- Volume 11 Issue 3
The characteristics of the Asian summer monsoon have been investigated for the periods of 1993/1994, the contrasting years in a view of the summer monsoon precipitation. In order to investigate the monsoon features over the eastern Asian monsoon region, the cloudiness(using the extensive data derived by the geostationary meteorological satellite), the condition of underlying surface including sea-surface temperature, and the summer rainfall are analyzed and some comparisons with 1993 and 1994 are also made and the characteristic differences are discussed. An analysis of the 2-degree latitude-longitude gridded 5-day mean high cloud amount data shows the detailed movement and persistence of the convective activities. In order to describe the spatial and temporal structures of the intraseasonal oscillation for the movement and evolution of the monsoon cloud, the extended empirical orthogonal fnction analysis with the twenty-day window size is used for the each year. Also, in order to find out the periodicity of the equatorial convective cluster, Fourier harmonic analysis is applied to the each year. The most prevailing intraseasonal oscillations of high cloud amount are 61 day mode and 15day mode in the equatorial and the subtropical oceans. However it was found that the most prevailing modes over the equatorial western Pacific and Indian Ocean were different for each year, hence raising the possibillity that the contrasting monsoon presipitation may be more fundamentally related to the interaction of intraseasonal oscillations and seasonal variation of convective activities over the lower latitude ocean.
- J. Atmos. Sci. v.51 The life cycle of the Madden-Julian oscillation Hendon,H.H.;M.L.Salby
- Mon.Wea. Rev. v.114 Global scale intraseasonal oscillations of outgoing longwave radiation and 250mb zonal wind during northern hemisphere summer. Knutson,T.R.,;K.M.Wickmann,;J.E.Kutzbach
- Climate diagnostics bulletin Kousky,V.E.
- J. Atmos. Sci. v.33 Oscillations of a monsoon part I:Observational aspects Krishnamurti,T.N.;N.H.Bhalme,
- Mon. Wea. Rev. v.114 Aspect of the 40-50 day oscillation during the northern summer as unfered from outpoing longwave radiation Lau,K.M.;P.H.Chan,
- Mon. Wea. Rev. v.112 The influence of sea surface temperature on the tropical intraseasonal oscillation : A numerical study Li,Tianming;B.Wang
- J. Atmos. Sci. v.28 Detection of a 40-50 day oscillation in the zonal wind in the tropical Pacific Madden,R.A.;P.R.Julian
- J. Atmos. Sci. v.62 Estimation of monthly rainfall from satellite-observed cloud amount in the tropical western Pacific Maruyama,T.;T.Nitta,/Y.Tsuneoka
- J. Meteor. Soc. v.72 Summer monsoon over the Asian continent and western north Pacific Murakami,T.;J.Matsumoto
- J. Meteor. Soc. v.65 Convective activities in the tropical western Pacific and their impact on the northern hemisphere summer circulation Nitta.T.
- J. Climate v.7 Improved global sea surface temperature analysis Reynolds,R.W.;T.M.Smith
- J. Meteor. Soc. v.72 Biennial oscillation associated with the east Asia summer monsoon and tropical sea surface temperature Shen,S.;K.-M.Lau
- J. Meteor. Soc. v.70 no.1 Intraseasonal oscillation and the onset and retreat dates of the summer monsoon east, southeast Asia and the western Pacific resion using GMS high cloud amount data Tanaka,M.
- J. Meteor. Soc. v.72 The onset and retreat dates of the Austral summer monsoon over Indonesia,Australia and New Guinea Tanaka,M.