- Volume 3 Issue 2
An emergy analysis of the main energy flows driving the economy of humans and life support systems was made including environmental energies, fuels, and imports, all expressed as solar emjoules. The total emergy use (4, 373 E20 sej/yr) is 90 per cent from imported sources, fuels and goods and services. The emergy flows from the environment are modest, because the share of global inputs such as ruin and geological uplift flux is modest. Consequently, the ratio of outside investment to attracting natural resources is already large, like other industrialized countries. The population level is already in excess of carrying capacity. The emergy use per person in Korea indicates a moderate emergy standard of living, even though the indigenous resource is very poor. If the present economy were running entirely on stored reserves of fuels, soils, woods, etc., it would last about 2 years. Its carrying capacity for steady state on its renewable sources is only 3.3 million people, compared to 43.3 million in 1991. Continued availability of foreign oil at a favorable balance of emergy trade, currently about 7 to 1 net emergy, is the basis for present economic activity and must decrease as the net emergy of foreign oil purchased goes down. Close economic integration with Middle East may determine how long this is possible in the future.
- J. Env. Mgt. v.32 Ecology and economy;Emergy synthesis and public policy in Taiwan Huang,S.L.;H.T.Odum
- Annual climatological report Korea Mereorological Administration
- The Whitehouse v.3 Energetics of food production, in The world food problem, Report of the President`s Science Advisory Committee, Panel on world food supply Odum,H.T.
- Pollution and marine ecology Biological circuits and marine systems of Texas Odum,H.T.;T.A.Oslon(ed.);F.J.Burgess(ed.)
- System analysis and simulation in ecology v.2 An energy circuit language for ecological and social system: its physical basis Odum,H.T.;B.Patten(ed.)
- Energy and environment in New Zealand, Joint Centre for Environmental Science Odum,E.C.;G.Scott;H.T.Odum
- Systems ecology, Introduction Odum,H.T.
- Working paper WP-83-82 International Institute for Applied System Analysis Energy analysis overview of nations Odum,H.T.(ed.);Odum,E.C.(ed.)
- Science v.242 Self organization, transformity and information Odum,H.T.
- Energy, envrionment and public policy: A guide to the analysis of system, UNEP Regional Seas Reports and Studies, No. 95 Odum,H.T.;E.C.Odum;M.T.Brown;D.LaHart;C.Bersok;J.Sendzimir
- Emergy analysis of shrimp mariculture in Ecuador, Working paper prepared for the Coastal Resources Center Odum,H.T.;J.E.Arding
- Energy policies of the Republic of Korea OECD/IEA
- Zietschrift fur Volkswirtchaft und Statistik;Revue Suisse D`economie Politique et de Statstique v.120 no.3 Energy externality and the economy of Switzerland, Schweiz Pillet,G.;H.T.Odum
- Korea in the world economy SaKong,Il
- Korea statistical yearbook v.39 The Korean Statistical Association
- World resources 1990-1991, A guide to the global envrionment The World Resources Institute
- Proceeding of the 36th annual meeting of International Society for the Systems Science Modeling interaction between environment and human society in Italy:An emergy analysis Ulgiati,S.;H.T.Odum;S.Bastianoni;L.Peeno(ed.)