The adsorption isotherm modelling was decribed with the Langmuir and Freundlich model. The results were in good agreement with the Langmuir model.
- Standard Methods for the examination of water and wastewater(17th ed.) APHA;AWWA;WPF
- J. Chem. Tech. Biotechnol. v.58 Biosorption of metals by a waste biomass Beat,M.;Gunhild,S.s
- J. of Environ. Eng. v.112 no.1 Effects of Cd(Ⅱ) and Cu(Ⅱ) on a biofilm system Chang,S.Y.;Huang,J.C.;Liu,Y.C.
- FEMS Microbiol v.14 Improvement of heavy metal biosorption by mycelial dead biomass:pH control and cationc activation Eric,F.;Catherine,C.;Roux,J.C.
- FEMS Microbiol v.14 Evaluation of a countercurrent biosorption system for the removal of lead and copper from aqueous solutions Gourdon,R.;Diard,P.;Funtowicz,N.
- Wat. Res. v.27 no.2 Accumulation of Mercury(Ⅱ) and Methymercury by microbial biofilms Holger,H.;Ralf,E.;Wilken,R.D.
- Biotechnol. and Bioeng. v.33 The mechanism of cobalt biosorption Kuyucak,N.;Volesky,B.
- Biotech. Lett. v.10 no.2 Biosorbents for recovery of metals from industrial solutions Kuyucak,N.;Volesky,B.
- Appl. Environ. Micobiol. v.55 no.12 Bacterial sorption of heavy metals Mullen,M.D.;Wolf,D.C.;Ferris,F.G.;Beveridge,T.J.;Flemming,C.A.;Bailey
- Plant & Cell Physiol v.16 Adsorption of metal ions on yeast cells at varied cell concentration Michio,I.;Mitsuyoshi,Y.;Teruaki,K.
- Biotech. Lett. v.11 no.4 Selective accumulation of silver by fungi Pighi,L.;Pumpel,T.;Schinner,F.
- Biotechnol. and Bioeng. v.43 Sorption and Percipitation of metals in activated sludge Prasad,S.K.;James,W.P.;Rao,Y.S.
- WPCF v.56 no.12 Complexation of heavy metals by extracellular polymers in the activated sludge process Rudd,T.;Sterritt,R.M.;Lester,J.N.
- WPCF v.61 no.6 Metal finishing and processing Thomas,E.H.;Drew,P.D.
- Biotechnol. and Bioeng. v.41 Cadmium biosorption by Saccharomyces cerevisiae Voleskey,B.;May,H.;Holan,Z.R.
- FEMS Microbiol v.14 Advances in biosorption of metals : Selection of biomass types Volesky,B.
- Biosorptions of Heavy Metals Volesky,B.