- Volume 22 Issue 5
Effect of Partial Oxygen Pressure on the Growth and Defense Enzyme Activities of Streptomyces coelicolor in continuous culture system
Streptomyces coelicolor의 연속 배양시 산소 분압에 따른 방어 효소의 활성 변화
- 박용두 (서울대학교 자연과학대학 미생물학과 분자미생물학 연구센터) ;
- 이계준 (서울대학교 자연과학대학 미생물학과 분자미생물학 연구센터) ;
- 노정혜 (서울대학교 자연과학대학 미생물학과 분자미생물학 연구센터)
- Published : 1994.10.01
Effect of partial oxygen pressure on the cell growth and the activities of oxidative defense enzymes were measured in the continuous culture of Streptomyces coelicolor. Both the wild type and the mutant strain resistant to hydrogen peroxide were cultured and the dry cell weight of the two cultures were measured at different oxygen tensions. Growth of the wild type was inhibited by oxygen at above 0.5 vvm. Growth of the hydrogen peroxide resistant mutant was stimulated by pure oxygen at 0.5 vvm but was inhibited by oxygen at 1.0 vvm. Therefore, growth of the hydrogen peroxide resistant mutant was less affected by the deleterious oxidative stress of oxygen. Activities of the several defense enzymes were also measured at different oxygen tensions. Activities of catalase and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase increased significantly as oxygen pressure increased in the wild type culture. In the mutant, however, increase in those enzyme activities was not obvious whereas the uninduced levels of the above enzymes were higher than those of wild type. As judged by Western blotting, the amount of the major catalase increased as the oxygen pressure increased. This indicates that the induction of the catalase activity by oxygen pressure is mostly due to the increase in the expression level for the major catalase.
Streptomyces coelicolor;partial oxygen pressure;continous culture;catalase;glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase
- Anal. Biochem. v.175 Assay of glutathione reductase in crude tissue homogenates using 5.5'-dithiobis(2-nitrobenzoicacid) Smith,I.K.;T.L.Vierheller;C.A.Throne
- Kor. Jour. Microbiol. v.30 Multiple catalases in Streptomyces coelicolor Kim,H.P.;J.S.Lee;Y.C.Hah;J.H.Roe
- J. Gen. Microbiol. v.139 The induction of oxidative stress enzymes in Streptomyces coelicolor upon hydrogen peroxide treatment Lee,J.S.;Y.C.Hah;J.H.Roe
- Worthington Enzyme Manual Decker,L.A.
- Oxdative stress(1st ed.) Sies,H.
- Gel electrophoresis of proteins: A practical approach Hames,B.D.;D.Rickwood
- J. bacteriol. v.74 Two-stage induction of the soxRS (superoxide response) regulon of Escherichia coli Wu,J.;B.Weiss
- Anal. Biochem. v.131 Protein blotting: Principles and Application Gershoni,J.M.;G.E.Palade
- Science v.248 Transcriptional regulator of oxidative stress-inducible genes: direct activation by oxidation Storz,G.;L.A.Tartaglia;B.N.Ames
- Ph.D.Thesis. Seoul National University Response of Streptomyces coelicolor against the hydrogen peroxide stress Lee,J.S.
- J. bacteriol. v.172 soxR, a locus governing a superoxide response regulon in E.coli K 12 Tsaneva,I.R.;B.Weiss
- J. Biol. Chem. v.195 Spectrophotometric method for measuring the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide by catalase Beers,R.F.Jr.;I.W.Sizer
- Anal. Biochem. v.44 Superoxide dismutase: improved assays and an assay applicable to acrylamide gels Beauchamp,C.I.;I.Fridovich