- Volume 11 Issue 3
The land-use has changed rapidly during the last two decades in accordance with urbanization in the Seoul Metropolitan Region. As a result of these changes, the local climate has undergone changes as well. This study intends to define the land-use changes, and then to show how they have brought in significant changes in the local climates. Land-use changes in the study area so repidly that up-to date maps and documents are not available at present. Therefore, Landsat data for land-use classification and NOAA AVHRR thermal data for the temperature fields were analyzed. Additionary, to visualize the effect of the land-use on the local climate, computer-enhanced brightness temperatures, Green Belt and city boundaries were overlaid on land-use patterns obtained from satellite images using GIS techniques. The results of analysis demonstrate that Green Space in the Seoul Metropolitan Region decreased from 94% to 62% while urban land-use increased ten times, from 4% to 39% for the period of 1972-1992. The resulting disappearance of biomass caused by land-use changes may have implications for the local-and micro-climate. The results show that the local climate of the study area became drier and warmer. This study also suggests a need for further studies of man's effects on local climate to minimize adverse influences and hazardous pollution and efficacious ways for urban planning.
- Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc. v.25 The influence of smoke and hot gases from factory chimneys on rainfall Ashworth,J.R.
- Meteorological Monographs v.18 no.40 METROMEX: A review and summary Changnon,S.A.J.;SA.Changnon,Jr.(ed.)
- Environmental Statistics Yearbook Han-River Flood Forecasting, Han-River Flood Control Office, Ministry of Construction and Transportation. Ministry of Environment, 1988-1994 Ministry of Construction and Transportation
- Nature v.298 Soil carbon pools and world life zone Post,W.M.;W.R.Emanuel;P.J.Zinke;A.G.Stangenberger
- Bull. Amer. Mateor. v.20 The La Porte anomaly-fact or fiction Changnon,S.A.J.
- The Climate of Cities,Translation Kratzer,A.
- Proceedings : The Nature of Seoul and Geographical Perception System The Urban Growth of Seoul and Its Natural Environment Sung,Hyo Hymn
- A Study of a Policy of National Land Development in the Aspect of Environmental Conservation Yun,Yang-su;Sun-hi Kim;chi-hyun Choi
- CLIMATIC HISTORY AND THE FUTURE Princeton, J. J. Lamb,H.
- Int. J. Remote Sensing v.9 no.3 The application of spatial filtering methods to urban features analysis using digital image data Duggin,M.J.;R.A.Rowntree;A.W.Odell
- J. Climate Appl. Meteor. v.25 The urban-related nocturnal rainfall anomaly at St.Louis Changnon,S.A.Jr.;F.A.Huff
- Man's Role in Changing the Face of the Earth The climate of towns Landsberg,H.E.
- THE URBAN CLIMATE Landsberg,H.E.
- J. Korean Geogr. Soc. v.28 no.2 Precipitation in summer in the Metropolitan Seoul area Lee,Hyoun Young
- Prentice Hall Series in Geophysic Information Science. Introductory Digital Image Processing Jensen,John R.
- APA J. no.Jan What to do about urban-generated weather and climate change Changnon,S.A.J.
- Urban Climates, WMO Tech. Note v.149 Climate and urban planning Landsberg,H.E.
- Int. J. of Urban Atmosphere v.27 no.B An application of NOAA AVHRR thermal data to the study of urban heat islands Lee,Hyoun Young
- URBANIZATION AND ENVIRONMENT Urbanization and Environment in Perspective Detwyler,Thomas,R.;Melvin,G.Marcus
- J. Geophys. Res. v.92 Biotic changes consistent with the increased seasonal amplitude of atmospheric CO² concentration Houghton,R.