- Volume 10 Issue 2
A semi-empirical model for microwave polarimetric radar backscattering from bare soil surfaces was developed using polarmetric radar measurements and the knowledge based on the theoretical and numerical solutions. The microwave polarimetric backscatter measurements were conducted for bare soil surfaces under a variety of roughness and moisture conditions at L-, C-, and X-band frequencies at incidence angles ranging from 10` to 70`. Since the accrate target parameters as well as the radar parameters are necessary for radar scattering modeling, a complete and accurate set of ground truth data were also collected using a laser profile meter and dielectric probes for each surface condition, from which accurate measurements were made of the rms height, correlation length, and dielectric constant. At first, the angular and spectral dependencies of the measured radar backscatter for a wide range of roughnesses and moisture conditions are examined. Then, the measured scattering behavior was tested using theoretical and numerical solutions. Based on the experimental observations and the theoretical and numerical solutions, a semi-empirical model was developed for backscattering coeffients in terms of the surface roughness parameters and the relative dielectric constant of the soil surface. The model was found to yield very good agreement with the backscattering measurements of this study as well as with independent measurements.
- The Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves from Rough Surfaces Beckmann,P.;A.Spizzichino
- IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat. v.AP-26 Backscattering from a Gaussian Distributed Perfectly Conducting Rough Surface Brown,G.S.
- IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS) Digest v.2 Theory and Design of a Field-Portable Dielectric Measurement System Brunfeldt,D.R.
- IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat. v.AP-29 Multiple Scattering and Depolarization by a Randomly Rough Kirchhoff Surfaces Fung,A.K.;H.J.Eom
- J. Opt. Soc. Am. A v.2 no.12 Numerical Simulation of Scattering from Simple and Composite Random Surfaces Fung,A.K.;M.F.Chen
- IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing v.30 Backscattering from a Randomly Rough Dielectric Surface Fung,A.K.;Z.Li;K.S.Chen
- IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing v.23 Microwave Dielectric Behavior of Wet Soil -Part-I: Empirical Models and Experimental Observations Hallikainen,M.T.;F.T.Ulaby;M.C.Dobson;M.A.El-Rayes;L.Wu
- Time-Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields Harrington,R.F.
- Field Computation by Moment Methods Harrington,R.F.
- IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing v.28 Laboratory Evaluation of a Field-Portable Dielectric/Soil-Moisture Probe Jackson,T.J.
- IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing v.30 no.2 An Emperical Model and an Inversion Technique for Radar Scattering from Bare Soil Surfaces Oh,Y.;K.Sarabandi;F.T.Ulaby
- Ph.D. Thesis, The University of Michigan Microwave Polarimetric Backscattering from Natural Rough Surfaces Oh,Y.
- IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing An Improved Numerical Simulation of Electromagnetic Scattering from Perfectly Conducting Random Surfaces Oh,Y.;K.Sarabandi
- Numerical Recipes:The Art of Scientific Computing Press,W.H.;B.P.Flannery;S.A.Teukolsky;W.T.Vetterling
- Communication in Pure and Applied Mathematics v.4 Reflection of Electromagnetic Waves by Slightly Rough Surfaces Rice,S.O.
- IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing v.28 no.1 Calibration of Polarimetric Radar Systems with Good Polarization Isolation Sarabandi,K.;F.T.Ulaby;M.A.Tassoudji
- IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing v.28 A Convenient Technique for Polarimetric Calibration of Radar Systems Sarabandi,K.;F.T.Ulaby
- IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat. v.40 Measurement and Calibration of Differential Mueller Matrix of Distributed Targets Sarabandi,K.;Y.Oh;F.T.Ulaby
- Radiation Laboratory Report No. 022486-T-2 Design Consideration and Implementation of the LCX Polarimetric Scatterometer (POLARSCAT) Tassoudji,M.A.;K.Sarabandi;F.T.Ulaby
- Theory of Microwave Remote Sensing Tsang,L.;J.A.Kong;R.T.Shin
- Active and Passive v.2 Microwave Remote Sensing Ulaby,F.T.;M.K.Moore;A.K.Fung
- Radar Polarimetry for Geoscience Applications Ulaby,F.T.;C.Elachi
- Radio Sci. v.20 Investigation of a Surface Field Phase Perturbation Technique for Scattering from Rough Surfaces Wineberner,D.;A.Ishimaru