- Volume 10 Issue 2
ERS-1 AND CCRS C-SAR Data Integration For Look Direction Bias Correction Using Wavelet Transform
- Won, J.S. (The University of Manitoba) ;
- Moon, Woo-Il M. (The University of Manitoba) ;
- Singhroy, Vern (Canada Centre for Remote Sensing) ;
- Lowman, Paul-D.Jr. (Geophysics Branch, Code 921, Goddard Space Flight Center)
- Published : 1994.06.01
Look direction bias in a single look SAR image can often be misinterpreted in the geological application of radar data. This paper investigates digital processing techniques for SAR image data integration and compensation of the SAR data look direction bias. The two important approaches for reducing look direction bias and integration of multiple SAR data sets are (1) principal component analysis (PCA), and (2) wavelet transform(WT) integration techniques. These two methods were investigated and tested with the ERS-1 (VV-polarization) and CCRS*s airborne (HH-polarization) C-SAR image data sets recorded over the Sudbury test site, Canada. The PCA technique has been very effective for integration of more than two layers of digital image data. When there only two sets of SAR data are available, the PCA thchnique requires at least one more set of auxiliary data for proper rendition of the fine surface features. The WT processing approach of SAR data integration utilizes the property which decomposes images into approximated image ( low frequencies) characterizing the spatially large and relatively distinct structures, and detailed image (high frequencies) in which the information on detailed fine structures are preserved. The test results with the ERS-1and CCRS*s C-SAR data indicate that the new WT approach is more efficient and robust in enhancibng the fine details of the multiple SAR images than the PCA approach.
- Remote Sensing of Environment v.1 Monitoring land-cover change by principal component analysis of multi-temporal Landsat data Byrne,G.F.;Crapper,P.F.;Mayo,K.K.
- J. Math. Phys. v.27 Painless non-orthogonal expansions Daubechies,I.;Grossman,A.;Meyer,Y.
- Comm. Pure Appl. Math. v.41 Orthogonal bases of compactly supported wavelets Daubechies,I.
- IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory v.36 The wavelet transform, time-frequency localization and signal analysis Daubechies,I.
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin v.64 Seasat orbital radar imagery for geological mapping: Tennessee Kentucky-Virginia Ford,J.P.
- SIAM J. Math. Anal. v.15 Decomposition of hardy functions into square integrable wavelets of constant shape Grossman,A.;Morlet,J.
- IEEE Trans. Pattern Analy. Machine Intell. v.6 Digital step edges from zero crossing of second directional filters Haralick,R.M.
- Proc. 9th Canadian Symp. Remote Sens. Lineament mapping of central Nova Scotia using Landsat-MSS and Seasat-SAR imagery Harris,J.
- IBM J. Res. Develop. v.22 Color composite pictures from principal axis components of multispectral scanner data Kaneko,T.
- IEEE Trans. Geosci., Remote Sensing. v.25 Shuttle imaging radar (SIR-B) investigations of the Canadian Shield; initial report Lowman,P.D.Jr.;Harris,J.;Masuoka,P.M.;Singhroy,V.H.;Slaney,V.R.
- IEEE Trans. Acoust. Speech, Signal Process. v.11 A theory for multi-resolution signal decomposition: the wavelet representation Mallat,S.G.
- Photogramm. Eng. Remote Sens. v.54 Digital processing of orbital radar data to enhance geologic structure: examples from the Canadian Shield Masuoka,P.M.;Harris,J.;Lowman,P.D.Jr.;Blodget,H.W.
- Ondelettes, fonction splines, et analyses grauee Meyer,Y.
- Geophysics Application of wavelet transform in seismic data analysis Miao,X.G.;Moon,W.M.
- Canadian J. Remote Sens. v.17 Application of airborne C-SAR and SPOT image data to the geological setting of the Nahanni earthquake area Moon,W.M.;Won,J.S.;Li,B.;Slaney,V.R.;Lamontagne,M.
- Geophysics v.47 Wave propagation and sampling theory Morlet,J.;Arenes,G.;Fourgeau,E.;Giard,D.
- Episodes v.15 Radar geology:Techniques and results Singhroy,V.
- Proceedings, Canadian Remote Sensing Symposium, Shebrook (6pp) Analysis of ERS-1 SAR for Structural and Surficial Mapping in the Sudbury Basin, Canada Singhroy,V.;Lowman,P.D.;Morasse,C.R.
- Ph.D. thesis, The University of Manitoba Inversion of synthetic aperture radar (SAR) data using Born approximation Won,J.S.