Investigation of Daily Life and Consciousness of Longevous People in Korea -(1)The Regional Features of Longevity Areas-

우리나라 장수자(長壽者)의 생활(生活) 및 의식조사(意識調査)에 관한 연구(硏究) -(1) 장수지역(長壽地域)의 지역적(地域的) 특성(特性)-

  • Published : 1986.06.30

Abstract

This study was designed to be a link in the chain of the investigation on daily life and consciousness of longevous people in Korea, and to investigate the regional feature of longevity areas. The daily life and consciousness were investigated on 379 subjects(male 121, female 258) of the aged who were above 80 years of age, from June to November in 1985. This paper is to report the results investigated the longevity rate, distribution, classification and weather of longevity districts, and also the actual conditions such as the functions of daily life and educational degree of longevous people. 1. The number of longevous people in Korea was 171,449 (male 42,842, female 128,607), and the average longevity rate was 0.46% against total population in Korea(male 0.23%, female 0.69%). 2. Of the longevity rates of shi and/or do in Korea, Cheju(1.03%) was the highest among these districts, and decreased in the order of Chonnam(0.79%), Chonbuk(0.66%), Kyongbuk(0.65%) and Kyongnam(0.61%), whereas the large cities such as Inchon(0.22%), Seoul(0.23%), Pusan(0.23%) and Taegu(0.28%) were remarkably lower than districts in seasides and mountains. 3. The districts above 1.0% of longevity rate in Korea showed 17-guns, and the distribution of these districts was 10-guns of Chonnam, 2-guns of Kyongbuk and Kyongnam, and 1-gun of Kyonggi, Cho-nbuk and Cheju, respectively. 4. Of these districts, Pukcheju(1.65%) was the highest, and decreased in the order of Namhae(1.56%), Sungju(1.24%), Posong(1.22%) and Koksong(1.20%). The highest figure(male 0.71%, female 2.51%) was observed in Pukcheju as contrasted with 0.23%(male) and 0.69%(female) of the average longevity rate in Korea. 5. The sex ratio of longevous people in Korea showed the female/male ratio of 3.0. It is, therefore, believed that the longevity rate of female was 3 times higher than that of male. 6. The longevity districts were classified into seven districts in seasides, three districts in isolated islands, and seven rural districts in mountains. 7. The situation of weather in longevity districts was in the range of 11.2 to $14.8^{\circ}C$ at annual average temperature, and 878.5 to 1585.9mm at annual average rainfall. 8. Of the educational degree of longevous people, uneducated(71.5%) was the highest, and followed by the order of village school(15.8%) and above elementary school(4.8%). 9. In the functions of daily life, the aged moving actively(53.0%) was the highest among these longevous people, followed by the aged moving a little(23.5%). Therefore, it is believed that health degree of these longevous peoples by the functions of daily life was very gratifying.

Keywords