- Volume 10 Issue 2
In spatial information processing, particularly in non-renewable resource exploration, the spatial data sets, including remote sensing, geophysical and geochemical data, have to be geocoded onto a reference map and integrated for the final analysis and interpretation. Application of a computer based GIS(Geographical Information System of Geological Information System) at some point of the spatial data integration/fusion processing is now a logical and essential step. It should, however, be pointed out that the basic concepts of the GIS based spatial data fusion were developed with insufficient mathematical understanding of spatial characteristics or quantitative modeling framwork of the data. Furthermore many remote sensing and geological data sets, available for many exploration projects, are spatially incomplete in coverage and interduce spatially uneven information distribution. In addition, spectral information of many spatial data sets is often imprecise due to digital rescaling. Direct applications of GIS systems to spatial data fusion can therefore result in seriously erroneous final results. To resolve this problem, some of the important mathematical information representation techniques are briefly reviewed and discussed in this paper with condideration of spatial and spectral characteristics of the common remote sensing and exploration data. They include the basic probabilistic approach, the evidential belief function approach (Dempster-Shafer method) and the fuzzy logic approach. Even though the basic concepts of these three approaches are different, proper application of the techniques and careful interpretation of the final results are expected to yield acceptable conclusions in cach case. Actual tests with real data (Moon, 1990a; An etal., 1991, 1992, 1993) have shown that implementation and application of the methods discussed in this paper consistently provide more accurate final results than most direct applications of GIS techniques.
- APCO89 Systematic approach to dealing with uncertainty of geoscience information in mineral exploration Agterberg,F.P.;A.Weiss(ed.)
- Ph.D. thesis proposal, The University of Manitoba Development of an AI/Expert system for non-renewable resource exploration An, Ping
- Canadian J. Explor. Geophys. v.27 Application of fuzzy set theory for integration of geological, geophysical and remote sensing data An,P.;Moon,W.M.;Rencz,A.
- Abstract, 1992 CSEG National Convention On Approximate Spatial Reasoning Processes and Dependent Evidence Integration in Knowledge-Based Approached of Integrating Geophysical and Geological Data An,P.;Moon,W.M.;Bonham-Carter,G.
- Nonrenewable Resources v.3 Uncertainty Management in Integration of Exploration Geophysics Data using Belief Function An,P.;Moon,W.M.;Bonham-Carter,G.
- Photo. Eng. and Remote Sensing v.56 Computational image interpretation models:An overview and a perspective Argialas,D.P.;Harlow,C.A.
- Proceedings of IGARSS'89, IEEE#89CH2768-0 Classification of multi-temporal remotely sensed images based on a fuzzy logic technique Blonda,P.;Polosa,R.L.;Losito,S.;Mori,A.;Pasquariello,G.;Posa,F.;Ragno,D.
- The Statistical Applications in the Earth Sciences Comparison of image analysis and geographic information systems for integrating geoscientific maps Bonham-Carter,G.F.;F.P.Agterberg(ed.);G.F.Bonham-Carter
- Microcomputer Applications in Geology II Application of a microcomputer based geographic information system to mineral potential mapping Bonham-Carter,G.F.;Agterberg,F.P.;Henley,J.T.(ed.);Merriam,D.F.(ed.)
- Photo. Eng. and Remote Sensing v.54 Integration of geological data sets for gold exploration in Nova Scotia Bonham-Carter,F.G.;Agterberg,F.P.;Wright,D.F.
- The Statistical Applications in the Earth Sciences Weight of evidence modelling:a new approach to mapping mineral potential Bonham-Carter,G.F.;F.P.Agterberg;D.F.Wright;F.P.Agterberg(ed.);G.F.Bonham-Carter(ed.)
- Extended Abstract, ISME-AI'90 Combination rules of spatial geoscience data for mineral exploration Chung,C.F.;Moon,W.M.
- Geoinformatics v.2 Combination rules of spatial geoscience data for mineral exploration Chung,C.F.;Moon,W.M.
- Proceedings, IGARSS'89 An Expert system for using digital terrain models Goodenough,D.G.;Baker,B.;Plunkett,G.;Schanzer,D.
- Proceedings, IGARSS'89 Multi-source data analysis in remote sensing and geographic information systems based on Shafer's theory of belief Kim,H.;Swain,P.H.
- IEEE-GRE v.25 Probabilistic and evidential approach to multi-source data analysis Lee,T.;Richards,J.A.;Swain,P.H.
- USGS Bulletin #1697 The m-PROSPECTOR mineral consultant system McCammon,R.B.
- Proc. IGARSS'89 Application of Evidential Belief Theory in Geological, Geophysical and Remote Sensing Data Integration Moon,W.M.
- IEEE-GRE v.28 Integration of Geophysical and Geological Data using Evidential Belief Function Moon,W.M.
- Lecture Notes on Geophysical Information Processing Geophysical Information Processing Moon,W.M.
- 1992 CSEG National Convention Mathematical Basis for Information Representation and Integration of Spatial Exploration Data Moon,W.M.
- Extended Abstract, ISME-AI'90 Integration of geophysical, geological and remote sensing data using fuzzy set theory Moon,W.M.;An.P.
- Geophysics Representation and Integration of Geological and Geophysical Exploration data Moon,W.M.;An,P.
- A Mathematical Theory of Evidence Shafer,G.
- Annals of Statistics v.15 Belief function representations of statistical evidence Wally,P.
- Proceedings of IGARSS'89, IEEE#89CH2768-0 A fuzzy expert system for remote sensing image analysis Wang,F.
- IEEE Information and Control v.8 Fuzzy Sets Zadeh,L.A.
- Fuzzy Sets and Systems v.4 Latent Connective, Human Decision Making Zimmermann,H.;Zysno,P.